This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are We?

12346»

Comments

• I am not so into that - more of an adoption supporter, but to each his or her own
    Me too! Animals and kids! I think that my DNA is averagely good, but I think the greatest benefit I could give to the future of the species is not my cells, but my ideas, transmitted through interaction.
    Yeah, as much as I know our genes do have an effect on us, I think nurture overcomes nature most of the time.
  • Yeah, as much as I know our genes do have an effect on us, I think nurture overcomes nature most of the time.
    The effect of genetics is a lot stronger than most people think. I remember this video I was shown in 11th grade biology class. The video presented 5 separate cases where genetically identical twins did not grow up together, and how those twins ended up later in life. You see the pair that grew up on different sides of the country, but both ended up as fire fighters with the same personality. You see the two that both ended up as dancers with similar styles even though they grew up in separate states. It's fascinating.
  • Yeah, as much as I know our genes do have an effect on us, I think nurture overcomes nature most of the time.
    The effect of genetics is a lot stronger than most people think. I remember this video I was shown in 11th grade biology class. The video presented 5 separate cases where genetically identical twins did not grow up together, and how those twins ended up later in life. You see the pair that grew up on different sides of the country, but both ended up as fire fighters with the same personality. You see the two that both ended up as dancers with similar styles even though they grew up in separate states. It's fascinating.
    All biological life consists, essentially, of bags of genes interacting with other bags of genes. Said interactions influence the specific expression of the genes, but fundamentally, it's all in the genes. You are the emergent behavior of a complex system of biochemical interactions.
  • Well, yeah, but I am of the mind that however your genes may shape you, they can't take all the blame for your behavior. So, you don't believe in Free Will? You are like a Calvinist, only your predestination theory is biology. I am of the opinion that genes have some effect (for example, worrying or aggression can be genetic?) but mind over matter triumphs in many cases. People can be taught goodness or badness.
  • I am of the opinion that genes have some effect (for example, worrying or aggression can be genetic?) but mind over matter triumphs in many cases. People can be taught goodness or badness.
    Assuming the universe is completely deterministic, then our future has already been predetermined. Every action and word we will speak.
  • So, you don't believe in Free Will?
    No, I don't. We effectively have free will, since we all think we do and behave as such, but in an objective sense, we don't really make decisions. Our lives are the result of the interactions of atoms with other atoms, and nothing more.

Of course, it's not practical to live as if there's no free will, but it's important to remember that we're all making a very fundamental, low-level assumption in our lives.
  • but in an objective sense, we don't really make decisions.
    We effect all that comes after us, and are the effect of all that has come before.

Or not. As I have said for most of my sentient life, the fundamental question of existence is simply whether or not causality is truly inviolable. One answer allows free will. One does not.

Regardless, we have the illusion of free will. In a solipsistic sense, I have free will. Maybe you do too. But, while solipsistic logic is the only path to absolute truth we can conceive, it is also narrow such that it has zero real-world applicability.

Are we the result of all that has come before? Or is there a break somewhere in the possibly infinite chain of causality?

The solipsistic test proves the latter, but proves it for no one. The objective test eludes us, and possibly will so forever.
  • The objective test eludes us, and possibly will so forever.
    The answer is obviously an invisible, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent deity. Duh.
    The answer is obviously an invisible, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent deity. Duh.
    No, the answer is my invisible, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent deity. Yours is just a bunch of made-up heathen bullshit, and you'll go to a very bad place if you don't completely agree with me.

The real answer, at least as far as I (being a solipsistic being) can tell, is that we're all gods. Or, rather, that we're all the same god.
    No, the answer ismyinvisible, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent deity. Yours is just a bunch of made-up heathen bullshit, and you'll go to a very bad place if you don't completely agree with me.
    The real answer, at least as far as I (being a solipsistic being) can tell, is that we'reallgods. Or, rather, that we're all thesamegod.
    Wow, That makes things both simple and complicated at the same time. I'm changing the name of this thread since this new course of conversation is much more interesting.
  • You are the emergent behavior of a complex system of biochemical interactions.
    So, when I get drunk tonight and wake up face down in the gutter tomorrow in a pool of my own sick, it won't be my fault? Thanks. That'll make me feel less guilty tomorrow.
  • You are the emergent behavior of a complex system of biochemical interactions.
    So, when I get drunk tonight and wake up face down in the gutter tomorrow in a pool of my own sick, it won't be my fault? Thanks. That'll make me feel less guilty tomorrow.
    Yup! Make sure you tell the wife. "I couldn't help it, honey; I was simply following along in the random, non-directed interaction of atoms. Honest."

Let me know how that works for you.
  • Yup! Make sure you tell the wife. "I couldn't help it, honey; I was simply following along in the random, non-directed interaction of atoms. Honest."

Let me know how that works for you.
    Actually, if you ask my girlfriend, You'll probably find that this would be one of my more plausible excuses.