This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Tezuka
  • So I am listening to the archive and was wondering if you guys were still toying with the newsletter idea, I think if you do it correctly could be a good compendium to the various podcasts.
  • edited April 2011
    Limor Fried (LadyAda) lives near NYC. You guys need to bring her on for a Geek Profile.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Coming off the Martial Arts movies thread, I think a discussion of the different martial arts movie genres and particular ones you enjoy could make for a fun Thursday episode, or if you have a lot to say about the different genres, could make a few shows out of it.
  • Muppets. Just, Muppets!
  • Much as my better judgement warns me against it, I'm intrigued by the Magic: The Gathering games on Steam.
  • edited April 2011
    Much as my better judgement warns me against it, I'm intrigued by the Magic: The Gathering games on Steam.
    It's actually decently entertaining, when you don't have to piss about with the Collectable part of the card game.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Could there be a show about paying for videogames, and the different models avaliable; subscriptions, single purchase, microtransactions, etc, talking about the various pros and cons and what annoys them and such?
  • Much as my better judgement warns me against it, I'm intrigued by the Magic: The Gathering games on Steam.
    Do yourself a huge favor and wait until June. Duel of the Planeswalkers 2012 is coming out and will be a much improved version over the original, which is probably what you are eyeballing on Steam.
  • You guys should do a show on Streets Of Rage! the classic sega game. Especially now that the Streets Of Rage Remake indy game has been released :D

http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/
  • Do a show on Skitchin'!
  • What about a geek pronunciation guide? It might fall flat as a topic but as geeks, we encounter all sorts of made-up words that we've only read before. A hallmark of meeting new geeks is seeing how wildly different we speak. For instance, I now play Agricola instead of drinking Agri-Cola.
  • What about a geek pronunciation guide? It might fall flat as a topic but as geeks, we encounter all sorts of made-up words that we've only read before. A hallmark of meeting new geeks is seeing how wildly different we speak. For instance, I now play Agricola instead of drinking Agri-Cola.
    That fracturing of language is disappearing rapidly in the modern connected era. Where every D&D; group pronounced "Drow" or "Sigil" differently when authoritative sources were not readily available and ubiquitous, and local gaming culture would exist distinct from other regions, there are now definitive (or at least largely universal) agreements on these matters, and modern gaming culture is far more connected than it ever was.

You can actually readily tell how connected an average nerd or geek is by listening for odd pronunciations or watching for odd spellings in their jargon. Otacon or "ot-uh-con" (instead of "oh-ta-kon"), for example, implies a narrower network of nerdly connections. Large networks converge.
  • edited April 2011
    You can actually readily tell how connected an average nerd or geek is by listening for odd pronunciations or watching for odd spellings in their jargon. Otacon or "ot-uh-con" (instead of "oh-ta-kon"), for example, implies a narrower network of nerdly connections. Large networks converge.
    I completely agree, and hence the reason I was a bit hesitant to suggest it as a topic. I've corrected a ton of my own mispronunciations in the past year and a half since I started both seeking out other gaming groups and listening to podcasts. The people who would need this sort of "how to not suck at pronunciation" episode are the ones that don't listen to your podcast in the first place.

Still, there are the occasional words that geeks just can't come together on, such as wyvern or AT-AT. There's a clear majority on both, but somehow they keep coming up. I've listened to no less than three podcasts this week were the AT-AT debate rose it's ugly head. Three!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited April 2011
    Fencing: Dead olympic sport or foppish SCA hobby?
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Fencing: Totally sexy and awesome
    FTFY
  • You know, we should have you on the show some time. AB reminded me more than anything that you're a techie at heart. ;^)
    Heh, thanks. I'd love to be on the show sometime to talk tech and I'm honored that you'd like to invite me on. :)
    I'd listen totally. Also, if you had him one to talk mecha*.

*unless you get Neito and Yuyuke+

+or all three
  • You know, we should have you on the show some time. AB reminded me more than anything that you're a techie at heart. ;^)
    Heh, thanks. I'd love to be on the show sometime to talk tech and I'm honored that you'd like to invite me on. :)
    I'd listen totally. Also, if you had him one to talk mecha*.

*unless you get Neito and Yuyuke+

+or all three
    Talking mecha is fine with me as well. :)
  • Another reminder for Ice Cold Beer, I managed to play the machiene again and goodness no one is good at that game. Did beat my personal best and got it to the 5th hole :D
  • Fencing: Dead olympic sport or foppish SCA hobby?
    I find the current rules in olympic fencing make it unwatchable.
  • Since there has been a lot of posts on the forums about it as of late, why not talk about Quarter Life Crisis. Is it bullshit, what did you do to overcome it at the time, ideas to IT and CS people stuck in the entry level doldrums etc.
  • You should bring back Geek Profiles and do the first new one on Paul Chapman. He's a really interesting guy who doesn't get that much exposure on other podcasts.
  • We recorded a geek profile on me back in September. Like my guest episode, I bet it will never go out.
  • Pens and pencils.
  • I think pens and pencils was a show topic before. Or maybe it was a topic on a FNPL episode. I just know I've heard Scrym discuss it before in depth.
  • I'm just throwing out ideas. I'm not interested in hearing what they have to say on the matter, but it could be an interesting topic to someone. Actually, if they had a guest artist they could do a show on the difference of making art in a digital and physical mediums. Talk about Waka pads v. brushes v. charcoal etc... It would be a good show to get Yuko in on.

Other topic: High School sports.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm not interested in hearing what they have to say on the matter, but it could be an interesting topic to someone. Actually, if they had a guest artist they could do a show on the difference of making art in a digital and physical mediums.
    They don't draw, so if any fine arts thing comes up, at least in terms of the making of fine arts, it might be a very short show.

edit: Also, Sports? Neither of them was on sports teams. Even though Rym was athletic, he was super busy with marching band and did all his biking and hiking in his free time. I was on the Varsity Track and Soccer Teams, and I did Karate on the weekends. I laugh at the nerds with no letters for their jackets!
    Also: Marching band, grueling though it may have been, is not a sport, even if we did get letters for it. Hi Rym!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Also: Marching band, grueling though it may have been, is not a sport, even if we did get letters for it. Hi Rym!
    A physical, objectively competitive activity? It's as much as sport as gymnastics. ;^)