This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• Respiration remains my favourite hip-hop track ever.

• Does anyone else have an opinion on tyler the creator?

I don't mind him myself, he's got some sick beats, but 3/4 the time his lyrics just seem to be entirely constructed to shock, with any sort of thoughtfulness or cleverness being post-hoc rationalization in interviews, and the other quarter of the time, they're just...meh.
  • I'm quite a fan, but he definitely has a lot of room to grow.
    I'm not a fan, I find his lyrics lackluster compared to even mainstream rappers however if you tune out, as you the beats are quite enjoyable.
    My main problem is that I listen to wrap for the message or point or the clever way in which words are used.

Many people hate on Jay-Z and Nas but I still like them because their lyrics are still solid and they just seem to stick in my head.
    I'm not a fan, I find his lyrics lackluster compared to even mainstream rappers however if you tune out, as you the beats are quite enjoyable.
    My main problem is that I listen to wrap for the message or point or the clever way in which words are used.

Many people hate on Jay-Z and Nas but I still like them because their lyrics are still solid and they just seem to stick in my head.
    Who hates on Jay or Nas? They're both legends and Jay at least is still spitting fire, Nas in his prime was one one of the best ever.
  • Who hates on Jay or Nas? They're both legends and Jay at least is still spitting fire, Nas in his prime was one one of the best ever.
    I think its mainly the people that want to look cool and be hip think they're the best because they know a few up and coming artists try and dump all over the best (I mean seriously Jay-Z has had more number 1 albums than anyone else, I think he surpassed or equaled with the Beatles when Blueprint 3 was released).
  • I hate to get all /mu/ in here, but >mfw Heavy Ghetto:

The Notorious MSG is not high brow or innovative; they are not talented rappers and their music is the opposite of intellectually stimulating. For once, I am perfectly OK with all of those things. This album is fucking awesome.
  • That list makes me realize that Ghost needs his own section for Google Translate.
  • That list makes me realize that Ghost needs his own section for Google Translate.
    Babelfishscale.
    It's kinda tricky, but I think I can make sense of it.
  • PAX Prime is actually having one new musical group I never heard of before called Supercommuter. 8-bit hip hops, it's pretty rad!

http://supercommuter.net/
    That was an amazingly awesome piece of writing. I especially liked the description for Asher Roth.
  • Dudes.

Dude.

P.O.S. is really good.
  • P.O.S. is really good.
    Yes! I love Drumroll.
  • I just discovered Dynasty.

She's also really good.
  • I don't think I shared Drapht's new(ish) track "Rapunzel" here before, so here it is.

Also, Some bliss and Eso, because they're fuckin' choice. First, one of their more regular tracks -

And then a slightly softer smoother one, with a beat by Angus and Julia Stone.

• edited August 2011
    New El-P. Sounds like the production and lyrical style of Fantastic Damage combined with the cadence and tone of his most recent stuff. I likes.

Also, it looks like Vast and Vordul have been going strong since Can Ox:

Post edited by Walker on
  • Does anybody know what's up with Optimus Rhyme? Scott talking about Supercommuter on a recent show reminded me that I wanted to check them out due to Wheelie Cyberman being part of that project for some time but repeatedly forgot. So now I look at the description of Supercommuter's new album and it includes the words "former Autobeat Commander Wheelie Cyberman" and "fellow Optimus Rhyme alum Stumblebee". Plus their site hasn't been updated since 2009 or so when they released their last EP.

Is the band dead?
  • Bought the first Supercommuter album today and listened to it in the car on the way to work. It's really good, I must say, though I still hope that Optimus Rhyme is still in business.
  • Bought the first Supercommuter album today and listened to it in the car on the way to work. It's really good, I must say, though I still hope that Optimus Rhyme is still in business.
    Wikipedia says Optimus Rhyme ended in 2008.
    Wikipedia says Optimus Rhyme ended in 2008.
    Of course, Wikipedia is the Arbiter of all Knowledge. Actually, yes, 2008 was the year of their last release of music as far as I can tell. However, their website has never had any notice of the group officially disbanding and I also can't find any other notice on the band officially being over. I'm still hopeful, though the language in the description of the new Supercommuter album I mentioned above dampens that enthusiasm quite a bit :/
  • I saw them perform live a few times inside and outside of PAX. Good times. I have one of their CDs signed somewhere.
  • Not sure if this will be a popular opinion, but for a fighting game select screen, this rap is very sweet
  • Listened to the new mc chris album. The songs were whatever, but the skits were still excellent as per usual.