This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• As far as I can tell you haven't done a review of 20th Century Boys yet.
    Rym hasn't read it yet. Also, strange coincidence, we had already decided next Thursday show is Ninja Turtles. Mind reader.
  • edited July 2010
    As far as I can tell you haven't done a review of 20th Century Boys yet.
    Rym hasn't read it yet. Also, strange coincidence, we had already decided next Thursday show is Ninja Turtles. Mind reader.
    Call James Randi!

EDIT: Also, Final Thoughts: Monster?
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Kinnikuman.
  • Samurai Jack
  • Samurai Jack
    QFT
  • I want to listen to a show where you have Luke as the guest as you asked him from this thread. I really didn't read this thread until recently, and I found it to be one of the best discussions on the forums to date.

Also, seriously, final thoughts on Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, & Utena. ^_~
  • How about a Monday show on different kinds of storage media?
  • Idea for your upcoming "Egregiously Unrealized Potential": co-operative sports games. The second person on a team is never as engaged as the first. Someone should have figured this out by now.
  • Idea for your upcoming "Egregiously Unrealized Potential": co-operative sports games. The second person on a team is never as engaged as the first. Someone should have figured this out by now.
    Mario Tennis and Mario Soccer handle this just fine.
    It's really simple. Why can't you play Madden 11 on 11? 22 actual people, each completely controlling one player. Make it more awesome, have a 12th person play the coach.
    It's really simple. Why can't you play Madden 11 on 11? 22 actual people, each completely controlling one player. Make it more awesome, have a 12th person play the coach.
    Has such a concept in multiplayer gaming been realized enough to the point where it works well enough to be implemented?
  • Has such a concept in multiplayer gaming been realized enough to the point where it works well enough to be implemented?
    Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Has such a concept in multiplayer gaming been realized enough to the point where it works well enough to be implemented?
    Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look morelike?
    Tangled syntax...my number one enemy. Let me rephrase that. Has there ever been an successful example of the kind of multiplayer you are describing, Scott?
  • hasanyonereallybeenfarasdecidedtouseevengowanttodolookmorelike.jpeg
    FTFY.
  • It's really simple. Why can't you play Madden 11 on 11? 22 actual people, each completely controlling one player. Make it more awesome, have a 12th person play the coach.
    Madden '11 has a 3-v-3 mode. Let's see how well that goes over before we start suggesting they pump it up to 11-v-11.
  • Madden '11 has a 3-v-3 mode. Let's see how well that goes over before we start suggesting they pump it up to 11-v-11.
    Why hold back?
  • Madden '11 has a 3-v-3 mode. Let's see how well that goes over before we start suggesting they pump it up to 11-v-11.
    Why hold back?
    Potential lack of interest from the fans. Why should they waste development time and money on figuring out how to implement individual control schemes for the 11 characters on a side as well as netcode for 22 synchronized connections until they see how well the 3-v-3 goes over? Near as I can tell most people who play sports games want to be in control of the whole show, not just an individual player in a larger game. Never once have I heard one of my Madden-playing friends say anything anywhere close to "You know what'd be cool? If I could play just as that linebacker and let someone else call the plays." Part of the draw of the game for them is that they are in control of everything that is directly related to the offense or defense. They're controlling the QB up to the point where the ball lands in the hands of the WR, and then they're controlling the receiver from there up to the goal line. They can toggle from one character to another so they're in control of the CB or Safety that is closest to the ball when they're on defense. When you start bringing other players into the mix it goes from being a single player's fantasy to being a full team activity. 3-v-3 is still close enough to a pickup football game in the park for it to build camaraderie and for all the players to still have fun. Having to field a team of 11 people, unless you know every last one of them on your side, would be an exercise in frustration due to the typical shitcockery that you find on XBL. A mixed bag of humans and bots would be workable, but then you run into the realm of having to deal with drop-in for the people that show up to the game late or drop-out for the players on crappy connections and a whole host of other issues that may crop up in the middle of gameplay, resulting in more dev time.

I'm not saying it's not a cool idea. I just think it'd be met with a resounding "meh" by all but the most hardcore Madden fans.
  • I'm not saying it's not a cool idea. I just think it'd be met with a resounding "meh" by all but the most hardcore Madden fans.
    I think it would actually be hated by the Madden fans, but loved by everyone else. It would also be a big hit amongst real football teams in pee-wee, high school, college, and maybe even the NFL as a way to train and practice without getting hurt.
  • but loved by everyone elseme.
  • edited August 2010
    Idea for your upcoming "Egregiously Unrealized Potential": co-operative sports games. The second person on a team is never as engaged as the first. Someone should have figured this out by now.
    Not sure if this is valid anymore. Rym already mentioned examples, but one sports-game related idea I had some years ago was kind of like mixing the Rock Band concept with sports games, i.e. you have a group of people in a team with fixed positions and thus a definitive, unchanging but important task to perform on the team. A year later, NHL 09 came out with exactly that and online league play. Not sure about other EA Sports titles, but this is in my opinion a very strong step forward in sports games.

Since this also basically addresses Techparadox's statement: The problem you are describing is more inherently with the sport than with the system. Football is a highly strategic game and only a few players actually get to perform the important, significant and exciting parts of the play. A linesman wouldn't be a good position to play, for example. The concept would lend itself to smaller and more engaging sports a lot better, e.g. the aforementioned ice hockey, basketball or even soccer, where every players does handle the ball/puck on a regular basis.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I think this kind of game would work well if every player on the team was assigned a role on the field at random for each play, or each down. Maybe the quarterback or other star position could be filled in the same way as in that Mouse game I wasted hours on a few months ago? The better you do in the randomly assigned positions brings you up through the rankings and once you have a shot at being the QB or coach, your rating is reduced to zero.

By the way, I've played a soccer video game where you were just one player, and never changed throughout the game. It wasn't all that fun, but then it only worked for two players. More fun than an actual game where you stayed controlling the same player was the "corners" mode. One of you would kick the ball in from the corner, and the other would try to kick or head it into the goal. I wasted hours on this game too.
  • How about interviewing The Spoony One?
    I really think he is the kind of content creator guy who is defying the concept that you need a gigantic company behind you to make high quality shows. Kind of "no middle man" Creative Commons entertainment that looks like the future...

:]
  • The rise and fall of campaign settings.
  • MOTHERFUCKER!! Daniel Floyd was at PAX and I didn't tell Rym and Scott they should interview him.
  • MOTHERFUCKER!! Daniel Floyd was at PAX and I didn't tell Rym and Scott they should interview him.
    Who is that?

• Current series Extra Credits over on the escapist.
  • How about interviewingThe Spoony One?
    I really think he is the kind of content creator guy who is defying the concept that you need a gigantic company behind you to make high quality shows. Kind of "no middle man" Creative Commons entertainment that looks like the future...

:]
    Of all the people on that site I think they should go for Linkara or NC before Spoony.
  • How about interviewingThe Spoony One?
    Of all the people on that site I think they should go for Linkara or NC before Spoony.
    Well I can safely say 2 of the 3 will be at MAGfest if you need a nod let me know ;)
  • Tuesday:
    The Uninvited (NES)

Thursday:
    Death
  • I thought Rym's reading about the both the long and short-term effects of Caffeine was very interesting. Would not mind an episode devoted to that at all.