This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• The blubbery clingyness of Chris's drunk self was endearing largely because of the fact that, having never been drunk before, he was afraid of it making him angry or mean or otherwise unpleasant. A little silly helplessness is cute in comparison to the awkward potential of RAGE MODE. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that all he wanted was to be quiet and cuddle and make out a little and take his clothes off. All acceptable things to do when drunk and alone with your girlfriend.
    That said, he didn't particularly enjoy being drunk or the actual consumption of alcohol, so he kept asking me why people chose to do it to themselves in the name of fun. I basically told him that was a pretty decent view on it for him, to which he lamented the amount of art supplies he could have bought for the amount his friends spent on booze. Stuff like, "I could buy SOO MUCH SILVER with that kind of money" or "I could be being productive and creative".

And instead he was trying to put his jacket on inside out, getting stuck in his shirt, and asking me for more cuddles.

I am okay with this. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of dating someone who enjoys getting drunk all the time. I'm the drinks-every-once-and-awhile type, so I like having someone who's sober at least as much as I am.
  • He needs to learn how to drink correctly. College is not the place for that.

And if you're going to get drunk, at least follow my lead and get drunk enough to be That Guy at a folk metal show.
  • edited October 2012
    I legitimately hate being drunk nowadays, and I'm with him on the time and money thing. On a rollicking night out or to throw a party, my friends will spend anywhere from $100-300 on drinks. A lampworking torch for glassblowing is $250. The math just doesn't work out for me, and my hangovers are so paralytic and miserable that I can't handle it anymore. Lexapro fucks with how my body handles alcohol, so I end up being vomiting sick for 12 hours and then being hungover for another 36.

I'd rather sip a single forty all night and shoot some awesome pictures that people go crazy for, instead of getting roaring drunk, doing some stupid drunk things, and being useless for the entirety of the next day.

PAX East might be an exception, but I'll probably only keep a decent buzz going while everyone else parties hard.
    And if you're going to get drunk, at least follow my lead and get drunk enough to be That Guy at a folk metal show.
    I will admit that being That Guy is something I miss, especially when I was "That Guy Who Threw The Keg."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • PAX East, if the time/opportunity rises, I'd only want a drink or two to complement the atmosphere. Somehow I can't imagine a worse way to spend even one day of my first PAX than hungover...
  • Yeah, that would be a waste of badge money. I think we should have a Gentleman's Night in the Geek Suite with scotch, cigars, suits, and some good food, though.
  • Orrr you could just come visit RIT. :D
    Oh, you know that's happening, dude.

• edited October 2012
    MAGfest is the perfect con for over indulgence. Also, people will be there to teach you how and what to drink.

EDIT: I imagine there will be girls as well. This is the dating thread. I feel as if I should make my statement topical.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
    Oh, you know that's happening, dude.

YESSSSSSSSSSS
    You guys will tell me and we will have shenanigans.

• edited October 2012
    I remember my 21st, kinda. A bottle of rum, half a bottle of southern comfort, some whiskey, beer, and about 90 Cigarettes. The next morning was a shocker. Though I should note, I've been drinking since I was about sixteen or so, and we're legal to drink at 18 down here, so it's a bit different.
    That said, he didn't particularly enjoy being drunk or the actual consumption of alcohol, so he kept asking me why people chose to do it to themselves in the name of fun. I basically told him that was a pretty decent view on it for him, to which he lamented the amount of art supplies he could have bought for the amount his friends spent on booze. Stuff like, "I could buy SOO MUCH SILVER with that kind of money" or "I could be being productive and creative".
    Poor bastard. I'll take him out drinking sometime, but I'll do it properly. And no getting TOO drunk that time. Man, what a shitty first experience, I can completely understand his misgivings about drinking, poor bastard.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    My 21 was absolutely crazy. I was coherent the entire time (I get really sick before I even get close to blacking out so I'm usually the one who recounts the night) but everyone else was completely gone and what was a fairly tame night just turned into a train wreck of hilarity.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited October 2012
    Poor bastard. I'll take him out drinking sometime, but I'll do it properly. And no getting TOO drunk that time. Man, what a shitty first experience, I can completely understand his misgivings about drinking, poor bastard.
    Yeah, to be fair, we do still have an outstanding raincheck on a badass party, you and I... I have a cloak set aside for you, waiting for the occasion.

I'm sure he COULD enjoy it, in the right contexts. But the fact that he's not terribly keen on drinking much or often is something that I would say is for the better in our relationship. Not that he's not an adorable drunk, but I like him sober a lot more (although the adorable side comments were worth it, to be sure).

As far as my 21st, it was quiet but nice. One of my good friends took me out to a bar and bought me a fancy girly drink and we sat and talked for a few hours before catching a movie. The catch was that I spent the next year being told by the rest of my friends that I was not 21 yet (rather, they kept forgetting that I HAD turned 21 already) because I "hadn't celebrated it properly". So for my 22nd birthday, I threw a party.

The whole being-legally-old-enough-to-drink thing never really meant all that much to me, because I'd gotten wine at dinner and beers with my dad for a few years beforehand. I'd also had a healthy and reasonable viewpoint on alcohol my entire life, so it wasn't a big ordeal or taboo or exciting when I hit that age. The main thing I was happy about was that I could buy my own and try a broader range of flavors. I would love to learn to mix drinks well.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah, to be fair, we do still have an outstanding raincheck on a badass party, you and I... I have a cloak set aside for you, waiting for the occasion.
    Ma'am, say no more, lest we accidentally turn this into a harem comedy. Or a Yaoi comedy. He's pretty cute.
    I'm sure he COULD enjoy it, in the right contexts. But the fact that he's not terribly keen on drinking much or often is something that I would say is for the better in our relationship. Not that he's not an adorable drunk, but I like him sober a lot more (although the adorable side comments were worth it, to be sure).
    I have no doubt. That context is the real trick of drinking, finding your stride, pace and place, as well as finding the sweet spot of enjoyably drunk, without being too far over.
    As far as my 21st, it was quiet but nice. One of my good friends took me out to a bar and bought me a fancy girly drink and we sat and talked for a few hours before catching a movie. The catch was that I spent the next year being told by the rest of my friends that I was not 21 yet (rather, they kept forgetting that I HAD turned 21 already) because I "hadn't celebrated it properly". So for my 22nd birthday, I threw a party.
    My 18th was like that - I'd already been drinking before that, but we went out, had a nice dinner, a few fancy drinks, and went for a movie. The big party was my 21st, but the reasoning was different - giving me a little time to find my stride and get all the silly drinking out of my system, so I could enjoy the party itself.
    The whole being-legally-old-enough-to-drink thing never really meant all that much to me, because I'd gotten wine at dinner and beers with my dad for a few years beforehand. I'd also had a healthy and reasonable viewpoint on alcohol my entire life, so it wasn't a big ordeal or taboo or exciting when I hit that age. The main thing I was happy about was that I could buy my own and try a broader range of flavors. I would love to learn to mix drinks well.
    It's sort of a big deal down here, but more just an excuse to have a really big party than anything else. Drinking underage is hardly taboo, most people do it at least a little, so drinking is no big - it's a strong part of our culture.

Post edited by Churba on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    I had been purchasing wine and mixing drinks for some time before I turned 21. On my 21st birthday, I drove to the local liquor store to buy a bottle of gin. They didn't even ask for my ID. I felt vaguely cheated.

That evening, I made a single gin and tonic and continued playing games.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Granted Rym you looked 35 at the time with all that hard living.
  • When it turned 21 my father sat me down with a bottle of tequila and we proceeded to map out every stage of my own personal sobriety scale, from giggly to unconscious. It was quite an education.

I cant help but feel that he could have picked a better liquor. Tequila and I stop being friends about 7 shots in.
  • edited October 2012
    Indeed, with a drink of lower alcohol content, you could have mapped out your tolerance with much finer resolution.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited October 2012
    Mine's simple:

One beer: pleasantly obsequious
    Two beers: Loud, stumbling, shouldn't drive, think I'm hilarious
    Three beers: telling everybody what their problem is, in a helpful tone

I don't think I've ever gotten to four beers.

Now, my tolerance for hard liquor seems to be much higher. I can do 4 or 5 shots of 100 proof Southern Comfort before I begin to feel a little warm. I've never been able to figure this out, shouldn't alcohol be alcohol? Not that I've done a ton of research.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • My worst drink in terms of getting drunk way too quickly was gin and pear cider. It was deliciously tasty, but three of those destroyed me.
  • Indeed, with a drink of lower alcohol content, you could have mapped out your tolerance with much finer resolution.
    It was partially a "earn-my-respect/right-of-manhood" things. My pops has always been of the opinion that if you cant do tequila shots strait without wincing then you have no balls.

As it was my higher than average body mass allowed me to get sufficient granularity out of the test as performed.
  • I think it's also relevant for me to mention that I weigh 105 or so pounds, so that will be a...Factor, in my drinking.
  • Yeah... that would limit your maximum alcohol intake thusly...
  • Body weight isn't really as decisive a factor in tolerance as a lot of people seem to think.

I mean, it'll be a factor in whether you experience dangerous toxicity, maybe, but in terms of the effects on your behavior and cognition, that's pretty highly variable.
  • Genetically, I also think my Mom has lowish tolerance, while my Dad has good tolerance.

We don't know how I'll act, but we do know that I'll need to control my intake.
  • Indeed, with a drink of lower alcohol content, you could have mapped out your tolerance with much finer resolution.
    It was partially a "earn-my-respect/right-of-manhood" things. My pops has always been of the opinion that if you cant do tequila shots strait without wincing then you have no balls.

As it was my higher than average body mass allowed me to get sufficient granularity out of the test as performed.
    Real men drink scotch. Neat.

• Body weight isn't really as decisive a factor in tolerance as a lot of people seem to think.
    I actually agree, I've always thought it was more a factor of how much blood you have in you.
    I actually agree, I've always thought it was more a factor of how much blood you have in you.
    I don't know what the specific details or mechanism may be, but I do know that at 250 pounds, I'm a two beer drunk. ;-)
    I don't know what the specific details or mechanism may be, but I do know that at 250 pounds, I'm a two beer drunk. ;-)
    I'm more of a 3 beer drunk at 170 lbs.
  • edited October 2012
    Body weight isn't really as decisive a factor in tolerance as a lot of people seem to think.
    I have anecdotal evidence from a few sources that Giving blood does significantly lower alcohol tolerance. Never tested it in any meaningful way however.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
    I can give anecdotal evidence from a few sources that Giving blood does significantly lower alcohol tolerance.

Tsk. I'm pretty sure they specifically tell you not to do that.