This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• My mother is being difficult with me being my SO to Thanksgivings.
  • Wow, really? For me it has always been a matter of "We are going ___ for the holiday."

We. Not "I am going and Pete is coming along." If they don't like it, we have plenty of other options.
  • Some families are rude. They don't like outsiders showing up, or they feel someone isn't "really family" yet or whatever.
  • I had almost the opposite with my ex. We were all worried that families would hate us/each other, but then every meting between them went really well and the families got along despite not even sharing a common language.

So, it isn't always bad news, don't let other peoples' experiences or even your own past experiences paint the future solid black.
  • This is just my mom not quite accepting I'm in a serious and loving relationship. In her defense this is the first serious relationship I've had.
  • I never take for granted that my family does not have these issues.
  • My dad's side of the family likes to feed drinks to the girls I bring over.
  • Nuri's family is large and boisterous. Imagine a whole clan of intelligent, stubborn, and argumentative people.

Thanksgiving involves 35 of them being in the same place together.

It's times like those that I'm glad I can turn off my hearing and just sort of relax.
  • This is just my mom not quite accepting I'm in a serious and loving relationship. In her defense this is the first serious relationship I've had.

She should be accepting and supportive for you even if she may not agree.

My parents have been very awesome and understanding with all my previous and current boyfriend even when they may not like certain aspects about them.
  • Nuri's family is large and boisterous. Imagine a whole clan of intelligent, stubborn, and argumentative people.

It's times like those that I'm glad I can turn off my hearing and just sort of relax.

Um, that's just my Dad's side of the family.

• Nuri said:

Nuri's family is large and boisterous. Imagine a whole clan of intelligent, stubborn, and argumentative people.

Um, that's just my Dad's side of the family.

Oh snap
  • Your mom is a whole different ballgame.

Different game? She's out of your LEAGUE.

Worst "your mom" joke ever.
  • edited November 2013
    Apreche said:

I never take for granted that my family does not have these issues.

My parents love everyone. It's pretty nice actually.

Post edited by Wyatt on
  • edited November 2013
    My mom likes her, just hasn't accepted that we're in this for the long term yet.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well there is only one solution. Propose on Thanksgiving.
  • Wyatt said:

Well there is only one solution. Propose on Thanksgiving.

Brilliant!
  • My mom likes her, just hasn't accepted that we're in this for the long term yet.

Something in my brain is twitching at the idea that it matters. You're together now... seems like that should be reason enough to spend the holiday together.

• Nuri said:

My mom likes her, just hasn't accepted that we're in this for the long term yet.

Something in my brain is twitching at the idea that it matters. You're together now... seems like that should be reason enough to spend the holiday together.
    That part of your brain is where your logical thinking takes place. ~_^

I love my mom, but I've removed her entirely from my everyday life with good reason. She means well, but her execution is often flawed. I understood this last year when we had been dating for a month, but we've been together for year and are looking at places together.
  • I met a really cute Italian-American girl today before my swedish class!
    I can't wait to see her again next Saturday. I haven't being excited about weekends in a while :D
  • Erwin said:

Italian-American girl today before my swedish class!

Reminds me of George Carlin's line about the American starlet's Mexican divorce of a Peruvian marriage to a Chinese guy.

• Victory is mine!
  • I had a weird break up. I won't bother you with the details, but there was a very basic miscommunication. She was way out of my league anyway, so I should've known something was up. However, it wasn't fruitless. It did result in me writing this lyric, which I don't have a song for yet but I'm sure I will someday (as a point of reference, the ex had the body of a miniature Marilyn Monroe; we looked up the proportions and they're nearly mirrors of each other):

I knew you were my Marilyn Monroe circa 1960
    And when we first kissed I knew I was your Kennedy
    I thought I'd be Jack, love you till my head was broken by Harvey
    But I realized when you broke my heart that I was really Bobby
  • We're all human beings. There's no such thing as "leagues", really, as everyone has their own idea of what a good partner is made of and the metrics you use to decide the "distance" between yourself and another person are very likely not the same scales they're using.

I don't know you personally, Greg, but I know that you're frigging brilliant, with a sharp mind that I wish I had at your age (heck, at my age). I doubt that very many people could leave you behind in a conversation.

The poem, I dunno about, but with the right accompaniment.. maybe. :)
  • League's definitely exist, but they're not as big a factor as people build them up to be. It's just part of how difficult it is to be with different people. You'll note that though she was out of my league, I still went out with her (kind of, it's complicated).

And the lyric, well, it's a rough draft. I know it's too wordy, but it's got potential. I posted it mostly to get feedback.
  • I guess if you're talking about how much "maintenance" one person or another requires, that might be construed as "leagues". Yeah, I guess I get that.
  • edited November 2013
    Greg said:

And the lyric, well, it's a rough draft.

If it's not final, might be worth noting that Kennedy allegedly broke up with Monroe, who then allegedly took up with Bobby afterward, which I don't think fits what you're going for.

You'll be right mate. And so will she.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I remembered that she hooked up with both of them, but I got the order reversed. Wasn't Jack with her when she passed, though?
  • edited November 2013
    Greg said:

I remembered that she hooked up with both of them, but I got the order reversed. Wasn't Jack with her when she passed, though?

Nope, he'd broken up with her by then, and while I don't think he was with her when she passed, I'm pretty sure it was Bobby Kennedy that was in town and saw her the day she died, IIRC.

Still, better than my teenage poetry, the fondest memory of which I have is watching it burn.

Post edited by Churba on