This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• There are so many good IT positions in NYC. Why do I live in Rochester? (SO FULL OF HATE)
  • There are so many good IT positions in NYC. Why do I live in Rochester? (SO FULL OF HATE)
    If you don't plan on returning to RIT soon, why bother living in Rochester when you don't have to?
  • I think, in the long term (next year, if I don't go back to RIT), I'll start looking into moving to either the City or California. As it happens, I haven't found a single company in this city that I'd actually enjoy working for.
  • London and New York are the only "top tier" global cities recognized in the world.
    Wrong. You forgot Tokyo. London, New York and Tokyo are the three "world" cities.

fail of my day? I broke out of my yearish free of not posting (yet lurking numerous times daily), to correct Rym. Woe is me.
  • Wiki article on Global Cities
    According to that, the top tier covers only London and New York.
  • edited April 2010
    "...is thought to have been first coined by the sociologist Saskia Sassen in reference to her 1991 work, "The Global City: New York, London, Tokyo"
    And on a more academic basis, I have yet to meet a Geographer in the Department at school who does not contend that there are three "global/world/power cities". Nor a textbook I have studied off of.

Reference: World leading professors as well as "Human Geography, Norton, 5th edition; Human Geography: Landscapes of Human Activity, Fellmann, 2nd edition".
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • edited April 2010
    Saskia's work is from 1991, which is seriously out of date. Your textbook is from 2004, which is still enough time for a significant change in global city status to occur.

Three different studies in the Wikipedia article put Paris above Tokyo, so if Tokyo is "top tier" then Paris would have to be as well.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • RymRym
    edited April 2010
    I have yet to meet a Geographer in the Department at school who does not contend that there are three "global/world/power cities".
    I met one recently. She's finishing up her doctorate in urban studies currently, and (I was surprised to learn) worked personally under Sassen.

New York and London are the only top tier "Alpha Global Cities." There are distinctions for each level. You're probably thinking of Sassen's book from the early '90s that happens to include all three in the title.

Tokyo is considered an Alpha global city according to the Globalization and World Cities Study Group and Network, but it's in the second tier, along with six other cities. But it lacks some of the elements that give a distinction to London and New York alone. Three other lists, also created by prestigious institutions, clearly rank New York and London at the top. One of these was the Institute for Urban Strategies at The Mori Memorial Foundation in Tokyo, which ranked its own city of Tokyo fourth (under New York, London, and Paris).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'm amused that under the category "Gross Metropolitan Product at total PPPs" Philadelphia is 9th in the world (and listed as a Gamma City :-p at least it's listed as a city on the chart :-p)
  • I met one recently. She's finishing up her doctorate in urban studies currently, and (I was surprised to learn) worked personally under Sassen.
    Brilliant. I am both surprised and pleased. This is one of the minor things that makes me continue to realize the world is a constantly changing place. Thanks for sharing that :)
  • edited April 2010
    Just got my copy of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (the old 1-volume edition, which is available cheap used now that the new edition is out):

...and tore the back cover in half opening the package.

Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Well that sucks. Regardless, enjoy your D.U.C.K. hunting.
  • ...and tore the back cover in half opening the package.
    aawwwww man!
  • A proprietary layout motherboard in an Dell going faulty when it's just out of warranty.
    Obscure, non-standard parts, why must you torment me so?!
  • Hilter-meme gets taken off Youtube
    And if I remember right, I think that I once read that the director of the movie knows and respects the parodies.
  • While dressing our son for nitey nite we noticed this slightly corny slogan and just had to check the washing label:
    Made for children, by children.
  • edited April 2010
    Ate sprouts last night on a JJ's sandwich.

Pete might be is most likely right.

Fuck you, Jimmy Johns.
    Blargle.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2010
    Ate sprouts last night on a JJ's sandwich.
    They never listen.

EDIT: But seriously, if symptoms don't disappear relatively soon, get your ass to Mars the hospital.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • EDIT: But seriously, if symptoms don't disappear relatively soon, get your ass toMarsthe hospital.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with all the symptoms of bacterial gastroenteritis, and I'm keeping a careful watch on my system status. I'm okay, just nauseous and dizzy, and the latter is probably due to dehydration. It's just a bitch to study under these conditions; I'll probably call it a night early and hope for the best.
  • So a girl backed into my car while it was parked at work on Monday night. Insurance is all sorted out; she accepted full liability, it's being fixed and I'm not paying for it, and so on. That part is taken care of.

The fail is that I have a Chevy HHR as a rental vehicle. While it's not a bad car for its class, it's so dramatically different from the Honda Fit that I can't stand it. The thing handles like a brick (comparatively) and the visibility is terrible. Also, it has no USB port, so I can't easily play my iPod in it. Ugh.
  • Chevy HHR
    BWHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Chevy HHR
    BWHAHAHAHAHA!
    I just looked up the pictures of that thing. What a monstrosity.
  • I just looked up the pictures of that thing. What a monstrosity.

And just for shits-and-giggles:
    Take an ugly car, and add wood paneling. The awesome doors can't even make up for that.
  • I just looked up the pictures of that thing. What a monstrosity.
    I actually don't mind the styling so much. The front end is kind of nifty. The headroom, however, is terrible, and the windshield feels constricted. It actually feels like I'm looking down a tunnel. That's bad. The driver's side post takes up a significant portion of my field of view.

Also, while it feels nimble for a crossover, it still feels like a brick overall. It's just not nimble enough on the road for my liking.
  • the windshield feels constricted. It actually feels like I'm looking down a tunnel
    That always happens when I get a rental car. I purposely chose a car with a giant windshield because I like to be able to see as much as possible, and the post in my car is in a spot that I barely notice it. In the rental cars I've been given (some worse than others), it always feels like the windshield has been squished and someone is holding up blinders where the post is.
  • edited April 2010
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Fucking fuck shit motherfuck.
    ...What bothers me is that they sent her to a Christian facility, even though I'm a Christian. I think you need to teach this woman not to be obsessive before you give her something new to obsess about. And I don't think she should even get parole. If your child is 16-months old...Maybe they CAN'T say amen...So screwed up.
  • The fail is that I have a Chevy HHR as a rental vehicle. While it's not a bad car for its class, it's so dramatically different from the Honda Fit that I can't stand it. The thing handles like a brick (comparatively) and the visibility is terrible. Also, it has no USB port, so I can't easily play my iPod in it. Ugh.
    So I just researched the HHR a bit more. I knew something felt amiss when I was driving it. Apparently, despite the fact that the HHR is larger than the Fit (taller, wider, and longer), the Fit has more interior room. They even have equal cargo capacities.

I can't wait to get my goddamn car back.