This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited September 2008
    Problem is, is that I'm not so sure Rym is a Mother series fan
    What the hell? I've played through Earthbound at least three times, and I loved it.
    This is news to me. How come you never mentioned it on the show when an appropriate side note ever comes up? However..... if I can hazard a guess, I'm betting you never played/beaten Mother/Earthbound Zero. On second thought, don't play it Rym. The reason why is that there is a "ginormous" (I know you hate that word which is why I used it) amount of grinding in it, it's unbearable. The only two reasons why I'm still working my ass off to beat it, is that I love the Mother series more than anything and I need to beat it so I can prepare myself for the no too far off Mother 3 patch that will be released.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Problem is, is that I'm not so sure Rym is a Mother series fan
    What the hell? I've played through Earthbound at least three times, and I loved it.
    I beat this game 29 times and enjoyed each and every time.

What?
    Nothing wrong with that at all (at least in my book), not one bit.
  • edited September 2008
    I'd say that the vast majority of MOTHER series fans have not beaten the first MOTHER. Played it on a ROM, maybe, but most tend to give up before they even make it out of Magicant. Near the end of the game it becomes a chore of grinding if you want to beat it - and that's even with Starmen.net's patch that makes it easier to level up. I stuck it through, though, and now I can say I've played and beaten all three MOTHER games.
    Post edited by Diddgery on
  • I'd say that the vast majority of MOTHER series fans have not beaten the first MOTHER. Played it on a ROM, maybe, but most tend to give up before they even make it out of Magicant. Near the end of the game it becomes a chore of grinding if you want to beat it - and that's even with Starmen.net's patch that makes it easier to level up. I stuck it through, though, and now I can say I've played and beaten all three MOTHER games.
    It's funny you say that because I beat MOTHER for the first time about an hour ago and let me tell you that game was hard as balls! But it was extremely satisfying, and I'm more than ready to play the Mother 3 translated game when the Starmen.net patch comes out. I did get somewhat far in the original japanese version, but I got fed up and stopped playing because I couldn't understand the moon language.
  • I recently read The Rabbi's Cat because I remember a few times where Scott mentioned it, but looking through the archives it seems like there's never been an episode on it. So there's an idea.
  • Phil Plait (Bad Astronomy)
    I vote for this.
  • I was wondering if you guys have ever read the Usagi comics by Stan Sakai. If you have, I'm curious what you thought of it. If you haven't, you should check out the grasscutter storyline, and don't be turned off by the furries.
  • Zombies Part 3 Please.
  • Zombies Part 3 Please.
    Once again seconded.
  • Rym said in a recent show that he emailed Wil Wheaton about being on Geeknights, but he didn't reply. Anyone else you tried and were unsuccessful?

Interviews with:
    Randall Munroe (XKCD)
    Wil Wheaton
    Phil Plait (Bad Astronomy)
    Randi
    Penn Jillette
    Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (Zero Punctuation)

Phil Plait said he would possibly be doing a podcast or two for the International Year of Astronomy.
  • More continuations of the zombie episodes, and maybe more high school/college episodes.
  • I'd prefer less food related 'casts, such as the recent sandwich episode.

I didn't like it.
  • I'd prefer less food related 'casts, such as the recent sandwich episode.
    So, what would you suggest in turn?
    I didn't like it.
    Scarily enough, food episodes are among the most popular and most downloaded... -_-
  • I didn't like it.
    Scarily enough, food episodes are among the most popular and most downloaded... -_-
    Which is crazy. Sure, you have some decent stories, but food shows really don't have any content. Even less than other throw-away Thursday topics. In return I have this suggestion, more zombies! Or hilarious stories like the "IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAND!" one you told on the latest episode. Or of course more high-level topics. Those were awesome.
  • Why don't you bring back a member of the FRC and do a show on any given topic.
  • How about "How to get into Politics"?

In the Seattle episode, you were saying that you were explaining to the awesome Scottish dude very simply about how the government works, and I would be interested in an episode like that. Also, included would be an explanation on how to get into politics. Getting in to it seems daunting, and I think and episode would be very interesting.
    In the Seattle episode, you were saying that you were explaining to the awesome Scottish dude very simply about how the government works, and I would be interested in an episode like that. Also, included would be an explanation on how to get into politics. Getting in to it seems daunting, and I think and episode would be very interesting.
    That would be cool. If they did, they should have Cremlian aka Scott Johnson of the FRC on there because if I recall, he's quite active into campaigning.
    That would be cool. If they did, they should have Cremlian aka Scott Johnson of the FRC on there because if I recall, he's quite active into campaigning.
    Sounds good to me!
  • How about an episode about computing movies? You know, movies like Hackers, WarGames and the like. You could talk about the entertainment value of the movie themselves, the influence it had on the population, and the reality (or lack thereof) of the technology shown in the movie.

For instance, I know when Hackers came out it worked everyone my age up in a frenzy over what you could do on a computer.

I'm just not sure of whether it would be a Monday episode as you're talking tech or if it's a Thursday episode since you're talking about movies.
  • So to answer your question as to what to replace the food episodes with, I suggest an episode on dating.

I say this because Rym said in a different thread that he doesn't believe in dating. Besides, there must be some anecdotes related to dating, right?
  • edited October 2008
    Here would be an interesting Monday episode "the perfect all purpose laptop case." What should you look for and do you recommend any?
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • How about an episode about clothes? Different types, brands, styles, what you like and what you don't, etc. I think it would also be a good episode to have Emily on, too.
  • Apologies in advance: I skimmed the other pages, but didn't give them a good hard read. Ideas:

Have other people on your show and revisit old topics, like follow-up episodes.

Someone mentioned having other members of the FRC on the show and have a show where they lead based on their area of expertise ... from what I've seen, career fields in the FRC are so wide and varied that I think this is a fantastic idea. I'm sure it's tougher to do since people have scattered somewhat, but you could either 1. Skype them in (or something - I'm not expert) or 2. every time a member of the FRC visits, if you ask them to do a show, it becomes mandatory. I'm especially curious about hearing from Pete and Lisa, personally.

Shows on travel and travel stories. I'd love to do something like that with you guys ... I have plenty of good stories about India (been there every 2 years up until college, which is when I started going over there for weddings). Likewise, my buddy Monica wanders Europe and my brother took a trip around the world in 48 days. International travel, to exotic locations. Lots of good stories.

How to put together a good presentation. The digital presentation itself, how to structure your proposal/idea/hypothesis, how to dress, how to speak to your specific audience.

A show about an interesting company or organization - and that doesn't mean "good", just interesting. American Apparel comes to mind ... to say their CEO is eccentric is a conservative description.

Sex. It might be awkward for you two to do it since you'd be speaking of people you know personally, but have a guest or two on the show and just guide the conversation.

Get George Rohac on the show (you met him a few times). He is currently a grad student at NYU doing something called "Future Studies" ... essentially a field where you make future predictions based on current social, economic and technological trends that then help people/companies/etc. place themselves in prime social/economic/etc. spaces. He can explain it more clearly, and it would make for an interesting and lively discussion ... George is VERY well read. He will quote things at you.

A history of radio up through podcasting and whatever else is related.

Rym vs. Scott cooking challenge! Cook something on air. Afterwards, have a panel of judges rate your cooking. The makings for a hilarious episode ...

Echoing Loganator456 on the clothes/fashion episode. Likewise, do an episode about the different facets of Japanese fashion - that is a gold mine. There's a book that outlines everything you need to know, if you're curious I'll track it down.

What is wrong with television? Specifically? What is wrong with movies? Specifically? Don't just say "they're bad" ... I'm talking, more a researched argument based on trends, shifts in cultural norms, etc.

Hoaxes.

I could go on, but I gotta get to work. Sorry if I've got any repeats in there!
  • What is wrong with television? Specifically? What is wrong with movies? Specifically? Don't just say "they're bad" ... I'm talking, more a researched argument based on trends, shifts in cultural norms, etc.
    Please do this!
  • You should let the girls have a Geek Fashion Episode. Tips, tricks, and listener Q&A.
  • You should let the girls have a Geek Fashion Episode. Tips, tricks, and listener Q&A.;
    Why does it just have to be the girls. I know that at the least, Rym would be able to speak on the topic.
  • How about an episode on having roommates.
  • What is wrong with television? Specifically? What is wrong with movies? Specifically? Don't just say "they're bad" ... I'm talking, more a researched argument based on trends, shifts in cultural norms, etc.
    Please do this!
    Last I checked, Rym and Scott don't watch TV.
  • edited October 2008
    I am a idiot for mistyping in a search bar...
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Computer Monitors, history of and what you need to look for in getting one.
    *cough*