This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• You know I just say that to push your buttons, honey. You know jocks like me secretly love making out with band geeks.
  • Game Theory, in depth, with math, fuck everyone.
    I'm game.
    I'm game.
    This is damn near impossible without some sort of digital whiteboard.
    I'm game.
  • edited June 2011
    Dead, or old CCG's

Jyhad
    Netrunner
    Rage
    Shadowrun
    Doomtown

Do the games hold up, and are they worth picking up on the cheap off e-bay?

In fact, since any CCG that is no longer in print becomes a dead game, maybe you could talk about preserving dead games? Like how you talk about loosing old video games, are not CCG's art too? Should they not be preserved in some way?

Released as a complete box set? Who knows.

It just makes me mad to see such creativity such at Net Runner left in the dust.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Should they not be preserved?
    They definitely should be.
  • Fuck me, that was a quick reply! =)

Whats the best way to do it???

Just acquire all the cards?
  • edited June 2011
    I always saw this game in the discount bin at Millennium games near RIT, but didn't buy it because nobody would play it with me. Also, I learned my lesson about collecting.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • /Double post. Not really an edit/

Ok, been thinking. This is how I would preserve a dead CCG.

I will base it on the assumption that what makes a game worth preserving is the essence of the game. How the game should have “felt” to have played back when it was released.

That’s is, most people would have had decks that were made of primarily of commons and uncommons with a few choice rares.

Also, you are really just trying to capture the feel of the game. If you can recreate that experience, you have done your job.

So…

Get a complete set of all the cards.
    Get multiple copies of the commons and uncommons.

Make 2 decks that, in your experience, give a good feel for the game. To use an analogy, if MTG were dead, you could maybe create a red burn/aggro deck and a blue control deck. You know, really bare bones stuff.

Then, once you have these decks up and running, a player could switch out a few cards for some rares to add their own personality to the deck. Again, this is much like how the CCG would have worked back in the day, as your access to rares was limited both by money and the fact that they were, well, rare..

This could work for any dead CCG I think. Get a complete set. Get multiple commons and uncommons. Build flavourful decks. Invite people to customise with your rares.
  • Damn, I was thinking way too short term. *facepalm*

We are talking decades right? Centuries even? Adding these games to the collective history of gaming FOREVER?

The only solution (I think) is high quality scans of each card + rules + FAQ clarifying any ambiguous rules that people came across while the game was actively played.

And then stored in some digital vault with physical backups.

So that in 100 years from now, someone can print off all the cards, read the rules, and with a bit of luck, the FAQ will solve any confusion.
  • There are actually torrents of complete scanned CCGs. The only one I know I've personally seen and downloaded was the Star Trek CCG. It was one of those "every single card, scanned? seriously? eh, why the hell not. download"
  • Do a show on Bill Nye the Science Guy! I spent most of 7th grade science class watching these videos (maybe it's because I was in Seattle), and I'd love to hear them lauded and/or ripped apart by an older, more discerning eye.
  • Do a show on Bill Nye the Science Guy! I spent most of 7th grade science class watching these videos (maybe it's because I was in Seattle), and I'd love to hear them lauded and/or ripped apart by an older, more discerning eye.
    Not a bad idea for an episode but I think it could be taken a bit further. They could also discuss Beakman's World and Mr. Wizard as well since they all seem to be the same genre of show.
  • edited June 2011
    I always saw this game in the discount bin at Millennium games near RIT, but didn't buy it because nobody would play it with me. Also, I learned my lesson about collecting.
    That's why I like the SJ Games method with CCGs. When INWO went out of print, you could buy a "One With Everything" card box that contained one of every card released in the main and limited edition sets. I have one sitting in my room right now.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You guys made a reference to your possible retreat from things like NERD NYC board game nights in a recent podcast. I'm curious about this and would like to remind you that you said 'we should do a show about that'. Make it so.

Or expand upon it.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2011
    Or expand upon it.
    That might be tonight's show.

In sum: Nerd NYC is great. Absolutely fantastic.

However, we seem to have played more games than just about everyone there. We never really realized how "hardcore" we were until recently. The boardgame nights, we'll probably still come to fairly regularly. But they're hardly ideal: the venue is too dark and too loud, and we sometimes have difficulty getting anyone to play a "real" boardgame who will pay attention enough to learn the rules and then play quickly enough to finish in under four hours. I don't mind teaching games, but I often become trapped in an unending multi-hour session of something due to one or two players not taking their turns in a timely fashion.

I go for the casual games, socializing, and the food/drink, but when I want to play a serious game, I prefer to do so somewhere bright and quiet.

Recess is another matter. It costs money, yet only has two slots. It's almost impossible to get into the few games I'm really interested in for a given slot, and many of the RPGs seem lackluster (to my tastes). That's not to say I haven't played some great games there (one particular Lacuna comes to mind, as well as a certain Shock game ;^) ), but I'm not super interested in dungeon crawls, D&D;, or combat-games. Couple that with the loud space, and even good games can be taxing. I've languished through too many afternoon slots in non-games or boardgame sessions that couldn't finish even in the four hours.

I would attend to run games, but I don't keep a close enough eye on the forum and they're usually full by the time I notice.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Or expand upon it.
    That might be tonight's show.
    Looking forward to this episode tonight (or whenever it winds up happening) as someone who also feels like they have hardcored themselves into a corner over the past few years.
  • How about a show on a genre of music you like. How about a Doctor Who episode as well.
  • How about a Doctor Who episode as well.
    I don't think either of them watch Doctor Who.
  • edited June 2011
    Dr Who. Hell yes.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • How about a Doctor Who episode as well.
    I don't think either of them watch Doctor Who.
    I believe Scott's on record as hating the good doctor, as well.
  • I'm putting Dr. Who into the category of that huge geeky thing that I never got into nor am I really interested in getting into.
  • I'm putting Dr. Who into the category of that huge geeky thing that I never got into nor am I really interested in getting into.
    It is intimidatingly large. If I get into something, I'm gonna want to watch the whole damn thing and there is simply just too much Dr. Who to make that feasible. I would have no time for anything else. Yes, if I could enjoy things in moderation this wouldn't be the case, but such is the geek life.
    It is intimidatingly large. If I get into something, I'm gonna want to watch the whole damn thing and there is simply just too much Dr. Who to make that feasible. I would have no time for anything else. Yes, if I could enjoy things in moderation this wouldn't be the case, but such is the geek life.
    Exactly. That show has been going on for ages and I am the type of person who needs to watch the whole thing.

Mind you, I recently got into Star Trek: TNG and have no desire to watch the original series, but if it's taken me this long to watch TNG, Dr. Who has no hope.

I'm honestly tired of seeing stuff that is Tardis related. I get it, but it's not my thing.
    Exactly. That show has been going on for ages and I am the type of person who needs to watch the whole thing.

Mind you, I recently got into Star Trek: TNG and have no desire to watch the original series, but if it's taken me this long to watch TNG, Dr. Who has no hope.

I'm honestly tired of seeing stuff that is Tardis related. I get it, but it's not my thing.
    I give you credit for tackling TNG. Great show but also a lot to absorb. I get the impression that Star Trek is more broken up into defined storylines than Dr. Who is, though. I could be wrong. You don't really need original season at all to appreciate TNG.

I'm also sick of the Tardis. I write a column about geeky t-shirts every few weeks, so I keep a page with all of the new release feeds. It's constantly dominated by Dr. Who references!
    You don't need to watch all of Who. not even all of new Who. The 5th season is a good starting point since it's a fresh slate when 11th doctor starts. It was made for new people who wanted to get in. All you need to know is he regenerates into different people, but still has the same memory, he has a time and space machine called a TARDIS and that he's extremely smart, cunning and hilarious. Also to some species a terror or savior.

Here:

Also available on Netflix, iTunes, on demand and Pirate Bay.
  • Honestly, watching all of Star Trek (if you include Next Generation) is a much more intimidating task than watching Doctor Who.
    If you want to give it a chance, watch, as Viga said, the 11th Hour. Continue on to The Beast Below, then stop. If you're not already hooked, you're probably not going to be. If you are, start over with the 9th Doctor (keeping in mind that he's a different person, and his parts have a different tone to them), and go from there. You really only have to watch the "modern" Doctor Who (Seasons 1-6 and the Tennant specials) to be caught up on the lore enough to talk to most geeks. The older stuff is very 1960s low budget sci-fi and isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Also, keep in mind that these are BBC seasons, so about 11 episodes each.
  • edited June 2011
    to be caught up on the lore enough to talk to most geeks.
    If Dr. Who is the only thing that I need to talk to other people about, they probably aren't interesting to continue talking to. If people are talking about Dr. Who, I'll find something else to do. I honestly have no desire to get into that series even if most of the geek world is in love with it.

I also stated I have no interest in watching the original Star Trek. TNG is fine with me, and I might consider watching DS9, depending up Jason's recommendation.

As stated by ScRym many times before, there is so much media to consume and not enough free time. I have to pick and choose what I want to get into.
    Post edited by Rochelle on