This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Knox,

I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, I'm beyond the age of 21 and really don't care because it doesn't impact me negatively. I actually like the idea, because it means there will be less chances of stupid people causing drunk driving accidents on their 21 run.

I felt the same way when they changed the underage licenses to being vertical.

/oldfart
  • Other option: grow an epic mustache. I could buy liquor when I was 17 with nary a batted eye. I'd even hand over my driver's license, which clearly stated that I was 17, but they wouldn't actually check, on account of the stache.
  • I opened the door to my room, the door bounced off foot, whacked my head, bounced back to my foot and hit my head again. Oww.
    edited April 2010
    Heck in most of Europe you can buy wine and beer at 16.
    Correct, strong liquor only from 18 years old though.
    I opened the door to my room, the door bounced off foot, whacked my head, bounced back to my foot and hit my head again. Oww.
    I cannot visualize this. Did your foot faze through the door only to prevent it from opening and bouncing the door back in your face?
    Post edited by ... on
  • I really love where I live, but if there's one thing about WA that I just can't stand is how crappy the alcohol laws are here. For the uneducated, the main laws are: 1) bars close at 2am, 2) hard liquor can only be sold in state-run liquor stores (only beer and wine can be sold at grocery stores), 3) you cannot take an open container out of a restaurant or bar, 4) any restaurant or bar that sells alcohol and wants to have space outside has to have a fence or some other barrier around that area. We also have one of the highest alcohol taxes in the country.

Anyway, so the legislature wants to pass a new bill that makes it so that only people will certain kinds of driver's licenses can purchase alcohol. Again, for the uneducated, in WA, when you get a driver's license and you're under the age of 21, the license is printed vertically on the card. Once you turn 21, any new license you get will be printed in the standard horizontal format. This was implemented a while ago so that people (mostly police officers and people who run bars) can quickly check if that person is under or over 21. So, essentially the new bill will make it so that only horizontal format licenses will be accepted for alcohol purchases.

The problem with this is that there are a lot of people who get their new licenses before their 21st birthday so that they don't have any days where they can't drive. And even if you wait until you are 21 and get the license then (like I did), it takes about a week for the new license to get in the mail. So people who are 21, but have the wrong format license, and those who are waiting for a new one, can't perform a federally mandated privilege.

Why you do this WA? With any luck, this will get struck down when they realize that there are dozens of other acceptable licenses that can be used that they have no control over. You know, like passports.
    Move to Utah and tell me Washington's laws are bad, all alcohol over 3.2% ABW has to be sold in a state liquor store, which aren't open on Sunday. Man up already, you don't have it that bad.
  • Sheesh, seems like everyone assumed I was making a huge deal out of this. I know it's not a BIG deal. I know there are other states with laws that are just as shitty. The point I was trying to make, and seem to have failed at, is that I don't see why they're even proposing it. It's not that important of an issue to warrant our legislature's time. I feel that they should be doing more important things, like, I don't know, fixing our $2.8 billion budget shortfall with a solution that will actually work in the long run instead of trying to patch it up with little taxes here and there.

Secondarily, I know it doesn't mean anything to me, I passed the 21 barrier a long while ago, but I do know that for those who haven't yet, it does mean a lot to them when their 21st birthday rolls around and they can't go to a bar with their friends to celebrate. Maybe we in this state take that for granted, but I'd still feel bad for them not having the same opportunity I had.
  • US liquor laws are woeful in their needless complexity and arbitrary capriciousness.
  • US liquor laws are woeful in their needless complexity and arbitrary capriciousness.
    Well 21 year olds need some way to make illicit money.
  • Sheesh, seems like everyone assumed I was making a huge deal out of this.
    You made it a huge enough deal to count it as a fail of your day, after which you talked for half a wall in detail about it.
    The point I was trying to make, and seem to have failed at, is that I don't see why they're even proposing it. It's not that important of an issue to warrant our legislature's time. I feel that they should be doing more important things, like, I don't know, fixing our $2.8 billion budget shortfall with a solution that will actually work in the long run instead of trying to patch it up with little taxes here and there.
    Pssssssst. They don't care that much about the budget shortage. Their only goals are to look busy and to prevent the people from starting a civil war.
  • Other option: grow an epic mustache. I could buy liquor when I was 17 with nary a batted eye. I'd even hand over my driver's license, which clearly stated that I was 17, but they wouldn't actually check, on account of the stache.
    Ditto that at 16, with a goatee.
  • Sheesh, seems like everyone assumed I was making a huge deal out of this.
    You made it a huge enough deal to count it as a fail ofyourday, after which you talked for half a wall in detail about it.
    This is true. Let this just be one more lesson that I really shouldn't post here when it's really late and I'm not thinking straight.
  • Just don't post here with a rant of any kind unless you're fully rant in kind.
  • In Georgia we can't buy alcohol at all from anywhere on Sundays. Its exactly like the Chick-fil-a phenomenon. I always crave Chick-fil-a when its Sunday, yet am terribly disappointed when I drive up to the window and nobody is there, and curse myself for forgetting. There has been many a time when I saw a particularly delicious looking pack of fruity girly wine coolers or a bottle of wine in a grocery store, brought it up to the register, and the attendant gives me a look that says I'm the dumbest person in the world and tells me I can't buy it. Why do they still display it on Sundays? Whyyyy? :(
  • I lost one of my earrings. It wasn't expensive but it's the silver hoops earrings I always wear. Bah.
  • I just ate a double down from KFC.
  • That should be in the Fail of Your Boo-Yah thread, followed by a Boo-Yah of "i'm still alive".
  • edited April 2010
    Could be worse. If it's your only meal of the day, you'll live.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    Was it...good? Or at least...edible?
  • My Virginia tax return is so complicated I'm gonna hafta actually read the instructions. I'm not doing this tonight.
  • Could be worse. If it's your only meal of the day, you'll live.
    from what I saw it can't be THAT bad for you, I mean it was only 560 calories, plus no "bread" and most people eat two pieces of fried chicken (and probably more) so the bacon and cheese probably don't get it up that high...
    It is because they vary so wildly from town-to-town and from State-to-State. That industry needs some emmer-effin' regulation or inter-State standards. Also, as someone that is legally over the drinking age, I should be able to buy alcohol of any variety at any given time.
    It is because they vary so wildly from town-to-town and from State-to-State. That industry needs some emmer-effin' regulation or inter-State standards. Also, as someone that is legally over the drinking age, I should be able to buy alcohol of any variety at any given time.
    Yeah, sort of like how I should be able to buy a gun or a drug of any variety at any time. Darn those regulations on the sale of firearms and prescription drugs...

The fact is that our governments regulate the sale of many things. There is no fundamental right to purchase alcohol free from regulation in our country. Blue laws can be challenged on an Establishment Clause basis, but that's a hard suit to win in Georgia.
    Was it...good? Or at least...edible?
    It's a Fail because it tasted like thick oil and grease. I ate the whole thing only because I kept getting pockets of bacon and cheese that were delicious. I think I'm going to go have another stroke now.
  • I think I'm going to go have another stroke now.
    I didn't think the sandwich was THAT good. Jaysus.
  • Stumbled upon this in Best Buy earlier today.

Hosted by imgur.com

Compare with

Hosted by imgur.com

-_-
    Err...that's intentional. Hayate the combat butler is a comedy Anime that often parodies other shows, along with various anime tropes, japanese and american pop culture, and so on.
    Err...that's intentional. Hayate the combat butler is a comedy Anime that often parodies other shows, along with various anime tropes, japanese and american pop culture, and so on.
    ...ah. Well...

LOOK AT THOSE INCONSISTENCIES. HER EYES AREN'T EVEN BLUE.

GAWD.
  • I can feeling creeping through my system. I'm coming down with the sickness. I could open up and let my hate flow into someone (because I've got a lot of it right now), but no. I'm going ignore it and pretend it's not even there just to show my body who's the boss. I will, however, wear a face mask to school tomorrow because I'm Not An Asshole Who Goes Around In Public While Sick Without Covering Their Mouth.
  • I've paid more taxes to the US government this year than Exxon Mobil.
  • I've paid more taxes to the US government this year than Exxon Mobil.
    Yea, welcome to all my tax paying years :-p That's been a problem for a long time.. Wonder if the corporations (I.E. Congress) will go with Pres. Obama's call to take profits of multinationals.