This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• Death Grips is the freshest thing I've heard in a while.
    Word. The Money Store is the dopest of the dope. I can't stop listening.
  • The good/bad news is that I was really stoked to see them live at the end of June but they cancelled their US tour to start work on a new cd.
  • Hilltop Hoods just raised the bar for the entire Australian hip-hop scene.

• SpaceGhostPurrp is what happens when G-Funk and Animal Collective have a baby and rear it on a diet of purple drank and blotter acid.

• Wowie, this kid has got something good going.

• Some pretty good new Hip-hop from my city.

• If the words "progressive hip-hop" mean anything good to you, go find Aesop Rock's new album Skelethon right now and listen to it.
  • Saw Danny Brown, A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, and Schoolboy Q at Pitchfork. If you're not listening to this shit, fix that.

• Not that interested in A$AP, dunno Kendrick Lamar, but fuck you I'm jealous. Schoolboy Q I definitely wouldn't mind seeing and I really want to see Danny Brown.
  • edited July 2012
    Not that interested in A$AP, dunno Kendrick Lamar, but fuck you I'm jealous. Schoolboy Q I definitely wouldn't mind seeing and I really want to see Danny Brown.
    Danny Brown was fucking nuts. 600 people shouting "FUCK A P.O. FUCK A PISS TEST" at the top of their lungs in a giant pulsating mosh, smelling like a growhouse, and Danny on stage doing his high-pitched rap thing while striking poses and going nuts. It was so, so good.

Schoolboy Q was hilarious. Kept cracking jokes and doing all his own hype work between songs. At one point he got hot and took his shirt off, and then went, "Shout out to Frank Ocean, nawmean?" The crowd went fucking nuts. He was trying to get the mostly-white crowd to chant the chorus to "Blessed," but everyone was uncomfortable with the obvious racial terminology in the chorus. He stopped the song, talked about how everyone at a Schoolboy Q show can say "nigga" due to the nature of hip-hop shows, and then demanded audience participation. We brought that shit down accordingly.

And don't even get me started on how crazy FlyLo was. I wish I had that set on tape; he dropped Pharaohe Monch's "Simon Says" just because he wanted to. I was in front of a group of seven people who were rolling the hardest I've ever seen people rolling, and I thought someone was going to die. It was so cool.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • What? Flying Lotus was there too? Where were you again? This sounds out of control. Double fuck you.
  • Pitchfork Music Festival.
  • I love A$AP Rocky, the convo between him and Danny Brown that the Vice put together is hilarious, it's up on youtube if you havent seen it.
  • edited July 2012
    Check out Snowgoons Dynasty by Snowgoons. It's like AOTP but bigger and badder.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Deltron did some of the new tracks at a festival in Toronto. The recordings are shoddy, but sound in-line with the earlier stuff. Album confirmed for November.

• I've been rocking Lexicon something fierce these past couple weeks.
  • Bringing the thread back because this track is dope.

• Our Will by Brothers Hand Mirror
    The Everafter LP by Witness

These guys are a little too political butthurt for me, but you all will probably like them:
    Type II : The Mandelbrot Set by Greydon Square
  • Antwon's Fantasy Beds Mixtape is some next-level shit.

• Here's an insane project I'm working on. The final product is going to be a 6'x4' poster.

The Hip-Hop Tree of Life.
  • Hey this is an interesting article abt recent Chicago rap like cheef keef et al: http://hypervocal.com/news/2012/chicago-hip-hop-murders-and-the-media-blackout/

• Getting back on my retro hip hop game. Erick Sermon has some pretty good hits.
  • Here's an insane project I'm working on. The final product is going to be a 6'x4' poster.

The Hip-Hop Tree of Life.
    This is probably relevant to your interests.
  • If you know what's good for you you'll download this mixtape

http://www.datpiff.com/Captain-Murphy-Duality-mixtape.424014.html
  • edited December 2012
    Dude, SO glad you're on that Capt. Murphy tip. FlyLo really went absolutely ape on that tape; it might be my favorite hip-hop drop of 2012.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My hallmates have been playing it non-stop. It's goddamn infectious and I love it to death.