This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited April 2010
    I come to all you forumites in absolute humility and disappointment as this is very upsetting towards myself. As I mentioned in a thread consisting of me asking all of you for ideas (unsurprisingly nobody posted at all) for ideas of comedic scenes from various sketches and movies for an upcoming performance of the same. I eventually chose 4 such scenes, used the original scripts as sources and created my own adaptation of some scenes (with credit to the original writers). The four scenes were the following: The Jedi Architect conversation from Clerks, The Battle of Wits from The Princess Bride, The Blind Man scene from Young Frankenstein, and the "Blue Blanket" scene from the recent remake of The Producers. This is a big deal as this is the very first script of mine I finished (this was before I began working on Zombiewood).

Out of the four I wrote, 1 was chosen and that was the Clerks scene. I didn't come to practice for a little while as I had a bit of stomach bug and was out for a while. Today I came to practice and I was eager to see how the scene was going. This is where the fail occurred. They just did not get it, the entire thing was spectacularly miscast, and very important and vital things to the scene were changed.

The whole point of Clerks is lower middle-class, white, male convenience store clerks talking about movies and other miscellaneous things that guys would usually talk about. I didn't have much of a problem that girls were cast in the part of Dante and Randal (that's done all the time in theater), my problem lay in the fact that they changed the convenience store setting to a...clothing store. I worked really, really hard on this and to see it completely bastardized and ruined like this just hurts me. But I expressed no emotion that suggested this to any of the higher ups as that would only cause turmoil. The only people who know of my disappointment are one of the actors (the latter of which is playing the part of the roofer and loves Clerks just as much as I do) who is also disappointed at how the directors ruined the scene and the only other person I know of who is into movies just as much as I am. That's it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I worked really, really hard on this and to see it completely bastardized and ruined like this just hurts me. But I expressed no emotion that suggested this to any of the higher ups as that would only cause turmoil. The only people who know of my disappointment are one of the actors (the latter of which is playing the part of the roofer and loves Clerks just as much as I do) who is also disappointed at how the directors ruined the scene and the only other person I know of who is into movies just as much as I am. That's it.
    Patton Oswalt on notes and screenplays:

• I worked really, really hard on this and to see it completely bastardized and ruined like this just hurts me. But I expressed no emotion that suggested this to any of the higher ups as that would only cause turmoil. The only people who know of my disappointment are one of the actors (the latter of which is playing the part of the roofer and loves Clerks just as much as I do) who is also disappointed at how the directors ruined the scene and the only other person I know of who is into movies just as much as I am. That's it.
    Patton Oswalt on notes and screenplays:

I never said I would stop as a result ;)
  • If you think the important part of Clerks is the specifc setting, you're missing the point. It's more a vehicle for commentary on the world from the perspective of the mundane. It also revoleves a lot around making something of your drudge-filled life. Girls in a clothing store can do that just as readily. Why don't you consider the CONTENT and put your ego aside for a moment. Give it a shot. You may be surprised.
  • I recently ranted rather badly at my mother earlier this evening. She had asked me to help her with something, and I couldn't hear her. Then when I asked her what she had wanted, she said (rather rudely) "Never mind." I lost it. After I had calmed down an hour later, I went to apologize. Now she won't even speak to me. Lovely. Now I'm going to spend the entire weekend feeling guilty while she goes away until Monday.
  • edited April 2010
    [Clerks scene woes]
    If it makes you feel any better, half of the literary community thought that Nabokov had no idea about what he was talking about. That seemed related and consolatory in my head, but yeah that sucks dude, but keep at it!
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I recently ranted rather badly at my mother earlier this evening. She had asked me to help her with something, and I couldn't hear her. Then when I asked her what she had wanted, she said (rather rudely) "Never mind." I lost it. After I had calmed down an hour later, I went to apologize. Now she won't even speak to me. Lovely. Now I'm going to spend the entire weekend feeling guilty while she goes away until Monday.
    Don't feel guilty at all, it's her fault that she has such a bad attitude. She may be your mother and all, but there is a line between when guilt should be felt and when you shouldn't feel guilty.
  • Woke up and realized I'm still in Winnipeg.
  • edited April 2010
    Woke up and realized I'm still in Winnipeg.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • This place is actually where the Bavarian Illuminati decided to open up a porthole directly into the deepest pits of hell. That's why we have a giant penis bridge AND a crazy masonic legislature building(look up the book called the hermetic code about our wonderful government building). Last summer on the way to the beach with my cousin and some buddies we literally saw a homeless native doing crack out of a coke can on mainstreet in the middle of the day. If you want to harness the powers of endless hate live here for a while and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
  • This place is actually where the Bavarian Illuminati decided to open up a porthole directly into the deepest pits of hell.
    You have a porthole to London?
  • Theoretically they are right next to each other, simply manifesting themselves at different locations on the globe. This is the north american entrance though.
  • Theoretically they are right next to each other, simply manifesting themselves at different locations on the globe. This is the north american entrance though.
    Winnipeg Below must be terrifying.
  • Trust me it is. Many a lesser being has been driven utterly insane by it's mere presence.
  • Just had my second coffee-roaster-that-is-really-a-popcorn-popper give up the ghost. I'm gonna have to get a real coffee roast one of these days, but they're so crazy expensive.
  • A two pronged fail.

1) Carl Macek died. No matter what you think of Robotech, he played an integral part in the development of Western anime fandom.
    2) I was going to host a student from France. However, due to a cloud of volcanic ash, his flight got cancelled. Now his trip has been bumped back... to November.
  • edited April 2010
    2) I was going to host a student from France. However, due to a cloud of volcanic ash, his flight got cancelled. Now his trip has been bumped back... to November.
    No complaining. THE MAJESTY OF HUMAN FLIGHT.
    No, that really sucks.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Siiigh... I am totally embarrassed by my fail, but maybe someone can give me advice on this.

Today while doing some work, I did a simple Google search for how to do some random thing in Flash. I clicked on the first result, and immediately was bombarded by "OH NOES YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED!!" and a bunch of random shiznit like that. Well I knew right away I was probably screwed, but I immediately closed Firefox to try to avoid downloading anything. And immediately, I get the annoying popups saying my computer is infected, etc. Basically I somehow managed to download a crazy fake security scanner without doing anything. I have been spending hours doing research (on another computer, since I can't really do anything on the infected one) on how to get rid of it. I have tried so many things, and it keeps popping up. The biggest problem I'm having is that all of the sources have lists of files and stuff I need to delete, but I'm not finding most of them on my comp. That stupid "ave.exe" is hiding somewhere and I just can't find it....

And to add to the fail, Andrew just left for a week long trip, so I have no super amazing computer nerd to help me with this. :"(
  • This is what you got?
    Remember to boot in Safe Mode if you're trying to remove something, it helps a lot.

If you can't remove it manually, your options are to use an anti-malware tool of some kind to remove it, or reformat.
  • Get the name the virus is using to fake the anti-virus and type it into Google. I can also recommend Malware Bytes.
  • Get the name the virus is using to fake the anti-virus and type it into Google. I can also recommend Malware Bytes.
    I got one of those on Thursday. I downloaded MalwareBytes and got an Rkill.com file to obliterate the virus completely.
  • edited April 2010
    This place is actually where the Bavarian Illuminati decided to open up a porthole directly into the deepest pits of hell.
    You have a porthole to Detroit?
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited April 2010
    This place is actually where the Bavarian Illuminati decided to open up a porthole directly into the deepest pits of hell.
    You have a porthole to London?
    Yeah, I can't stand London, Ontario, Canada.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Yeah, I can't stand London, Ontario, Canada.
    Actually, one of the interesting criteria for a Global City has to do with the common knowledge of the city name independent of the country, state, other unit, or similarly-named cities elsewhere. London and New York are the only "top tier" global cities recognized in the world. Part of that is that "London" means "the city of London in the UK" to most everyone in the world, and "New York" refers, for the majority of people in the world, to the city, and not to the state.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I can't stand London, Ontario, Canada.
    Actually, one of the interesting criteria for a Global City has to do with the common knowledge of the city name independent of the country, state, other unit, or similarly-named cities elsewhere. London and New York are the only "top tier" global cities recognized in the world. Part of that is that "London" means "the city of London in the UK" to most everyone in the world, and "New York" refers, for the majority of people in the world, to the city, and not to the state.
    Yes, London rocks. Despite the attacks she sustains.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • May have finally gotten feed up with my SAAB and decided to buy a Subaru.
  • May have finally gotten feed up with my SAAB and decided to buy a Subaru.
    You'll be painted as a liberal just so you know...
  • You'll be painted as a liberal just so you know...
    That's not a change from my current car really.
  • It's been more than 10 days since USPS received my RAM. They still haven't updated their shipping info; for all I know, it's lost, and these other components are just gathering dust. Time to call Newegg.
  • The neocons are getting another tv network. I say another because of the obvious Faux News.