This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• A man destroys his $2 million Bugatti Veyron by driving it into a salt lagoon. He was on his cell phone at the time.

There are apparently 15 of these cars in the United States. Well, OK, scratch that; there are now 14 of these cars in the United States.
  • Money can't by common sense and driving skills, I guess.
    Well, it can. People just choose not to invest.
    Well, it can. People just choose not to invest.
    You have to be some kind of special to buy a $2 million feat of automotive engineering and not invest in sensible driving lessons. Cars like that require an entirely different set of driving skills, which I'm sure this guy did not possess.
  • You have to be some kind of special to buy a $2 million feat of automotive engineering and not invest in sensible driving lessons. Cars like that require an entirely different set of driving skills, which I'm sure this guy did not possess.
    This is true, but it doesn't sound like that happened in this case.

Dude got frightened by a bird and jerked the car off the road. Handling the inputs of a car roughly at speed cause accidents all the time. Personally I believe it to be the leading cause of accidents at highway speed, though I've never seen a study to confirm or deny this.
  • Something pretty terrible happened today as I was heading into work. My boss calls me on my cell-phone and we exchange the usual formalities, but I found that he sounded very sullen and distressed by something. I asked him what was wrong and he said (slowly and painfuly) that I was fired. I blankly said "....What?".

He said that he had fired me because of how bad the economy had been and he had to let someone go. He was upset because I was a very hard worker, and he didn't want to let me go, but he had no choice. Instead of whining and complaining, I was fair and I said "I understand, it'll be hard for the both of us, but you treated me fairly and I likewise to you. You treated me both as a worker and a friend, and I won't forget that." He seemed relieved that I took it fairly because as I said before, I understood why he had to do it and knowing that he wouldn't have done it under any other circumstance, which takes a weight off this otherwise terrible situation.

Well...back to the old help wanted ads.
  • Something pretty terrible happened today as I was heading into work. My boss calls me on my cell-phone and we exchange the usual formalities, but I found that he sounded very sullen and distressed by something. I asked him what was wrong and he said (slowly and painfuly) that I was fired. I blankly said "....What?".

He said that he had fired me because of how bad the economy had been and he had to let someone go. He was upset because I was a very hard worker, and he didn't want to let me go, but he had no choice. Instead of whining and complaining, I was fair and I said "I understand, it'll be hard for the both of us, but you treated me fairly and I likewise to you. You treated me both as a worker and a friend, and I won't forget that." He seemed relieved that I took it fairly because as I said before, I understood why he had to do it and knowing that he wouldn't have done it under any other circumstance, which takes a weight off this otherwise terrible situation.

Well...back to the old help wanted ads.
    Ask for a letter of reference. Those can be invaluable.
  • That sucks a lot, man. Are you in a position where you really need to have a job right now?
  • Ask for a letter of reference. Those can be invaluable.
    Yes. Make sure you can use him as a reference for other jobs.

Also, that really sucks. I hope you find something on your job search!
  • That sucks a lot, man. Are you in a position where you really need to have a job right now?
    I'm a high-schooler, but I want to earn some money and some experience in the working world as well.
  • I'm a high-schooler, but I want to earn some money and some experience in the working world as well.
    I understand, but at least it takes some pressure off that you don't have to make rent or something. Also, I thought you were like 20 or something. Eh. :)
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    I'm a high-schooler, but I want to earn some money and some experience in the working world as well.
    I understand, but at least it takes some pressure off that you don't have to make rent or something. Also, I thought you were like 20 or something. Eh. :)
    Somewhat close, 18.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I had to meet with an outside company that is designing software for us, a meeting I learned about the night before and did not know a thing about. I love having to answer questions about a project I know nothing about with systems I am just begining to understand :-(
  • I had to meet with an outside company that is designing software for us, a meeting I learned about the night before and did not know a thing about. I love having to answer questions about a project I know nothing about with systems I am just begining to understand :-(
    Similar thing happened to me earlier this year. Since I work on a defense project, the government is heavily involved with security and keeping things confidential. So after being here for only a couple months, I get audited to answer a bunch of questions about security things that I hadn't used yet or even heard of since I was still doing training for all that stuff. Answering a whole lot of questions with either "I don't Know" or "I'll ask somebody when I need to."
  • edited November 2009
    I usually take a look at this stunning example of humanity for the lulz, but sometimes the thing he says just piss me the hell off and I need to look at kitten pictures instead.

He's a near 40-year old obese furry virgin who's never had a grander job than mopping the floors at a donut shop, gets his current income by begging for donations on his furry webcomic, spent the last few years living in his parents basement (I heard he recently got a trailer), never dates... basically fits every requirement of the stereotype. He's also so right wing that he makes Ann Coulter look like a flower child. He claims he's not a misogynist, but... read the journal. (Yeah by the way, it's all the wimmins fault that he never dates. Apparently their standards are too high.) He thought decrying the president was equivalent to treason... until 2008. He almost never argues on a platform where he doesn't hold an advantage, deleting posts and watching his fundie friends leap on anyone who disagrees with him. Did I mention that he leaves no impression that he ever leaves his home?

I just can't stand people who put themselves up on a pedestal of wisdom and ANGRILY tell the rest of the internet world how to live their lives, when it's obvious that they've hardly stepped out the door and lived themselves. The ones that piss me off the most are when he starts grandstanding about feminism, how to properly behave as a woman, and how good and easy we women have it here and it's time to shut up. I'm sorry, be a woman first. Then open your fat mouth.

GAH. Time for kittens.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited November 2009
    My chem TA, who is one of the coolest guys I've ever met (like whoa), overheard me talking about my shift in interests back to mechanical engineering from biochem, and how I was interested in biofuey.l vehicles. He then said I should check out chemical engineering because "you have to have biofuels to have biofuel vehicles," and pointed me to an adviser who could help.

Now, I'm not too interested in ChemE, and I didn't get a chance to see that advisor, but this fail is just that people around me make it difficult to be decisive about what I want to do with my life. Having suggestions catapulted at me is one of the reasons I'm struggling to get a foothold in a major presently, and I really wish it would stop (even if the people in question kick total ass).
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Because I work remote, and because I've been super poor for the time I've been working at this company, they bought me a phone to use. They said I could use it both for work and for personal matters, since it was an unlimited plan. Because of this, I've been using it as my primary phone since April.

I recently got this email from my work's office manager:

"Since we've hired another full-time customer support person, we need to get the phone line back. The phone line will be moved over today or tomorrow."

No warning. No discussion. Also, it has been exactly two weeks since they were supposed to pay me, and I haven't seen any money. I think they're slowly and passive-aggressively trying to fire me. This sucks. This job was supposed to be my big break. I could work from home, get paid a lot of money, and finally not be living month to month. Now all that seems to be crumbling, and I'm stuck in a city where there are no jobs.
  • Don't take any guff from those swine. Caving now is just what they want you to do.
  • Don't take any guff from those swine. Caving now is just what they want you to do.
    I feel like this should be on a courage wolf.
  • There was trouble. I decline to speak on it any more at this time, other than to say I won.
  • There was trouble. I decline to speak on it any more at this time, other than to say I won.
    You can't tease like that and not dish, girlfriend.
  • Seriously, OhmiGawd. Tell us, tell us! Don't hold out on the gossip!
  • Googling to find more information on my modding my camaro, the second result was the thread I created on a forum that wasn't answering my question.
    Victory pose? But yeah man, when you're ready dish on!
  • edited November 2009
    Let me refine my statement - I shan't speak on it in a public forum, due to the results of such, which were of epic hilarity, but enough of a failure on the parts of others to warrant the posting in this thread, rather than TOYD, Booyah, or Fail of your booyah.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Let me refine my statement - I shan't speak on it in a public forum, due to the results of such, which were of epic hilarity, but enough of a failure on the parts of others to warrant the posting in this thread, rather than TOYD, Booyah, or Fail of your booyah.
    Man, fuck the po-lice.
  • Why would you want to fuck po' little lice? They are just imoverished bugs. What did they ever do to you?
  • Why would you want to fuck po' little lice?
    Maybe he has a diminutive member.