This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited February 2009
    The money might be good, but don't degrade yourself like that man! It's better to have money that wasn't earned by embarrassing yourself.
    I've been a dedicated Theater rat since the age of eight, and to say that it would be my first time in front of an audience acting as a woman would be quite a lie to tell. Seriously, I walk better in high heels than my sister. No embarrassment will be involved.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The money might be good, but don't degrade yourself like that man! It's better to have money that wasn't earned by embarrassing yourself.
    I've been a dedicated Theater rat since the age of eight, and to say that it would be my first time in front of an audience acting as a woman would be quite a lie to tell. Seriously, I walk better in high heels than my sister. No embarrassment will be involved.
    Oh ok. Embed a video of it for us then, kay?
  • The money might be good, but don't degrade yourself like that man! It's better to have money that wasn't earned by embarrassing yourself.
    Oh ok. Embed a video of it for us then, kay?
    Will do, if a)I get on/decide to go on the show and b)It's possible.
  • I forgot to bring my package of Morningstar Sausage patties for breakfast into work. No good breakfast for me this morning. -_-
    What man? And why is it embarrassing to dress as a lady? Drag is fun. (I should break out some of the pictures of my sister from the drag ball. She looked like a rock star, and her costume was great. Kinda Kurt Cobain-esque.)

Here, I'll say something controversial: A man dressing in the trappings of femininity is degrading himself just as much as a woman is when she wears the same thing. Discuss.
  • Here, I'll say something controversial: A man dressing in the trappings of femininity is degrading himself just as much as a woman is when she wears the same thing. Discuss.
    Clothes do not make the man, nor the woman, though they do cover up their naughty bits.
  • A man dressing in the trappings of femininity is degrading himself just as much as a woman is when she wears the same thing.
    I'd call that a perfectly accurate statement.
    edited February 2009
    Morningstar Sausage
    Morningstar Sausage
    *-* Someone. Draw a medieval war where metal is replaced by meat.
    Here, I'll say something controversial: A man dressing in the trappings of femininity is degrading himself just as much as a woman is when she wears the same thing. Discuss.
    Ehm, Gomily? Ehm, am I missing something? Where's the controversial part? Perhaps when you look at it from the expectation side, but then again, there are people who expect to get 40 virgins after killing themselves, or meet died family, or they expect to become a mighty Rock.
    Post edited by ... on
  • *-* Someone. Draw a medieval war where metal is replaced by meat.
    Let me correct myself, Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patties. I eat them everyday for breakfast at work. I recently tried the Maple flavored veggies sausages. They are quite tasty-delicious.

I honestly can't eat normal sausage patties anymore. I tried Jimmy Dean a while ago, and it broke my stomach.
  • Let me correct myself
    No real need, I already Googled them after my delicious dreamery. Thanks though, now I want to have that. I also still want to see pictures of a medieval war where chest plates are made out of T-bone steaks, shields out of spare ribs, sausage morning stars, wiener swords.
  • I also still want to see pictures of a medieval war where chest plates are made out of T-bone steaks, shields out of spare ribs, sausage morning stars, wiener swords.
    That doesn't sound like a successful campaign. All you need are hungry dogs/wolves/velociraptors to take care of them. :P
  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I fucking hate Hollywood. Art has now died.
  • edited February 2009
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:I fucking hate Hollywood. Art has now died.
    Seriously?! Has art died? Just because they are remaking a Kurosawa film? Have you even clicked on any of the links of the people/companies involved?

From just briefly looking, The Kurosawa Production company is working on this. As for the screenplay, it's being done by John Fusco. I never knew that name, but from seeing his filmography, he's done the screenplays for some movies that I have enjoyed. Mind you, I don't consider Hidalgo, The Forbidden Kingdom, or Young Guns 1 & 2 to be the highest quality films, but they were good.

Also, this movie is being produced by Hisao Kurosawa who is more than likely related to Akira Kurosawa and also produced on Ran alongside Akira.

So is it because they are remaking a classic is why you are so vehemently upset? Please clarify.

I think so far with what they are showing on who is working on it, it actually shows some promise.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I watched The Seven Samurai and found it looooong and tedious. It got to the point where I watched it at double speed, because the subtitles still showed up and I could follow it no problem. Sure, it was a ground breaking and very influential film, but it is hardly accessible to a modern audience.

I have no problem with a remake. If the reviews are good I'll watch it. If the reviews are bad I won't. I recommend you take the same route.
  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again:I fucking hate Hollywood. Art has now died.
    Seriously?! Has art died? Just because they are remaking a Kurosawa film? Have you even clicked on any of the links of the people/companies involved?

From just briefly looking, The Kurosawa Production company is working on this. As for the screenplay, it's being done byJohn Fusco. I never knew that name, but from seeing his filmography, he's done the screenplay for some movies that I have enjoyed. Mind you, I don't consider Hidalgo, The Forbidden Kingdom, or Young Guns 1 & 2 to be the highest quality films, but they were good.

Also, this movie is being produced byHisao Kurosawawho is more than likely related to Akira Kurosawa and also produced onRanalongside Akira.

So is it because they remaking a classic is why you are so vehemently upset? Please clarify.

I think so far with what they are showing on who is working on it, it actually shows some promise.
    I was just so upset by the fact that there is a remake of this amazing film that I didn't want to dignify it by looking it up. I guess I'm the ass in this case.
  • I was just so upset by the fact that there is a remake of this amazing film that I didn't want to dignify it by looking it up. I guess I'm the ass in this case.
    So you think The Magnificent Seven was shit?
  • I was just so upset by the fact that there is a remake of this amazing film that I didn't want to dignify it by looking it up. I guess I'm the ass in this case.
    Yep, you are. Instead of making statements out of anger and being indignant, I suggest you try looking more into what's going on for a better educated decision. :P

Luke also brings out good points as well. Also perhaps with the remake people will want to check out the original as well as the anime.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2009
    I was just so upset by the fact that there is a remake of this amazing film that I didn't want to dignify it by looking it up. I guess I'm the ass in this case.
    Yep, you are. Instead of making statements out of anger and being indignant, I suggest you try looking more into what's going on for a better educated decision. :P

Luke also brings out good points as well. Also perhaps with the remake people will want to check out the original as well as the anime.
    Can you blame me though? Surrounded by Hollywood's crappy movies and shitty remakes, it's pretty easy to get upset when your favorite movie in the whole world is being remade and has the possibility of being turned into an inferior product in the end. I may be wrong, but it's never good to get one's hopes up for something like this because it'll only hurt you harder if you are disappointed in the end. Also in most cases, most people my age aren't even aware that remakes are remakes and usually don't have any desire to check out originals simply because they are old. Also who can top Mifune's performance as Kikuchiyo? If somebody is able to do that then I'll be very surprised.
    So you think The Magnificent Seven was shit?
    I don't think of Maginificent Seven as a remake, I look at it as a reimagining, and damn good one I must say. The same goes with Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Can you blame me though?
    Yes, I already did. You even said you didn't even check who was working on it because it you didn't want to "dignify" it.
    Surrounded by Hollywood's crappy movies and shitty remakes, it's pretty easy to get upset when your favorite movie in the whole world is being remade and has the possibility of being turned into an inferior product in the end.
    It's pretty easy for you to get upset. Some people just take it for what it is. Will it honestly be the end of your world if they don't do a good enough job to your standards?
    I may be wrong, but it's never good to get one's hopes up for something like this because it'll only hurt you harder if you are disappointed in the end.
    That's the person's own fault for getting their hopes up. Not everyone can be satisfied with how a remake comes out. People have different opinions.
    Also in most cases, most people my age aren't even aware that remakes are remakes and usually don't have any desire to check out originals simply because they are old.
    And most people like that are close minded and are what I consider not worth mentioning. It's the young punk kids that actually know that it was remade and actually takes the time out to check out the originals, that are worth knowing and talking to.
    Also who can top Mifune's performance as Kikuchiyo? If somebody is able to do that then I'll be very surprised.
    Possibly no one. If you are such a fanboy of the first, why even bother talking about the remake? You obviously aren't even open minded to the possibility of a remake being good enough for your standards.

A lot of people were skeptical when they heard Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker in The Dark Knight. A lot of people were taken by surprise by his performance. When I first heard of it, I was a tiny bit skeptical, but I went into the movie with an open mind to see what the actors and the movie had to offer.

I suggest you do the same.
  • Lit a fire on a windy day, smoke everywhere, not good.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2009
    I think my real complaint here is quite simple. Why remake something at all? If it is already something that is loved (depends on the thing itself and the people who like it), why do it over again? Why should something get a facelift if the technology is better than it once was. If it was the director going back and improving upon their work (without doing it over again), than I would understand, but why should an unknown remake something that wasn't his? Money may be the answer for most of these questions, but I think the real reasons go deeper than that.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited February 2009
    I think my real complaint here is quite simple. Why remake something at all? If it is already something that is loved (depends on the thing itself and the people who like it), why do it over again?
    I hardly believe that your complaint is simple. You came across as a whiny indignant punk kid who got his panties all in a bunch because you just happened to see they were remaking a film that you are a overzealous fanboy of that didn't properly look into what was going on and made a rash and stupid comment about it. OMG, ART HAS DIED!11!!
    Why remake something at all?
    I will agree there have been not so great remakes of certain pieces of literature or movies, or whatever, however I honestly think you need to take a step back, breathe, and realize that all this shit isn't going to kill you nor will it end your happy existence.

Do you disagree and dislike what Peter Jackson did with the LoTR trilogy? It was a remake of the animated series.

Part my answer relates to a video that Bear Police linked a while ago in the TotD thread. It was a 60 min film about copyright and the point of views from different people around the world. One segment was about an artist named Girl Talk. Basically what this guy does is samples popular songs and mixes them together into a compilation. If you click on his albums, they will show the track list of his music as well as provide you what songs are in the mixes. I have to say, his music is awesome. I really enjoy how he mixes old music with new and it gives me a whole new appreciation of the song all over again.

The same thing goes with DJ Dangermouse. Here is a guy that mixed the Beatles White Album with Jay-Z's Black Album. It became a huge internet success. From his internet fame, it landed him to work with more famous well known bands.

Anyways, the point I'm getting at is when people are allowed to either redo or take an old idea and redo something with it to give a product of how they feel about a piece of artwork, it can actually turn out to be something awesome. Sure there will be a lot of things that are redone that aren't that great, but it gives the opportunity for new ideas, new takes, new views on an old idea/movie/perception that people probably never saw before. It brings about creativity.

This might not be the case for most movie remakes, but I'd like to give some benefit of the doubt for the people who are working on the new Seven Samurai.
    If it was the director going back and improving upon their work (without doing it over again), than I would understand, but why should an unknown remake something that wasn't his?
    What if the piece of work was done ages ago where the director is dead? Are you saying the possible relative of Kurosawa is an unknown? Maybe Kurosawa is doing it so he can get the newer generation to discover Samurai Severn in a way the newer generation can understand. Perhaps he is doing it as tribute to the late Akira Kurosawa. Are you just generalizing?

What about Shakespeare? His plays have been done over and over again. I honestly enjoyed Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet. Sure they took out some key parts to the play. I was a young punk kid at the time, but was absolutely in love with the movie. If anything that movie brought me more interested into reading more of Shakespeare's plays.

10 Things I Hate About You was a version of Taming of the Shrew. Sure it was one of those silly teen comedy movies, however it brought Heath Ledger out into the spotlight. Sometimes when things are redone or retold, they can bring out new things that can bring out up and coming awesome actors.

So you're basically saying that nothing should EVER be redone for the sake of preserving its original form, and that's that?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • With that attitude, you might as well also say they shouldn't make movies out of books.
  • With that attitude, you might as well also say they shouldn't make movies out of books.
    Aren't those called adaptations?

Either way, the complaints about the remake are in my opinion invalid for the mere reason that the 'original' will still be around. If you don't like the idea that a story you enjoy is getting re-imagined, just don't consume it then.
  • Bombed my first exam in a long time. Luckily we get to drop one test grade for the semester.
  • edited February 2009
    Take Back NYU: thanks for the laughs, but you just made the entire student body look bad across NYC. If anyone has heard anything/read Gawker on the subject, I can safely tell you the embarrassments you've heard are probably accurate. In particular, the group has:

-Made a list of demands with a few decent ideas ruined by pro-Palestine ideals. (They should be protesting for budget reformation, but then they demanded that surplus funds from the school be donated to rebuilding the University of Gaza)

-Been given food by NYU as a sign of good will, only to deny the food because it was not vegan. Once vegan food was delivered, they refused the food because it came from Aramark, which uses prison labor.

-Made blog posts about life on the inside of their occupation. One particular post complained about not being able to smoke. IF YOU TAKE OVER A BUILDING, YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT SMOKING IN IT.

-Had a severe moral shot after the school shut off the electricity and wi-fi. Apparently no one thought about bringing a cellular modem.

EDIT: Also, we have 36 guests at the moment. You can sign up, friends. We won't hurt you.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • We went all the way to Vienna to see The Young Dubliners at Wolf Trap. They were canceled because of weather. (Not our weather but where they were coming from) Since we were already out we went to an Irish pub with live shows. It wasn't all bad.
  • Aren't those called adaptations?
    This clearly isn't a debate about terminology.
    The fact is that an adaptation is re-using the same source material in a different light. A remake is capable of doing the same thing.
  • This clearly isn't a debate about terminology.
    It isn't, but when discussing movies, the two words mean different things. An adaptation is a movie that has never been made before, but is based on a previously existing work of fiction. A remake, on the other hand, is when you make a movie based on a movie that has already been made. The terms are not interchangeable.
    The fact is that an adaptation is re-using the same source material in a different light. A remake is capable of doing the same thing.
    I agree with you here, and a discussion about remakes can lead into a discussion regarding the artistic merits of adaptations, sequels, re-imaginings, and any other kind of movie that is based on an existing work. So I see where you were trying to go with your original post.

That said, I don't have a problem with the idea of re-using existing material, no matter the medum. I prefer to give things the benefit of a doubt until I have seen something concrete that tells me whether or not something will be good.
  • The girl I am currently chasing after seems to enjoy the romantic company of my roommate more than mine.