This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Just relistened to the Pokemon episode:
    Monday - Goatse.
  • The state of education in the US in general.
  • Do a review of the demo of Recettear on a Tuesday.
  • edited November 2010
    Thursday/Monday:
    One of you using just the internet, and the other using everything but the internet. Try to keep track of events for a week report your findings.

Gaming:
    I'd like to get your thoughts on these two videos and how they relate to your thoughts on modern games:
    The Skinner Box
    Easy Games
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thursday/Monday:
    One of you using just the internet, and the other using everything but the internet. Try to keep track of events for a week report your findings.
    That's a really interesting idea, but how would we keep them honest?
  • I think it'd be awesome if you could get Michio Kaku on a Monday/Thursday show. He's serious awesome awesome.
  • edited November 2010
    That's a really interesting idea, but how would we keep them honest?
    I don't think it needs to be scientific. How you handle information gleamed from other people would be important.

One of you carries on pretty much as normal while the other cannot use internet news or podcasts. Information from friends would come in anyway, but keeping track of how much of this is new and where they got it from would be interesting.

Forgoing the forum and twitter could be problematic. Email probably wouldn't count as that belongs in the friend section.
  • Gaming: Discuss the pricing of games. More an opening discussion than an entire show.
  • Discuss: Do you think, in our lives, we will see entirely automated businesses which have no, or only token, human involvement throughout their entire structure?
  • Not sure if this one has been raised at all but Mouse Guard. Brought the book on the hype from Rym and Scott and nothing came of it. Been playing the game, its good fun.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    This isn't really a show idea or a reminder, more of suggestion; whether you (as in either Rym or Scott) give it credence or not is up to you entirely. It's no secret that many graphic designers, artists, and all other kinds of people with skills related to the aforementioned examples both inhabit/are active in the Geeknights Front Row Crew Forums community. In light of both of the facts that the store has recently opened up and that Scott has recently said that more kinds of swag/designs are on the way, do you think it is possible for people to make designs/concepts for future swag? I know for a fact that many people submit either designs or ideas for future swag in Fangamer and I think that kind of activity works out for them really well. Why not apply the same basic principles for the FRC/Geeknights Store?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Why not apply the same basic principles for the FRC/Geeknights Store?
    It's not up to us. If you want to make stuff, go make it.
  • Why not apply the same basic principles for the FRC/Geeknights Store?
    It's not up to us. If you want to make stuff, go make it.
    But what if we want it to be sold through the store?
  • But what if we want it to be sold through the store?
    If someone made something that was awesome enough to be worth selling, then they should probably sell it themselves. If you really want us to sell it, then grant us the commercial rights, and we'll sell it if we want to.
  • Do a show on Princess Tutu. There, I said it.
  • Do a show on Princess Tutu. There, I said it.
    Done and done.
  • Ah, I shall have to listen to that.
  • But what if we want it to be sold through the store?
    If someone made something that was awesome enough to be worth selling, then they should probably sell it themselves. If you really want us to sell it, then grant us the commercial rights, and we'll sell it if we want to.
    Yes. I'm not going to file sales tax papers or be responsible for shipping/handling/liability for someone else's product. Consignment sales is a valid business, but not one I'm interested in the hassle of managing.
  • Yes. I'm not going to file sales tax papers or be responsible for shipping/handling/liability for someoneelse'sproduct. Consignment sales is a valid business, but not one I'm interested in the hassle of managing.
    Yeah, Etsy and many other such things exist. You don't need our shit store.
  • edited December 2010
    Object orientation / A re-do of the getting into coding episode.

Also: An episode on getting into reading would be appreciated.
  • Also: An episode on getting into reading would be appreciated.
    Go to bookstore. Browse for something interesting. Read it. Repeat.
  • Broard statement is a start.
  • Broard statement is a start.
    That's all there is to it. Read something that seems interesting. If nothing interests you, you're likely an uninteresting person.

Getting into reading is like getting into curiosity.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm curious about X, but I don't know where to start. What do I do?

Start anywhere and don't stop.

True for all values of X.

Interested in anime? Just watch lots of anime. Interested in comics? Just start reading lots of them. Interested in podcasts, just start listening. Interested in electronics, start making shit. Interested in woodworking? Just start making shit. Interested in a sport? Play it every chance you get.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also: An episode on getting into reading would be appreciated.
    Go to bookstore. Browse for something interesting. Read it. Repeat.
    A better idea would be to go ask a librarian. If they're good at their job they should be able to take some information from you and hand you a book you'll like.
  • I meant that more of a reccomendations episode, something of a compressed book club. In the style of "Comics for the Manga reader." but more "Books for the Game/Anime/Comic nerd.". If video games are anything to go by, picking books based on the cover and blurb is not going to be fun.
  • Like that but for nerds who aren't book nerds.
    Those are generically good books. I'm not sure what you mean.
    See Spot Run.