This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

Comments

• Sorry Dudette. (I normally call girls and guys dudes, so I thought it was the safer choice)
  • Yeah, I've played both CT3 and CT5, being the first woman in the forums I was in to complete said games.
  • Yeah, I've played both CT3 and CT5, being the first woman in the forums I was in to complete said games.
    Oh, I see. By the way would you recommend the PS2 ones. I never gave them the time of the day mostly because importing them to here would be kind of costly and I am not sure if they were any good.

• Never played them, nor had the chance to. I've never had a PS2 or PS3. I think we should take this "conversation" somewhere else to give room for the others to talk.
  • edited January 2012
    Sure everyone has already seen this, but

New Shinichirō Watanabe + Yoko Kanno thing in April.
    Nishimi Kaoru has moved from city to city and school to school because of his father's job. So the first day at his new school was just routine for him. Being intellectual and the new transfer student, he has always been seen as an outcast and all Kaoru had to do was bare it until the next time he moved. But things were slightly different this time. First, he started to get close to the class president, Mukae Ritsuko, and, secondly, unlikely as it seemed, grew closer to Kawabuchi Sentaro. Sentaro was infamous for getting into fights, skipping class and was an overall bad boy. Strangely enough, the three of them find common ground in music, namely jazz, and Kaoru finds himself actually enjoying the new town.
    Sounds super up my alley.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • New Shinichirō Watanabe + Yoko Kanno thing in April
    That's all you needed to say.
  • edited January 2012
    Whoa! Awesome sauce! I am not going to be wound up about this though, because I want to be pleasantly surprised rather than let down.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2012
    New season starting up and there's really fuck all to see:

The only things I'm sure to watch is Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Aporon), the new Shinichiro Watanabe anime and A letter to Momo (Momo e no Tegami), a Production I.G. film directed by Hiroyuki Okiura who did Jin-Roh: The Wolf brigade and has some other pretty big credits to his name. Uchuu Kyoudai could also be interesting, but other than that there is absolutely nothing that speaks to me or stands out really.

Of course, there is Ozuma for the Leiji Matsumoto fanatics in this forum. Also a weird observation is that Gainax is making a Shonen Jump property into an anime, but I've read like the first chapter of Medaka Box and knew I didn't care about it at all. Also, what's up with all the football anime as of late?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited April 2012
    Sankarea is actually surprisingly good, I recommend it, and Jormungand is really fucking good. Nazo no Kanojo is surprisingly good, despite the mildly insane premise.

I'm gonna check out Upotte, because it's a fucking stupid premise and looks god-awful. Which is right up my alley.

Fucked if I know what's up with the football of late.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2012
    Sakamichi no Aporon will be enough for me. There are two gag anime series that look promisng. Shirokuma Cafe a cafe run by a polar bear. Which could possibly be surreal and cute. And Yurumates, rounin's living their daily lives. From the super deformed screen-capture. That one looks like it could have easy going goofy humor.

Edit: Updated version.

http://static.neregate.com/2012/04/neregate.com-Spring-2012-Anime-v4.png
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Dat Lupin.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm interested in Sakamichi no Aporon and Uchuu Kyoudai. Both of them are based on award winning manga, and of course Sakamichi has Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno back together.

If the season produces 2 shows I actually watch, it's batting above average.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Watched the first episode of Space Brothers (a.k.a Uchuu Kyoudai) today, and it was really, really good. I'm definitely going to keep watching it.

Also watched the first episode of Sankarea, and it was okay. Nothing really outstanding. Some of the architecture and how the shots are framed reminded me a lot of the work usually done by Studio Shaft. Also really liked the Shaun of the Dead reference, which isn't really something you'd expect in an anime.

Out of curiosity I also watched the first episode of Medaka box, just to see whether my judgment still holds up. And yeah, it's pretty bleh and Gainax is putting the bounce to the max. Only highlight was really the use of TTGL's Kamiya as a school delinquent.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm interested in Sakamichi no Aporon and Uchuu Kyoudai. Both of them are based on award winning manga, and of course Sakamichi has Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno back together.

If the season produces 2 shows I actually watch, it's batting above average.
    Omnuntia sent me the trailer for Apollo on the hill/Sakamichi no Aporon last night, and while I don't watch a lot of anime, I might watch that one, if even just because HOLY SHIT is animation is good.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I actually see a lot of shows I will at least attempt to watch.

Saint Seiya Omega: Not sure I will see this religiously, but nostalgia and the want to watch at least one dumb shounen every once in a while makes this a watch for me.

Uchuu Kyoudai: I'm going to watch the first episode solely on what you guys have told me, seem right up my alley.

Zetman: I read the manga, enough said.

Gakkatsu: The art style alone sold me to at least give it a try, not hoping for much though.

Lupin III: this is an immediate sold on to me, seeing as I love the series, will probably watch as soon as they come out.

Eureka Seven AO: HOLY SHIT I'M SO FUCKING HYPED UP FOR THIS. Despite knowing that this series is just Evangelion Lite, I really really liked it. with that in mind the ambiguous end to the series had me wanting a sequel as soon as it ended. I'm definitely watching this one.

Hyouka: Premise seems interesting, will watch the first episode to see how it pans out.
  • Ozuma
    First episode was kind of meh. The only thing I am liking about it is the sub warfare but the rest is bland.
    Watched the first episode of Space Brothers
    Second episode is great too A anime easy so far. Love the comedy bits where he was fixing the truck and the interview
  • edited April 2012
    Mutta totally screwed up during that interview.
    So far I get vibes of Planetes, 20th Century Boys and Honey & Clover for some reason from Space Brothers. Not a bad mix at all, but it kind of lacks identity for me so far. It has room to grow into it though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • So I watched the first episode of Kuroko's Basketball, partially because the name mislead me and I thought it was a shonen sports property with a female protagonist (in retrospect, that assumption was kinda sexist. Kuroko is the last name of the protagonist, who is male) and that would have been interesting. However, it does have a nice hook for the main character: He's The Nondescript. The hero is a bench player who is described as having absolutely no presence at all.

It's actually quite well made. I just hope it doesn't go into Slam Dunk territory of stretching episodes. They do have 15 volumes to work with for now.
  • edited April 2012
    I watched the second episode of Saint Seiya Omega. It needs more crazy action scenes from the 80's and more manly scenes like this one.

Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited April 2012
    There needs to be more dubs like this.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Let's see what I think looks good.
    • Nadia Remastered, while being the same show just, well, remastered, is a classic show that I strongly recommend and do love. Then again, if you've already seen or own the original, yeah, it's not that big a deal (though it may be prettier with the remastering.
    • Eureka Seven Ao may be pretty good as I've heard good things about the original Eureka Seven
    • Almost anything with Lupin in it is usually pretty god
    • Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 is the crown jewel of this season (though it's oddly listed as a movie as opposed to a remake of the entire series). Saw the first 10 minutes of the first episode and it's as awesome as the original while filling in some missing plot holes and actually changing things slightly to match the English Starblazers dub (not sure if it's intentional or not, but the reason for one ship captain to stay behind during the opening battle pwnage by the invading Gamilus fleet was changed from a "samurai die honorably in battle" reason in the Japanese original Yamato to the "I'm sacrificing my smaller ship so your bigger ship can escape" reason, which is what they did in Starblazers)
    Otherwise, yeah, a lot of it does look like crap.
  • Seconding Alan in regards to Ozuma being blah. I really enjoyed Galaxy Express 999, so I was kind of excited to see another Leiji Matsumoto property. I watched the first two episodes to get a feel for it. Unfortunately, the characters seem like lifeless cutouts/tropes, without any of the charm, problems, or twists that made Tetsuro, Maetel, and the various other side characters of Galaxy Express interesting. The mains boil down to "plucky boy hero," "childhood friend girl," and "hot mysterious waif chick," a la Skies of Arcadia. The main antagonist also wears a mask, which his only defining feature so far. Yeah.

In addition, I didn't find the procedural submarine combat interesting. From a narrative standpoint, fights are meaningless without anything at stake; at this point in the story, the world and conflicts had barely been established, so the only thing justifying a fight that took up a large chunk of two episodes was "oh yeah, I found this chick. Let's defend her, she's totally hot." (No lie, whole scenes were spent discussing how beautiful Mysterious Waif Chick was.) Other ship combat shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes work because there is always firm establishment of what is at stake, and the personalities behind the fight loom large, drawing in the viewer. Ozuma's fight just seemed empty and gratuitous, stealing time that should have been used to establish the characters.

On the plus side, the female submarine captain stands out among her crew of young tropelets and potato people. I wish she had been the protagonist! The end of episode two hints that she has a past with the masked villain, but it will probably take some time for the show to explore it.

Overall: Meh, pass.
  • Did you know? Moyashimon Returns.
  • :D Summer 2012 has started.
    :D Humanity Has Declined can be summed up as: ":D We're all going to die!" :D

:D
  • edited July 2012
    Okay, I slacked off. Let's get the chart up in here. And complain how I cannot edit posts.

The only show you need to pay attention to is Moyashimon Returns.

Also, picture evidence of the brutality of Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita):
    imageimage:D

EDIT: VIDEO EVIDENCE OF THE HORROR! HEED MY WARNING.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Hrm... everything looks approximately the same when all I have to go on is cover art. Is there anything totally awesome this season that I MUST WATCH. I'm especially prone to psychological stuff, and cool explosions.
  • edited July 2012
    Is there anything totally awesome this season that I MUST WATCH.
    The only show you need to pay attention to is Moyashimon Returns.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited July 2012
    MOYASHIMON!!!!!!!!!!! More kenichi is good as well, still hoping for new Ippo or Hokuto...
    Post edited by MrRoboto on