This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Ro, I'm kinda the opposite of you. I recently got into dr. Who and Star Trek is the sci-fi geek thing that I don't feel like getting into.

Also I got into Dr. Who just like Viga told one should do, I started from first episode of 11th Doctor and went from there.
  • If Dr. Who is the only thing that I need to talk to other people about, they probably aren't interesting to continue talking to. If people are talking about Dr. Who, I'll find something else to do
    You assume you need to watch Dr. Who to talk to people about it? How about you watch it because it's awesome? Try two episodes, if you are not convinced it's worth watching, never speak of it again. You are honestly doing yourself a disservice by not watching it becasue it's too much. You are just like the people dismissing MLP:FiM because it's too girly.
  • edited June 2011
    You assume you need to watch Dr. Who to talk to people about it? How about you watch it because it's awesome? Try two episodes, if you are not convinced it's worth watching, never speak of it again. You are honestly doing yourself a disservice by not watching it becasue it's too much. You are just like the people dismissing MLP:FiM because it's too girly.
    Any fan of any show can say that about the show they love.

I'm honestly not interested. I've heard several good things about it from people, and it's just one of those popular geek things that will pass me by and I'm ok with that.

Now I understand how Paul Chapman feels.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Alright, fair enough, I won't hammer the issue anymore
  • I've been fascinated by the ideas of the Memeplex and the work of Susan Blackmore.

the tl;dr being that memes are to information what genes are to biology and that both follow the same rules of Universal Darwinism and that ideas persist because they are strong, not because they are good or true.
  • I've been fascinated by the ideas of the Memeplex and the work of Susan Blackmore.

the tl;dr being that memes are to information what genes are to biology and that both follow the same rules of Universal Darwinism and that ideas persist because they are strong, not because they are good or true.
    Forgive my (maybe) ignorance, but is that somehow different than the basic idea that Dawkins introduced in The Selfish Gene? Has Blackmore just done a lot more work with it? That does sound really interesting, I think I'll check out a book.
  • Word, thanks.
  • edited June 2011
    I could see this being an interesting show.
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • You could have talked to those anons we met in the park but didn't.
  • When will you guys interview R. Scott Bakker?
    Really. It would instantly become my favorite episode ever.
    Really. It would instantly become my favorite episode ever.
  • ToHeart
  • The free to play model for games.
    We could probably do that. The model has changed quite a bit over the years.
    We could probably do that. The model has changed quite a bit over the years.
    BR? BR? GIVB MONI PLZ.
  • Conserving the natural world.
  • I don't think you guys ever did a full episode on Gurren Lagann. Alternatively, how about an episode about Studio Gainax?
  • I don't think you guys ever did a full episode on Gurren Lagann. Alternatively, how about an episode about Studio Gainax?
    Do it.
    I don't believe Rym mentioned ever finishing GL, and I don't believe Scott ever watched it.
    I don't believe Rym mentioned ever finishing GL, and I don't believe Scott ever watched it.
    THIS MUST CHANGE! Neito, get the DVD's and duct tape. Yuyuke, get the chloroform.
  • Yuyuke, get the chloroform.
    Five dollars a dose. 2 pence discount if you buy in bulk.

As a shameless attempt to pimp my own idea I thought you might be interested to know that R. Scott Bakker drops Susan Blackmore's name and recommends her book Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction in his acknowledgements in Neuropath.
  • How to navigate the Dealer's Room at Conventions?

Or Convention Vendors in general.
  • How to navigate the Dealer's Room at Conventions?
    Walk in the aisles, not on the tables. NEXT!
  • In the Super Meat Boy episode, you mentioned doing an episode on full completion of games, or getting 100%.
  • In the Super Meat Boy episode, you mentioned doing an episode on full completion of games, or getting 100%.
    I sometimes miss the days when I had the time for that, but on the whole, life after high school has been exponentially more satisfying, so I guess you gotta lose something.
  • edited July 2011
    You guys seriously, seriously need to do an episode on The Incal. It is so good, and so mindblowingly weird.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on