This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I banged another 5 minutes, as hard as is reasonable without hurting my hand and called 911. Unfortunately they likely aren't going to be able to do something about it. Unless there's evidence of a break in or something they can't enter the apartment. :(
    May I gently suggest creating some evidence? Such that you heard some suspicious noises yesterday, or something?

Edit -
    Pretty sure they can enter just fine if someone is hurt.
    Also this. Seriously, they should be able to do that, and if not, WTF, Government?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2010
    Do you have their phone number or the number of one of their relatives? We can't yet rule out them going out without turning the music off.

Also, looking through the windows isn't illegal. Even if you look through the ground floor windows, you stand some chance of confirming an emergency.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Do it George! Be a Hero! Save a Life! Check the windows and Call the Po-Po's!
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, it's all been done. They can't enter, it's annoying, but not suspicious. Gotta call the management office at 10 am and see if they'll do anything about it. So much for sleep.

EDIT: And the officers, who took this seriously and did check everything out, said this may just be an alarm that got left on by accident.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, it's all been done. They can't enter, it's annoying, but not suspicious. Gotta call the management office at 10 am and see if they'll do anything about it. So much for sleep.
    Solution - break window with a rock. Tell them you thought you saw that the window was broken, and someone might have broken in. The guy is dead, then nobody will make much of an issue about a broken window. Guy's okay, then hey, what can you do, local vandals throwing stones, you know? Problem solvered.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm not breaking any windows. >_>
  • Almost all of the cases like this are someone being a stupid asshole and leaving an alarm on while they are gone. Calling maintenance to come deal with the issue is pretty much your only recourse. (...unless you are lucky enough to have neighbors who leave their door unlocked when they are gone. Then, you may or may not be able to sneak into the apartment and turn off the horrible noise. That's totally not legal, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Especially when the alarm clock is right next to the wall on the other side of your bed's headboard and the alarm has been going off for 8 hours.)
  • It's been playing the same song on repeat for over 12 hours.
  • People leave for more than 12 hours pretty often. Maybe they took a 3-day weekend.

OR maybe your upstairs neighbors are dead because they tried to do something horribly freaky and ended up setting themselves on fire while they were both tied up, and none of them could reach the fire extinguisher before they passed out from the pain. Luckily, they had flame-retardant carpet, so the fire didn't spread and eventually burned itself out. Too bad they disabled the smoke detector in violation of state and possibly federal law, because it was always going off when they used the oven. That song you are hearing is your neighbors' music of choice for getting their kink on, but now they'll NEVER BE ABLE TO HEAR IT AGAIN. So sad.
  • People leave for more than 12 hours pretty often. Maybe they took a 3-day weekend.

OR maybe your upstairs neighbors are dead because they tried to do something horribly freaky and ended up setting themselves on fire while they were both tied up, and none of them could reach the fire extinguisher before they passed out from the pain. Luckily, they had flame-retardant carpet, so the fire didn't spread and eventually burned itself out. Too bad they disabled the smoke detector in violation of state and possibly federal law, because it was always going off when they used the oven. That song you are hearing is your neighbors' music of choice for getting their kink on, but now they'll NEVER BE ABLE TO HEAR IT AGAIN. So sad.
    But still, What a way to go.
  • edited April 2010
    Wait around a week to get a PSU shipped to me for a job only to find out it's faulty.
    Return will probably take another week, turning an open and shut job into a two week ordeal.
  • The moral of the story is that unless you can see something visibly wrong, don't call the police cause they can't do anything until it smells of decaying person.
  • The moral of the story is that unless you can see something visibly wrong, don't call the police cause they can't do anything until it smells of decaying person.
    Or call anyway, and then you'll be at the center of the local news story about how an old lady died, but the police didn't do anything when you called them. ^_~
  • edited April 2010
    Or call anyway, and then you'll be at the center of the local news story about how an old lady died, but the police didn't do anything when you called them. ^_~
    That's not a place I want to be, plus the cops were very good about responding and treating this seriously. They stuck around for an hour as we tried to figure out if anyone was inside. Loud noise is just not suspicious enough to warrant a search.

Besides, I knew when I called them at 3 am that by this point if there was someone in there they were likely dead. While I noticed the music still playing at 5 pm, I'm pretty sure it's been playing since that morning.
    Yeah, that's sort of the rule. It sucks, but really, when you think about it, it's pretty unlikely that your neighbor died. It's far more likely that they drank a bunch of 120 and passed out with a song on repeat.
  • Fail of my day, up since 3 am for something I had absolutely no power to change. Should have just gone back to sleep and called the leasing office at 10 am. So tired.
  • Well, they have to have a search warrant or probable cause to enter. I mean, assuming there really is nothing wrong, would you WANT the cops to be able to enter any home at any time? Would you like your neighbors to be able to call the cops randomly and have them bust into your place? I think not. Now, if someone who regularly interacts with those neighbors reports them missing, then they'll have probable cause.
  • I know, and in hind site I should have slept and simply informed the leasing office in the morning. I'm not really sure what I even expected the cops to do now that I think about it. >_>
  • It was 3 AM; you probably didn't have all of your cylinders firing.
  • Just curious... what was this infamous forever playing song?

And by the way, I see cops and landladys open apartments all the time when I watch SVU. I guess fiction is fiction though. >_>
  • And by the way, I see cops and landladys open apartments all the time when I watch SVU. I guess fiction is fiction though. >_>
    Hahaha. I <3 you.
  • Just curious... what was this infamous forever playing song?
    I don't know, all I could hear in my apartment was the bass track. It's a sorta techno-rock-ish song with female vocals. My friend suggested I get the Shazam app and hold it up to the door to identify the song.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm sure this will help keep those kids from doing the nasty, I swear there are some stupid people in this world.
    Post edited by beefy on
  • Eddie Carroll, voice of Jiminy Cricket, is dead. Very sad.
  • edited April 2010
    Fail of my day: The dreams you have when you sleep too much due to depression. Only way to describe them is abstract.

That, and feeling so low I'm having trouble thinking straight.

All of a sudden, I miss everyone.
  • All of a sudden, I miss everyone.
    I see what you did there.
  • Reading 20th Century Boys at 7. Feel tired. Blink. It's 10p.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---
  • And by the way, I see cops and landladys open apartments all the time when I watch SVU. I guess fiction is fiction though. >_>
    Yeah, but they never show you everything in those shows. There are always cuts, and one of those cuts could be the place where the cops present the landlady with a search warrant. Plausible deniability FTW! Landlady probably wants to avoid having the door broken down.

Also, TV shows rarely get all the procedural stuff right, because if they did they would be horribly boring and no one would watch.
  • edited April 2010
    So apparently the leasing office called the cops and they went into the apartment to check it out after they couldn't get a hold of the tenant. Turns out no one was home, but they turned off the music and I slept for 12 hours last night. ^_^
  • I have a test on power and Taylor series Wednesday. Also, my wisdom teeth are cutting, and I am in a goodly amount of pain.