This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• Sounds like what Kanye wanted shitty-ass Yeezus to be.
  • edited June 2014
    It's like Yeezus with rhyme skill and actual hardship.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Kanye has decent flow and occasionally good lyrics. Better than most rappers. I'm not going to speak on the "hardship" though. I do think it's funny that he tried to catch the heavy hitting sound train that Death Grips had. Although clipping seems to mix more traditional rapping with experimental instrumentals instead of the completely avant garde lyricism MC Ride has. I kinda feel like that was what Kanye was trying to accomplish but then made a joke of an album.

He has a song about how he dislikes rich people but hes rich as fuck. WAT.
  • edited June 2014
    The dude from Clipping, Daveed Diggs, definitely knows his shit inside and out. He can hold the mic to a metronome or complete silence and paint a portrait at 400 words per minute. He speaks naturally and enunciates beautifully, and he's fucking meticulous about the rhythmic and emotional flow of his verses. Kanye can write some consistent bars, but he buries his voice in the beat and either can't or doesn't want speak too clearly, finish a thought, or maintain a consistent lyrical tone for an entire song. What's more, if Yeezus stepped to Diggs in the cypher he would be slaughtered, resurrected, then eaten alive by the audience. Kanye is a man in his 30s earning his black belt at a local gym, Diggs is A 70-year-old Kung Fu master from China. MC Ride is a crazy guy with a knife.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The one thing that kinda bothers me about CLPPNG is that the vocal recording occasionally comes across as somewhat poor. It's not like it's going for a grimy raw recording or anything, it just sounds like vocals were recorded on average grade microphones and then were poorly mixed into the instrumentals. I noticed it a lot on Work Work especially in the panned vocals.

They also should have left off Tonight altogether. It's a blemish on an incredibly solid record.
  • The cheap mic sound was actually something I enjoyed, but that's being me being really rap nerdy. The fact that he can carry silence at all in that style is a testament to the quality of his voice.
  • Holy shit, why didn't I know about this until now?

• http://theraptest.com/#

I was doing pretty well on Tupac until the site bugged one me.

At first glance of the link, I thought it had something to do with Arrested Development.
  • MATATAT said:

boom

That's actually one of the best music videos I've seen in a long time.
  • MC Frontalot has a new album out, and it's all about bedtime stories and fairy tales.
  • That guy is droppin it.

• No joke, this is actually the first "video game" music I've heard that is actually quality.
  • http://2mellomakes.bandcamp.com/album/final-fantasy-the-3-6-chambers

Guy behind Chrono Jigga has finally done my favorite hip hop group Wu-Tang clan mixed with Final Fantasy 6. It is hot fucking fire with the best tracks being Figaro Kids and Battle Pit.
  • edited October 2014
    Andrew said:

No joke, this is actually the first "video game" music I've heard that is actually quality.

Phoenix Down kicks the shit out of that song.

Okay, that first one is pretty good. Didn't really dig the Luigi one. Baje is still superior. :p
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Andrew said:

No joke, this is actually the first "video game" music I've heard that is actually quality.

I have to agree, he's great with instruments and singing. He could do some work on his rap and rhyming but I'm following him now.
  • Dr. Dre actually released a new album today that I had no idea about. First one in 16 years. It's pretty fucking solid.
  • MATATAT said:

Dr. Dre actually released a new album today that I had no idea about. First one in 16 years. It's pretty fucking solid.

He hasn't released it yet, he's previewing it on modern day MTV.
  • sK0pe said:

MATATAT said:

Dr. Dre actually released a new album today that I had no idea about. First one in 16 years. It's pretty fucking solid.

He hasn't released it yet, he's previewing it on modern day MTV.
    Maybe it's not fully released but you can listen to the whole thing on iTunes.
  • I recently bought the album of Sage Francis that came out last year. It's great.
  • Scarecrow is pretty cool. It's kinda like if Wu-Tang did a collaboration with Robert Johnson, and everyone involved was somehow French.
  • Andrew said:
    Very good, also looking forward to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's next album.
  • Oh shit, missed the new POS
  • Rag n Bone Man is wild. Not sure if he's hip hop or if its just an influence, but he calls himself hip hop so I'm posting it here.