This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Probably. And you can always make a stereotypical man joke in kind, there are many.
    Since I find that kind of "humor" abhorrent, I would not do that. I laugh at some humor that deals with gender and race; however, for me, that definitely crossed a line and I won't just let that pass.
    If you think it is funny to liken an entire group to animals and then imply that white men should control them, then you and I have a very different sense of humor.
  • edited October 2009
    If you think it is funny to liken an entire group to animals
    Making a comparison between specific behaviors of a person or group of persons and specific behaviors of a certain species of animal does not amount to "likening them to animals" in any meaningful way. I'm pretty sure you know that.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited October 2009
    then you and I have a very different...
    We've established this many times...

Spook easily...hehehehe
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2009
    What's wrong with horses? Don't you like horses? I was just trying to help the boy out by drawing an analogy. Sheesh. Why do you think most women like horses so much? They like them because they share so many of the same behaviors.

Seriously, if you don't like horses, imagine that they are feral kittens. They are very shy and you have to coax them into a kitty carrier before you take them to "animal control" (your bedroom). How are you going to get them into the carrier? Apply that same logic to your women problem.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • LOL, brilliant Joe!

On the fail note, I just started the coffee making without putting any coffee in it.
  • edited October 2009
    My recent fail: I found a torrent of House of Mystery comics dating back to the 50s, so I downloaded them. I used to like these as a kid, but I did not remember how full of fail the old Comics Code Authority was. It's pretty hard to do a good horror story when you can't show blood or monsters.

Actually, you could say that women are like monsters. There are certain unwritten rules for dealing with them, and if you violate those rules, they will kill you.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If you think it is funny to liken an entire group to animals
    Making a comparison between specific behaviors of a person or group of persons and specific behaviors of a certain species of animal does not amount to "likening them to animals" in any meaningful way. I'm pretty sure you know that.
    Certainly I do, but then insinuating that they need to be broken by men?! That colors the entire joke. Seriously, would it be okay with you if someone joked that black people were animals that needed to be broken by white people? I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this.
  • edited October 2009
    Certainly I do, but then insinuating that they need to be broken by men?! That colors the entire joke. Seriously, would it be okay with you if someone joked that black people were animals that needed to be broken by white people? I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this.
    Go back to the kitchen.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Go back to the kitchen.
    But I might chip a nail!
  • Certainly I do, but then insinuating that they need to be broken by men?! That colors the entire joke. Seriously, would it be okay with you if someone joked that black people were animals that needed to be broken by white people? I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this.
    Depends how it's presented. One aspect of this you're overlooking is the cleverness. These are offensive comments, but the clever presentation and the implied sarcastic tone is what makes them jokes rather than simply male bigotry. If Joe had said, "you just have to learn how to trick women into sleeping with you," it wouldn't have been funny.
  • edited October 2009
    Depends how it's presented. One aspect of this you're overlooking is the cleverness. These are offensive comments, but the clever presentation and the implied sarcastic tone is what makes them jokes rather than simply male bigotry. If Joe had said, "you just have to learn how to trick women into sleeping with you," it wouldn't have been funny.
    I didn't perceive the joke as clever at all and it is incredibly difficult to know when someone is being sarcastic in text. Even if someone had perfect timing and delivery, this particular content isn't funny to me.
    Also, HJ just advocated tricking women into a relationship so that he could get home furnishings in the window coverings thread. I hope this was a joke, but I honestly can't tell through his presentation via text alone.
    EDIT: On this issue, I am serious business. HJ has every right to make a tasteless joke and I have every right to find it tasteless.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • EDIT: On this issue, I am serious business. HJ has every right to make a tasteless joke and I have every right to find it tasteless.
    Fair enough, I think we're both done with this anyway.
  • My trench coat was entirely too much coat for today's weather. It was 40 yesterday morning, today it's 60, WTF DC?
  • edited October 2009
    My trench coat was entirely too much coat for today's weather. It was 40 yesterday morning, today it's 60, WTF DC?
    It's supposed to hit 70F in Albany tomorrow, then drop down to 50F on Friday.

Environmental fail!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited October 2009
    It's been between 40 and 60 F for over a week in North Carolina. Bloody weather.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • My trench coat was entirely too much coat for today's weather. It was 40 yesterday morning, today it's 60, WTF DC?
    I know right. But at least it's good going out weather.
  • It's officially that weather where you need to wear two sets of clothes depending on the time of day.

Fail for me...stuck in a class that I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail. Test-heavy courses ftl.
  • Just layer. C'mon people. :P
  • Reading this:
    Second: break her in like a horse!
    Ride her hard and put her away wet. ;)
  • Everyone's a little bit racist...it's true!

Kate, you have every right to be offended and respond to discriminatory jokes. However, you shouldn't be surprised when everyone thinks you have a stick up your butt, because it sounds like you do. Similarly, people shouldn't be surprised at your reaction, because they should know by now what you think. We make off-color jokes about various subjects all the time. Pete has yet to get offended by me telling him to get his bitch-ass in the kitchen and make me some pie...although I have yet to get the pie.

Unrelated...my fail is that I can't hear out of my right ear and will probably have to go to the doctor to get whatever's blocking the canal out.
  • edited October 2009
    After cramming hardcore for 3 days and meticulously reviewing notes and practicing problems, I took a calc midterm this morning (20% of my grade, hurray!). I was blindsided by several problems I only knew how to approach halfway. I expect my final score to be no less than 70% but no higher than 80%, which is okay considering my first midterm was a 93%, but still sucks completely to my personal line of thought.

The only upside to today was that I knew every single answer for my East Asian Lit class, and likely aced the midterm.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Unrelated...my fail is that I can't hear out of my right ear and will probably have to go to the doctor to get whatever's blocking the canal out.
    wax
  • edited October 2009

Kate, you have every right to be offended and respond to discriminatory jokes. However, you shouldn't be surprised when everyone thinks you have a stick up your butt, because it sounds like you do. Similarly, people shouldn't be surprised at your reaction, because they should know by now what you think. We make off-color jokes about various subjects all the time. Pete has yet to get offended by me telling him to get his bitch-ass in the kitchen and make me some pie...although I have yet to get the pie.
    See my comments in the office romance thread.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Unrelated...my fail is that I can't hear out of my right ear and will probably have to go to the doctor to get whatever's blocking the canal out.
    wax
    A Jelly Belly?
    wax
    Yes, but the stuff I have that is specifically for unclogging wax blocks isn't working, and I haven't been able to dissolve it any other way either.
  • Yes, but the stuff I have that is specifically for unclogging wax blocks isn't working, and I haven't been able to dissolve it any other way either.
    Then you have a big block and you need an ENT to vacuum it out most likely.
  • Yes, but the stuff I have that is specifically for unclogging wax blocks isn't working
    I don't even bother with that stuff. An actual ENT told me that it was pretty much snake oil. He also said that "brown bottle" peroxide for cuts and stuff worked, but only for small amounts of wax and only after having an initial blockage removed.
  • Pete has yet to get offended by me telling him to get his bitch-ass in the kitchen and make me some pie...although I have yet to get the pie.
    Well, maybe if you weren't all inconsiderate, with your "gluten intolerance" or whatever Randi bullshit you keep coming up with, you'd have some pie by now!
  • Pete has yet to get offended by me telling him to get his bitch-ass in the kitchen and make me some pie...although I have yet to get the pie.
    Well, maybe if you weren't all inconsiderate, with your "gluten intolerance" or whatever Randi bullshit you keep coming up with, you'd have some pie by now!
    Nuri - that is the joke. Pete always tells me to get back in the kitchen and then I go crazy on him or make a joke about men. The entire act of being "ultra-feminist" is part of the routine.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    In other news, there have been 3002 fails/fail discussions in this thread. We all officially suck at life.
    Post edited by Geo on