This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• After playing last night I was reminded, after not playing for 6 months, that there is still no respect for a good Huntsman Sniper.
  • @Muppet: Join us tonight and I'll baby-step you through some basics. We'll have you fragging in no time.
    I appreciate the invite a whole lot!! I'm up over my head in Connecticon preparations right now though (going into the AC) so it'll have to be after that. :-)

• The main issue I have with TF2 is that it seems like every server always has friendly fire turned off. That RUINS the spy class.
  • The game's very nature doesn't support friendly fire well. People turn it off because they find it annoying.

To wit, this has been the case in every iteration of Team Fortress, even with Weapons Factory. Spy check everyone all the time.
  • Back when I played TFC I went out of my way to find FF ON servers. The spy class could be so much better if this wasn't even an option.
  • Back when I played TFC I went out of my way to find FF ON servers. The spy class could be so much better if this wasn't even an option.
    But then the other classes break due to the nature of the game (small maps, tons of players, etc...). The way the majority likes to play prevents FF from making any sense in most cases.

I only play CounterStrike on FF servers, FWIW.

But then the other classes break due to the nature of the game (small maps, tons of players, etc...). The way the majority likes to play prevents FF from making any sense in most cases.

I only play CounterStrike on FF servers, FWIW.

Oh I agree, TF evolved in a stupid way. ;-)

• The main issue I have with TF2 is that it seems like every server always has friendly fire turned off. That RUINS the spy class.
    It doesn't ruin the Spy class, but it certainly makes it a lot harder. Spy has the highest learning curve of any class because of this, but they are also potentially the most devastating/bothersome for the opposing team.

• There should be no foolproof check for a spy in this way. I know my context is about 10 years out of date on this one, but spy was a much different game in TFC with FF on, and in my opinion way better.

There's no "finesse" to being a spy when everybody "spy checks" everyone they pass in a hallway every single time, all the time, in every scenario.
  • There should be no foolproof check for a spy in this way. I know my context is about 10 years out of date on this one, but spy was a much different game in TFC with FF on, and in my opinion way better.

There's no "finesse" to being a spy when everybody "spy checks" everyone they pass in a hallway every single time, all the time, in every scenario.
    A. People do not sky check everyone, all the time, even when they should and B. spies have invisibility and that's their main tool for getting behind enemy lines.

• And C) You won't know I'm there until it's too late. Finesse that.
  • People do not sky check everyone, all the time, even when they should
    Yep; you gotta watch out for those explosive-jumping soldiers and demomen ^_~
  • Also when you are disguised it is not instantly obvious that you took damage from a Spy check, unless you are set on fire. I have a number of times taken a few shots, then acted like an annoyed teammate, then had them leave me alone.

I once sat in the enemy intelligence room in 2fort with an enemy engineer for 10 minutes after doing that. Until I found a way to get behind him sap all his stuff and backstab him.
  • Also when you are disguised it is not instantly obvious that you took damage from a Spy check, unless you are set on fire. I have a number of times taken a few shots, then acted like an annoyed teammate, then had them leave me alone.

I once sat in the enemy intelligence room in 2fort with an enemy engineer for 10 minutes after doing that. Until I found a way to get behind him sap all his stuff and backstab him.
    In that kind of situations I don't trust anyone who doesn't shoot back.

• I have to say the Pyro goggles vision with gun is wonderful. The changes on the signs and terrain as well as "dominating" to "best friends" and "revenge" to "broke up" made me giggle to no end.

Also, if I'm healing you and you can see that I'm at 100% uber, fucking charge in. I know what I'm doing!
  • edited June 2012
    Also when you are disguised it is not instantly obvious that you took damage from a Spy check, unless you are set on fire. I have a number of times taken a few shots, then acted like an annoyed teammate, then had them leave me alone.

I've had something similar happen - Except I was playing heavy, and the guys on the other team would cruise through at regular intervals, see a heavy "Guarding" the intelligence, flanked by two sentries, and wander away. Soon as the other team didn't come through on their regular patrol, sap, grab and run.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2012
    Also when you are disguised it is not instantly obvious that you took damage from a Spy check, unless you are set on fire. I have a number of times taken a few shots, then acted like an annoyed teammate, then had them leave me alone.

Lucky, on the servers i play, any enemy engie walks up to whoever is nearby, does the litmus test of "Does he survive three hits with my ol wrench" before going back to huddling behind a dispenser with his back to the wall.

I agree that FF would make the spy class much more dominant, as it is, when you're on a server with a high enough overall skill level, everyone spy checks. Of course one can always run forward and try to see if you can go through the dude as an alternative spy check method. Good spies however, just do a quick 180 dance or flick behind you and your dead.
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • edited July 2012
    We should try to have fun times on the FRC Server more so I can have mic enabled and not hear so much talk about vaginas.
    The Breakfast Club shall consider being present and discuss cunts for your enjoyment.
    Also, if I'm healing you and you can see that I'm at 100% uber, fucking charge in. I know what I'm doing!
    Do you even Z3?
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Also, if I'm healing you and you can see that I'm at 100% uber, fucking charge in. I know what I'm doing!
    Do you even Z3?
    What does that even mean? I do not speak Nine-Dutch.
  • Also, if I'm healing you and you can see that I'm at 100% uber, fucking charge in. I know what I'm doing!
    Do you even Z3?
    What does that even mean? I do not speak Nine-Dutch.
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Voice_commands
    Z3 = "Go Go Go!"
  • Ooooh. Yeah, I really need to do that more. /stillanub
  • I never use those, except for the medic call.

Lucky, on the servers i play, any enemy engie walks up to whoever is nearby, does the litmus test of "Does he survive three hits with my ol wrench" before going back to huddling behind a dispenser with his back to the wall.

I agree that FF would make the spy class much more dominant, as it is, when you're on a server with a high enough overall skill level, everyone spy checks. Of course one can always run forward and try to see if you can go through the dude as an alternative spy check method. Good spies however, just do a quick 180 dance or flick behind you and your dead.
    The lifeblood of the spy in most situations is to stick around where fighting is already happening and everyone is too busy firing on the enemy to spy-check and then backstab key targets, cloak out, and circle back to repeat. Most of the time when a spy gets checked too often, it's because he was hanging out outside of his zone.
  • Goddamnit - got a hankering to play tf2, tried to find a server - the only Australian servers that are populated are in one of three states - Trading server, Achivement idle, or private.
  • It's missing the Scout getting gibbed at the end.
  • edited July 2012
    sniff...this was beautiful...and so true

So glad that source filmmaker exists now, blows gary's mod out of the water.

Post edited by lifecircle on
  • sniff...this was beautiful...and so true

There was some funny stuff that came out of Gary's Mod, but most of it was this weird kinda everyone moves instantly in this very unreal way that bothered me most of the time.
  • At the same time, that style enhanced some of the videos. You couldn't make Half-Life Full Life Consequences in Filmmaker.
  • sniff...this was beautiful...and so true

There was some funny stuff that came out of Gary's Mod, but most of it was this weird kinda everyone moves instantly in this very unreal way that bothered me most of the time.
    I dunno, there's some stuff I've seen in garry's mod that's well beyond my meagre skills in SFM right now. Then again, I'm trying to simultaneously teach myself filmmaking and the animation system, so it's a bit of a slog, but I'm LOVING it.