This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I like my apples hard and slightly sour.
    Granny Smith?

I loves me some Granny Smith apples.
  • People always try and tell me that Galas are the best, but I'm hip to their game. Fujis, Pink Ladies, and Honeycrisps are the greatest.
    Gala's have been my go to apple for a while. But supply doesn't seem to be keeping up with demand lately and galas of not good quality seem to be getting into my store. It was actually last gala apple, I bought a bunch of something else that I can't remember right now because the galas have been such crap.
    Granny Smith?

I loves me some Granny Smith apples.
    In my world, there are no other apples besides Granny Smith.
  • Honeycrisp are the apples of SCIENCE!
    They're what happen when people like me walk into an orchard and say "I can do better."
  • They're what happen when people like me walk into an orchard and say "I can do better."
    YES! Oh mans, I love science. So delicious...
    The honeycrisp looks more like an apple of, "oops, now how exactly did we make this?"
  • The honeycrisp looks more like an apple of, "oops, now how exactly did we make this?"
    LMDC. Large Malus domesticus Collider. They're searching for the Malus Gastron, the particle responsible for apple deliciousness.

Fun and true fact, though: the Honeycrisp was slated for discard and destruction before some scientist just went "Holy shit, this red and gold motherfucker is DELICIOUS."
  • More so, think about how hungry the poor grad that decided to eat the genetically engineered apple was. :P
  • More so, think about how hungry the poor grad that decided to eat the genetically engineered apple was. :P
    Yeah, but he probably wasn't hungry for long after he got attribution as part of the Honeycrisp team.
  • edited April 2010
    I was searching for average demographics for Americans based on age, gender, etc on Google for my Sociology paper. When I began to type the word "average" into the search bar, the first suggested search should not have surprised me one bit.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I was searching for average demographics for Americans based on age, gender, etc on Google for my Sociology paper. When I began to type the word "average" into the search bar, the first suggested search should not have surprised me one bit.
    Looks more like a Thing of the Day to me.
  • edited April 2010
    I was searching for average demographics for Americans based on age, gender, etc on Google for my Sociology paper. When I began to type the word "average" into the search bar, the first suggested search should not have surprised me one bit.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Mumbai really wasn't worth it. I'm sure there are pleasant and interesting things to do in the city, but I failed to find any. I'd definitely going to return to India for a few weeks of holiday some time, but I'm going to stick to the country and much smaller cities.
  • edited April 2010
    YYYYEEEAAAAHHHH!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited April 2010
    In a spectacularly entertaining fail, Fox has pulled footage of an 'interview' Palin did with LL Cool J for her new show on Fox. Now, aside from the hilarious fact that essentially Fox bought itself a candidate and then put her on the air proving without ANY doubt they are the tea-party's channel, the reason they pulled the interview was the fact that SHE NEVER DID IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Fox was cobbling together an interview from TWO YEARS ago with him, and going to make it look like Palin was doing the interview.

Klassy, Fox. Klassy.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited April 2010
    Adam, you should really try to avoid anything remotely related to FOX, it just seems to infuriate you. :P

EDIT: Also, there's a chance you were punked, it is April fools after all.
  • My laryngitis was doing a lot better yesterday, but because I actually started talking again, it made it worse. My sore throat is back.

I was coughing all night long, which kept me up. Coughing makes it worse and I can't stop coughing. It almost reminds me of bronchitis. So now I have to constantly have cough drops and lozenges in my mouth or drink liquids and definitely no talking until it's fully healed. :(
  • Adam, you should really try to avoid anything remotely related to FOX, it just seems to infuriate you. :P

EDIT: Also, there's a chance you were punked, it is April fools after all.
    It's being reported on numerous websites and on MSNBC this morning, and now Toby Keith has also basically said the same thing as LL. Now, if it is some sort of prank propagated by Fox, it's a big one and will only make them look worse in the end. Hell, if it IS a fake story, the sheer fact that every major media outlet believes it speaks worlds about Fox.
  • I wish this was an april fools joke. The shocks in my car are shot to hell. The mechanic says it's unsafe to drive. They are struts, not your standard springs or hydraulics.

$800.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited April 2010
    For those who don't know, a MacPherson "strut" is a combination shock absorber, suspension mounting, and spring perch.

How many need replacement? All of them? Does that price include labor? Also, why has this information been brought to your attention? State inspection?
  • EDIT: Also, there's a chance you were punked, it is April fools after all.
    This was in the news yesterday, so I don't think so.
  • edited April 2010
    For those who don't know, a MacPherson "strut" is a combination shock absorber, suspension mounting, and spring perch.

How many need replacement? All of them? Does that price include labor? Also, why has this information been brought to your attention? State inspection?
    Well, My car had to go to the shop because I hit a deep pothole and one of my front tires came off the rim. We took it there with a donut and left it to be fixed. Today my parents went to go pick t up and drop off the minivan for an oil change. I don't know how many of the struts need to be replaced, but the price includes labor. My dad haggled the price down to $700.

It's a 1992 Civic LX, so it's an old car that has never had any major work on it. Even though the car is only worth $1000 (KBB), and I got it for free, I don't have a job so I can't just sell it and lease a newer car.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm leery of mechanics that tell me things they weren't asked to investigate or fix. >_>
  • I'm leery of mechanics that tell me things they weren't asked to investigate or fix. >_>
    Well, the news of the suspension being broken isn't something I was completely surprised by. That car always drove like a go-kart in terms of ride hight and drive quality, despite it being the luxury version. And even though thats part of why I liked driving it so much (the feel of connection to the road), I knew something had to be wrong with it because even my Oldsmobile, which was an older and heavier car, rode better.
  • A hard ride is not indicative of bad shocks. When shocks go bad they lose their ability to dampen body movement. It'll feel floaty and rock back and forth on the highway, much like an old Olds actually. I'm even more skeptical of your "bad" shocks now. <_<
  • I'm also skeptical. This just doesn't smell right. If a spring was broken, you'd notice by a simple visual inspection. If it broke while you were driving it, you'd sure as shit notice - a quarter inch steel spring snapping under pressure does not go quietly. If it's a strut, again, a simple visual inspection would reveal that you had hydraulic fluid everywhere, if it blew while you were driving it, and with Maccy struts, you'd notice the immediate difference in ride quality.

Maccy struts tend to transmit more feeling than other types of steering, so your "Go cart ride" is not indicative of much - and, if the shocks had gone, you'd get a floaty, bouncy feeling, with rocking back and forth. As I said before, if your springs were gone, you'd see a definite difference in height, and if it happened while you were driving, you'd hear it and feel it.

Also, how many are gone? If one is gone, you'd notice the uneven ride and road feel. Two going at once, especially on opposite sides, it rare, but not unheard of, certainly slightly suspicious. Three or four shocks at once, and you haven't been doing sweet jumps in your car? Getdafuckouttahere.
  • edited April 2010
    Also, how many are gone? If one is gone, you'd notice the uneven ride and road feel. Two going at once, especially on opposite sides, it rare, but not unheard of, certainly slightly suspicious. Three or four shocks at once, and you haven't been doing sweet jumps in your car? Getdafuckouttahere.
    I once wasted all 4 shocks on my car, but I drive quite vigorously. Or at least I used to.
  • I once wasted all 4 shocks on my car, but I drive quite vigorously. Or at least I used to.
    I know how Sonic drives, or at least, as he's related it to me in detail - it's unlikely he'd have done anything to blow four struts at once, and then managed to not notice.