This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Hey, but it wasn't in rejection, right?
    This is true. However, another guy is after her, so I feel like I'm on borrowed time right now.
    This is true. However, another guy is after her, so I feel like I'm on borrowed time right now.
    Still ask her out.
    Still ask her out.
    I intend upon it.
  • edited February 2009
    You said, and I quote:
    They're there to discourage you from driving like an idiot and putting others in danger.
    That implies that I was driving like an "idiot" and "putting others in danger". That is a pretty clear statement about someone's driving with little-to-no information. I am taking action; I am reducing the charge so that I don't get any points on my license (which would raise my insurance costs). A lower charge also means a lower fine. I mentioned the ticket in the thread because it was my "failure" of the day. I am owning the blame and making the best of it. Has anyone else in this thread been kicked when they were down? If so, I do not remember it. It was an aggressive post and you know it.
    Regardless, if there were ever a vote to raise the speed limit on that section of the 87, I certainly would vote for the increase. Since that won't ever happen - I just have to keep in mind that there are speed traps there at the end of fiscal quarters where the highway goes from 65 to 55. It is bullshit, but I don't have time to start a petition and an organization to change it.
    EDIT: The only reason my commute is 15 minutes is because I take the highway and it is only 15 minutes on the way to work as it is over 30 on the way home owing to traffic. You can't ride a bike on a highway and to take side roads would take over 40 minutes by car as I have to cross a river and there are limited bridges. Also, I live in upstate NY. It is cold and I have to wear nice clothing to work. I would like to see you make that ride wearing heels and a skirt in freezing temperatures. Oh, and I do not own a bike anymore. Again, way to make a judgment call with no information.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2009
    I got a speeding ticket about 2 weeks ago (84 in a 65). Apparently, though I haven't gone to court yet, the way it works in this particular town is that after an initial "Not Guilty" plea, the DA will offer all the speeders on trial that day a reduced charge if they'll accept a guilty plea. There's no debate, it's just "We'll give you X if you plead guilty." I'm not sure how it works, but I think if it's resolved in town court, the town collects the fine. If you resolve it in county or state court, the county or state collects the fine. So the town has a vested interest in getting you to pay something. I know a lot of coworkers who've had 20+ over tickets reduced to Parking on Pavement tickets.
    You can also write the D.A. and send them your driving record and they will offer you a plea without attending Court. I can draft it for you, if you like.
    Nah, I'm just going to show up early and talk to the DA. It gives me an excuse to leave work early. Plus, I want to learn for myself how this system works. I'm sure it's bullshit anyhow, but it's good to learn it.
    There is never any good reason to speed. Especially on a freaking 15 minute commute, grab your bike for such a minimal distance btw.
    You're talking about a 15 mile commute. It's doable, but it's far from trivial. If it were a 3 mile commute, you might have a point there.

EDIT: Today's fail: After much trash talking, I entered dark chocolate cherry orange peel muffins into a bake-off at work today. Victory was assured.

I lost. The vote tally was 18 - 4. I lost to blueberry muffins. Fucking blueberry.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • EDIT: Today's fail: After much trash talking, I entered dark chocolate cherry orange peel muffins into a bake-off at work today. Victory was assured.

I lost. The vote tally was 18 - 4. I lost to blueberry muffins. Fucking blueberry.
    I should have guessed that the FDA would have office food-preparation contests.
  • EDIT: Today's fail: After much trash talking, I entered dark chocolate cherry orange peel muffins into a bake-off at work today. Victory was assured.

I should have guessed that the FDA would have office food-preparation contests.
    I don't work for the FDA, but it's close enough to what I do that I don't care to explain the difference. :P

Seriously though. Blueberry? That's the Backstreet Boys of muffins. Bland and inoffensive. Dark chocolate muffins, those are the Emperor of muffins. Clearly, my taste in muffins is superior and nobody understands my craft.
  • I don't work for the FDA, but it's close enough to what I do that I don't care to explain the difference. :P
    But I'm not wrong that you're "all up in our governments, inspecktin our foodz", right?

But, yeah. What you made takes a lot more skill than mere blueberry.
  • I don't work for the FDA, but it's close enough to what I do that I don't care to explain the difference. :P
    But I'm not wrong that you're "all up in our governments, inspecktin our foodz", right?
    It's not technically inspecting, but again, close enough. :P

I test food, so I'm the guy who actually finds bad bugs.
  • That implies that I was driving like an "idiot" and "putting others in danger".
    No it did not imply that. That sentence talked about speed limits and the reason why they (should) exist. It said 0 things about you.
    I am taking action; I am reducing the charge so that I don't get any points on my license (which would raise my insurance costs).
    That is not the action I spoke about. The action you are taking is a selfish one that doesn't improve the situation at all. You now have a speeding ticket because you haven't bothered to take action concerning the raising of your local speed limit before.
    It was an aggressive post and you know it.
    Not at all. Merely in your overly serious and paranoid-ish acting.
    You can't ride a bike on a highway and to take side roads would take over 40 minutes by car as I have to cross a river and there are limited bridges.
    Do you live on the freaking highway? It would be perfectly American to drive a bicycle on a highway, other than the fact that driving a bicycle is very un-American-like. Also, you're not supposed to take the car roads with a bicycle for the whole trip. Or does the US also lack bicycle roads?
    I would like to see you make that ride wearing heels and a skirt in freezing temperatures.
    Sure, I would wear normal cycling clothing while on the bicycle though. And do the 5 minute change into more formal clothing at work. A bit of common sense mrs.
    Oh, and I do not own a bike anymore. Again, way to make a judgement call with no information.
    That's sad to hear, however completely irrelevant, as is the complaint about temperature. It doesn't freeze whole year round, and a bicycle could cost you less than a week of groceries. It was also not a judgement call, no judgement was made at all.
    Again, my fellow citizens are too dim to take action, and I can't take action without them. I have no recourse.
    You haven't even tried! Yes Americans are idiots, but you are horribly underestimating them when it comes to low speed limits. Wasn't it your experience that driving the speed limit was dangerous? I do think that all those people would prefer it if the speed limit was raised to a more appropriate speed.
    Speeding shaves a good hour off of my drive to Rochester each way. Two extra hours at my destinations off the roads is well worth the minimal extra cost in gas, and it's no more dangerous.
    I'll give you that, but only because the US puts back alley speed limits on their highways. As a correction to my statement, on any highway with a more normal speed limit you have no reason to speed.
    Most speed limits in Melbourne are 50 kilometres per hour with certain areas set at 40 kph, now thats just completely asinine
    What do you mean with 'in' Melbourne? 50kmh is a pretty normal speed limit actually in a city. If you are talking about a highway or main road running through/circling the city, yeah, there 50kmh makes less sense.
  • Do you live on the freaking highway? It would be perfectly American to drive a bicycle on a highway, other than the fact that driving a bicycle is very un-American-like. Also, you're not supposed to take the car roads with a bicycle for the whole trip. Or does the US also lack bicycle roads?
    I would expect that it does, and I would've thought you'd expect the same thing.
  • What do you mean with 'in' Melbourne? 50kmh is a pretty normal speed limit actually in a city. If you are talking about a highway or main road running through/circling the city, yeah, there 50kmh makes less sense.
    Brisbane speed limits are roughly like this :
    -Residential roads are 50, and are sometimes signed
    -Main roads and most other roads, it's 60, and are regularly signed
    -Freeways and expressways vary from 70 to 100, and are regularly signed
    -Highways are 90 to 110, and are regularly signed

Though there are exceptions, They're mostly things like exit ramps and such, and are always heavily signed. One interesting thing, though - I've hardly ever seen a speed limit drop from, say 110 to 80 immediately - it generaly drops sequentially, say 110, 100, 90, 80.

My memory might be a little hazy, though - I've not driven in about 7 or 8 months, and I've been trying to learn English road rules in that time, so mistakes are probably inevitable.
  • Yeah, that's essentially correct for Brisbane.
    Some main roads have 70km/h sections though.
  • Do you live on the freaking highway? It would be perfectly American to drive a bicycle on a highway, other than the fact that driving a bicycle is very un-American-like. Also, you're not supposed to take the car roads with a bicycle for the whole trip. Or does the US also lack bicycle roads?
    I would say the majority of US roads lack any sort of special bicycle lane. Riding a bicycle on a freeway during rush hour traffic is monumentally retarded, even if you're on the shoulder. There are bike paths in other places, but the majority are scenic routes that don't anywhere major. If you're not on a freeway, and you're on a normal two-lane road in a rural or suburban area, you have to ride on the shoulder. If you're in a city, you're riding your bike in traffic, royally pissing off pretty much every motorist that has to get anywhere.

You seem to think that the speed limits can just be adjusted like that. The law doesn't exist in order to keep people safe; speed limit laws exist specifically to generate ticket revenue. You will not get a municipality to listen to your well-reasoned arguments, because they need the ticket revenue. There are major highways in major cities with speed limits that are simply too low, and they're set there so that a municipality can essentially fine anyone they want to.

Here's the kicker, though: it's too easy to get your license in the US. As a result, I estimate that 40% of motorists on US roads are too incompetent to be there. Even if the majority can operate a vehicle safely at higher speeds, there are enough who cannot and should not, and thus I actually don't want to encourage people to go faster. Competent drivers can deal with it, and find ways to speed anyhow. If we raise speed limits, I would want to raise the standards for obtaining a driver's license as well.
  • edited February 2009
    Do you live on the freaking highway? It would be perfectly American to drive a bicycle on a highway, other than the fact that driving a bicycle is very un-American-like. Also, you're not supposed to take the car roads with a bicycle for the whole trip. Or does the US also lack bicycle roads?
    I would say the majority of US roads lack any sort of special bicycle lane. Riding a bicycle on a freeway during rush hour traffic is monumentally retarded, even if you're on the shoulder. There are bike paths in other places, but the majority are scenic routes that don't anywhere major. If you're not on a freeway, and you're on a normal two-lane road in a rural or suburban area, you have to ride on the shoulder. If you're in a city, you're riding your bike in traffic, royally pissing off pretty much every motorist that has to get anywhere.

You seem to think that the speed limits can just be adjusted like that. The law doesn't exist in order to keep people safe; speed limit laws exist specifically to generate ticket revenue. You will not get a municipality to listen to your well-reasoned arguments, because they need the ticket revenue. There are major highways in major cities with speed limits that are simply too low, and they're set there so that a municipality can essentially fine anyone they want to.

Here's the kicker, though: it's too easy to get your license in the US. As a result, I estimate that 40% of motorists on US roads are too incompetent to be there. Even if the majority can operate a vehicle safely at higher speeds, there are enough who cannot and should not, and thus I actuallydon'twant to encourage people to go faster. Competent drivers can deal with it, and find ways to speed anyhow. If we raise speed limits, I would want to raise the standards for obtaining a driver's license as well.
    I've always thought that at the very least, every 4 years you should have to take the road test to renew your license. Also, I'm pretty sure that my Aunt said the road test is not required to actually get a license in Texas, there's just a longer waiting period if you skip it and only take a written test.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited February 2009
    Also, I'm pretty sure that my Aunt said the road test is not required to actually get a license in Texas, there's just a longer waiting period if you skip it and only take a written test.
    Wow, that's terrifying. I checked the Texas Department of Public Safety, and indeed, you don't need to actually take any sort of road test to get a license.

At least in New York, the road test is stupid easy. You drive around a bit, make some turns, parallel park, and do a 3-point turn. You can be failed automatically for exceeding the speed limit at all, but not for making idiotic choices. We need to test competence in actual driving decisions as well as capacity to actually maneuver a vehicle.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Also, I'm pretty sure that my Aunt said the road test is not required to actually get a license in Texas, there's just a longer waiting period if you skip it and only take a written test.
    Wow, that's terrifying. I checked the Texas Department of Public Safety, and indeed, you don't need to actually take any sort of road test to get a license.

At least in New York, the road test is stupid easy. You drive around a bit, make some turns, parallel park, and do a 3-point turn. You can be failed automatically for exceeding the speed limitat all, but not for making idiotic choices. We need to test competence in actual driving decisions as well as capacity to actually maneuver a vehicle.
    When I took my road test in Alabama, I failed it the first time, because the woman I took it with told me to park as close as possible to the curb and then back up, and I bumped the curb with my tire, which is a automatic fail. I parked like fucking two inches away from the curb woman, and now you want me to back up 100 feet without hitting it.

Anyway, I dreaded that I'd have to do it again, but I figured I'd just park further from the curb before backing up, now that I knew I was going to have to. Low and behold we totally skipped that part of the test when I did it with someone else. Don't they have a checklist or something? I saw the score sheet was filled out fully the second time, so did the first woman decide that I needed to try something new, or did the second woman not feel like doing it?
  • I would've thought you'd expect the same thing.
    I'm optimistic. And my faith in humanity has not yet reached the 0 mark. Though, then I read the above 4 posts and was reminded, REMINDED. WHY!? T_T
    [speed limits post]
    Hmmm, rather slow at points. Speeds here are 50, 80, 100 and 120 in km/h. And 10 for a residential area. These are basically very long, windy, crowded with children playing at times, curbs, with some houses on it. You only ever go on such a 'street' if you a) live there, b) go there to visit, or c) have a driving instructor whose evil and wishes for you to drive for 3 freaking minutes against a snail. And lose.
    Riding a bicycle on a freeway during rush hour traffic is monumentally retarded, even if you're on the shoulder.
    Hence my jesting that it's perfectly American to do so, were it not that driving a bicycle is not an America thing to do.
    The law doesn't exist in order to keep people safe; speed limit laws exist specifically to generate ticket revenue.
    It does exist here to keep people safer. Can't you folks, like, fix your country? I mean, aren't we getting near the point where the US could reasonably be declared bankrupt, right?
    We need to test competence in actual driving decisions as well as capacity to actually maneuver a vehicle.
    You bring understandable points, and I agree. Start by raising the age to at least 18 years old. Young adults are the biggest danger on the roads (at least over here), so having them stalk the roads 2 years longer is a horrible thing
    so did the first woman decide that I needed to try something new, or did the second woman not feel like doing it?
    Second woman probably didn't feel like doing it. Not every driving exam is the same since they depend entirely on your driving. In general the examinator will have talked to your instructor and will test your weak points. Or so it goes here.
  • so did the first woman decide that I needed to try something new, or did the second woman not feel like doing it?
    Second woman probably didn't feel like doing it. Not every driving exam is the same since they depend entirely on your driving. In general the examinator will have talked to your instructor and will test your weak points. Or so it goes here.
    You mean like my driver's ed instructor? That had absolutely nothing to do with my license. The only reason we took it was because we had to, and it lowers insurance.
  • That had absolutely nothing to do with my license.
    my road test in Alabama
    It'd better have something to do with you obtaining your driver's license.
    and it lowers insurance.
    Having a driver's license lowers your insurance? Are you fucking kidding me?
  • Having a driver's license lowers your insurance? Are you fucking kidding me?
    In great America, there are such things as drivers permits. They allow you to drive around without a license.
  • Remind me not to drive next time I'm in the great America.
  • Plus, I want to learn for myself how this system works. I'm sure it's bullshit anyhow, but it's good to learn it.
    If I were you, I'd have gone with MacRoss's solution ;^)
    Young adults are the biggest danger on the roads
    In the US, the elderly are by far the biggest danger on the roads. Drunks are second, teenage drivers are third. (I'll have to find/delicious that study again: it has other interesting correlations as well).
  • In great America, there are such things as drivers permits. They allow you to drive around without a license.
    *kills himself*
  • edited February 2009
    Paranoid and over-serious? You addressed my post and made judgment calls about my lifestyle, my driving habits, my political activism (which is directed at children's issues and cancer prevention - not traffic speeds) and my commute with no information. To the best of my knowledge, this is supposed to be a thread for commiseration and individuals pointing out when they fail, not an issue thread. Who is being over-serious when I make a small post about a relatively insignificant event and then you post an insulting, assuming, accusatory and judgmental response? You have just done what you accuse me of doing - being over-serious in lighthearted threads.
    Again, I am not going to call you names or remove "respect points" because everyone makes mistakes and everyone is a hypocrite occasionally. I realize this and won't hold a grudge. Own up to being over-serious and recognize that what you wrote (whether intended or not) came off as insulting and move on.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2009
    Hence my jesting that it's perfectly American to do so, were it not that driving a bicycle is not an America thing to do.
    Hey, half my co-workers bike to work. The other half take the train. In the summer, bike is my primary method of transportation. ALSO: seriously? American road infrastructure is not built in a bike-friendly way. I'm serious.
    Yes Americans are idiots
    Gee, t'anks. That made my morning. I'd refute that point but I'm just too dumb because I was born here and I can't think of anything witty.
    After much trash talking, I entered dark chocolate cherry orange peel muffins into a bake-off at work today. Victory was assured.

Dude, that's a travesty. (On a side note, did you know that travesty used to mean a stupid play with cross dressing? It comes from the same roots as transvestite.) Let me just say that as one who has enjoyed the fruits of your baking, the judges obviously did not have cultured enough pallets to appreciate your fine cuisine. They are blueberry muffin loving fools with plebian tongues, who cannot enjoy the bittersweet tang of a dark chocolate confection.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • After much trash talking, I entered dark chocolate cherry orange peel muffins into a bake-off at work today. Victory was assured.

Dude, that's a travesty. (On a side note, did you know that travesty used to mean a stupid play with cross dressing? It comes from the same roots as transvestite.) Let me just say that as one who has enjoyed the fruits of your baking, the judges obviously did not have cultured enough pallets to appreciate your fine cuisine. They are blueberry muffin loving fools with plebian tongues, who cannot enjoy the bittersweet tang of a dark chocolate confection.
    They may have been the best blueberry muffins ever made... I doubt it, though. (Regarding the side note, I learned that in Theatre History I, but I forgot it. I need to get out my old text books and brush up! ^_^)
  • They were pretty fucking good blueberry muffins.
  • I do like me some blueberry muffins. My mum would sometimes make them with fresh blueberries. They were not very sweet, but more bread-y and tangy.
  • edited February 2009
    Also, I'm pretty sure that my Aunt said the road test is not required to actually get a license in Texas, there's just a longer waiting period if you skip it and only take a written test.
    I remember when I studied for my license how nervous I was about a road test. When I found out I didn't have to I was surprised and dismayed. In my case, I'm fine. I can drive reasonably well, even though I make the occasional mistake. But most people on the road down here suck. I've seen people make illegal turns in front of the police, and wonder why they get pulled over. A state trooper once told me that when anyone proposes adding a road test, people complain and fight it.
    Post edited by Diagoras on