This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Think it as Friday's off for summer. It's actually pretty bitchin in many regards.
    Not really. It's a 20% pay cut. I was doing alright before, but I'd actually like to get ahead. Plus, this impacts summer travel plans. It's also the byproduct of egregious bullshit from all ends of government and unions.
    I would kill for that privilege right now.
    No, you really wouldn't. See, we're furloughed because we're non-essential services. My job is unimportant, apparently.

It's OK. I mean, it's not like we really need to figure out what's making shredded Romaine lettuce kill people. Apparently, issuing speeding tickets is more important.
  • Yeah... I rather keep 20% of my salary then get an forced day off. That day will most likely never be a Friday or Monday. I'll be looking for another and/or second job if this actually pushes though. I still have my doughs about this happening.

I could deal with them withholding pay for X hours a pay period until the budget is fixed, but this is bull shit.
  • That day will most likely never be a Friday or Monday.
    Well, all of mine will be Mondays. The thing is, we actually do stuff then. I will have a large volume of work that will not get done, and the health and safety of New York will be adversely affected.
  • I will have a large volume of work that will not get done, and the health and safety of New York will be adversely affected.
    This is what happens when you won't raise taxes and instead cut taxes and keep spending... sigh.
  • I really think this is all a political Carrot-N-Stick routine to get the unions to hand over their contracted raises. 'Either loose 4% or I'll take 20%, it's your choice.' I don't think Patterson has the clout to pull this off. He's swinging too wild with this one to connect.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm currently spending most of my time troubleshooting the tools that are supposed to make my life easier. I'm so fucking pissed right now.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I don't think Patterson has the clout to pull this off. He's swinging too wild with this one to connect.
    Well, he has nothing to lose right now. He's not going for re-election, and he wouldn't win anyhow. The state is going to be without liquid assets by the end of May, so he has to do something. It's a desperate move, but I think he's desperate enough to do it.

The furlough is definitely a ploy to get the union to break and, quite frankly, I think they should. The union's counter-plan to close the budget gap is very short-sighted and won't fix the problem in the long run. Sure, losing a 3% raise sucks - I could use that extra $2000 a year - but it doesn't really screw you that much in the long run, and the money is more important now.
  • Well, he has nothing to lose right now. He's not going for re-election, and he wouldn't win anyhow. The state is going to be without liquid assets by the end of May, so he has to do something. It's a desperate move, but I think he's desperate enough to do it.

The furlough is definitely a ploy to get the union to break and, quite frankly, I think they should. The union's counter-plan to close the budget gap is very short-sighted and won't fix the problem in the long run. Sure, losing a 3% raise sucks - I could use that extra $2000 a year - but it doesn't really screw youthatmuch in the long run, and the money is more important now.
    Yea I kinda get annoyed when they won't give up a raise for a year or two while most private firms haven't given raises in about 2 years (or very marginal ones).
  • Yea I kinda get annoyed when they won't give up a raise for a year or two
    Well, it's not like the union is actually representing my interests. They said, "We'll fight to keep your raises, even if we have to make the budget late!" Literally. You know what? Fuck that. A timely and fiscally responsible budget is more important that giving people raises.

But I can't do that, because the union won't actually do what I want them to do. I love how that works.
  • Sure, losing a 3% raise sucks - I could use that extra $2000 a year - but it doesn't really screw youthatmuch in the long run, and the money is more important now.
    You've got that reversed. Losing 4% off every year of your career is much worse then loosing 20% for a few weeks. Sure it'll suck right now, but this won't matter in the long run. The budget will eventually get done. It's another 2 week till the furlough deadline. It's till possible that it'll be fixed by then, and this was just smoke to fill up the headlines till then.

I'm not ever sure of the legality of this. I'm pretty sure the unions are looking into a legal way of preventing this.
  • I'm not ever sure of the legality of this.
    It's not. It's a breach of contract. The unions will be able to sue to recoup the loss. It's a strongarm tactic.
    You've got that reversed.
    No I don't. Not taking a pay cut matters to me more now than the $5000 that my raise will be worth in 30 years. IIRC, it's only one year of raises being withheld. The long-term difference is almost negligible, and the extra amount of money is really not worth the immense inconvenience of losing something in the neighborhood of $800 per month.
  • Posted By: TheWhaleSharkPosted By: templar21You've got that reversed.No I don't. Not taking a pay cut matters to me more now than the $5000 that my raise will be worth in 30 years. IIRC, it's only one year of raises being withheld. The long-term difference is almost negligible, and the extra amount of money is really not worth the immense inconvenience of losing something in the neighborhood of $800 per month. If you made 48K a year, then a FULL year of furloughs (-20%) would cost you 9600$ (800$ a month). Getting a +3% raise gets you 1440$ a year. It would take you a little under 7 years to recoup the lose.

Anyways, I don't like the idea of state workers shouldering the burden of a quick fix for the state. If the states needs more money, then raise taxes; but raise them across the board. Singling out public service seems like a jerk move.

I wonder what would happen if the state adopted a corporate business plan. Wait,,, Fascism. That's what would happen, and I'm not knocking that idea right now.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2010
    . If the states needs more money, then raise taxes; but raise them across the board. Singling out public service seems like a jerk move.
    Americans expect a high level of public services. They also underestimate the cost of even basic services, and furthermore underestimate their personal reliance upon them. Having thus underestimated their use of public services, they wrongly feel self-reliant, decrying the actual high cost of services they themselves require as needless spending. They also decry any cut to these services or any tax increase to pay for these services.

This single discrepancy is probably the root cause of the majority of bullshit conservative teabaggery and greater social ills in our nation. People do not merely underestimate these things, they grossly underestimate them. They also overestimate self-determination and the relationship between will-to-succeed and actual success. They grievously misjudge the true relationship between work and reward, expecting far more reward than PHYSICS ITSELF could provide for the massively inflated value of the paltry work they put forth.

In short, people are loud, poor decision makers with little to offer and much to demand.

In shorter: democracy.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2010
    In short, people are loud, poor decision makers.
    "You know that third party, that ..ummmm what's it's name, Oh yea, Tea Party, I starting to like them" Andrew Johnson, spoken right after he stated he disliked all the us/them politics that prevented things getting done (Like Immigration reform).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It would take you a little under 7 years to recoup the lose.
    Yes, but in the long run, losing the 10k a year hurts a lot more for the same reason that losing 2k a year hurts. You lose the ability to make money using your money. If I lose 10k this year, I also lose 30 years of 3% compounding interest on that 10k.

Yes, if I give up 2k this year, I also lose the 30 years of compounding 3% interest on that 2k. While that hurts (and it does hurt a lot), it might be necessary in order to pass a fiscally responsible budget. Couple that with a reduction in the use of consultants, and you can save a lot of money. In the grand scheme of things, you will not really notice the loss of the $2k for one year, and everyone will benefit.

The furlough really isn't that bad, but it represents everything that is wrong with the government in New York. We're heinously inefficient, woefully corrupt, and it's quite obvious that everyone involved in the decision-making process has only their own interests in mind. Taxpayers suffer as a result.
    They grievously misjudge the true relationship between work and reward, expecting far more reward than PHYSICS ITSELF could provide for the massively inflated value of the paltry work they put forth.
    I feel like a lot of those people have never actually sat down to figure out the true cost of the services they receive. They've never tried to figure out how self-employment would work. I have. You know what? Shit's hard. We get a lot of services for our tax dollars.
  • NYS DOH has a Newborn Screening Program. We'll test a sample of DNA from any child born in the state, tell you if their is a problem, and how to fix it. That's pretty cool, and we do that free of charge.

Also, roads. Roads are good too. The rest is bunk.
  • It's called a used book store. Or Amazon. Not all that glitters is shiny and new.
    They're going to be more expensive! And I like new books and awesome bindings, so they'll be more expensive for me!

Curse my bibliophile vices!
  • I think you guys are forgetting one very important issues with regards to the losing money now or later debate: Some people can't afford to lose the money now. Investing doesn't even come into the picture for some. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, a 20% cut in each paycheck, even if it's only for one month, can make you miss deadlines for bills, incurring exorbitant late fees that you can't afford, and leading to more financial trouble. If you don't have room to put expenses on your credit, you can't pay for sudden extra things that come up (like if you blow out a tire). It's WAY more than just a temporary inconvenience for some people. Not getting a raise one year, while it sucks, isn't going to put you in that same position.
  • "I honestly don't believe we were from 22 species of aliens. We were just created from apes as a slave species, like neanderthals, eventually we evolved to where we are now." - Rebuttal to my discussion with a crazy person on why the Human race inbreeding with 22 species of alien would leave pretty clear signs in our DNA.
  • 22 species of alien
    Where the fuck do they get this crazy bullshit?
  • Where the fuck do they get this crazy bullshit?
    I think there's a mental defect of some sort that basically removes a person's ability to differentiate plausible information from fantasy. If you look closely at beliefs like this, they're usually a synthesis of plot threads from various popular movies or novels.
  • edited May 2010
    I think there's a mental defect of some sort that basically removes a person's ability to differentiate plausible information from fantasy. If you look closely at beliefs like this, they're usually a synthesis of plot threads from various popular movies or novels.
    I stop paying attention to crazy theories and they start producing "evidence" like the "Baghdad battery" or the Egyptian light-bulb...Look that stuff up it's well... full of disinformation...(like in the battery's case they keep drawing it with a wire going through the top which it did not have, rendering it useless as a battery)...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2010
    If you look closely at beliefs like this, they're usually a synthesis of plot threads from various popular movies or novels.
    Yeah, I've noticed that. That Law of One business uses the colors of the rainbow to represent various types of energy rays. It's so transparent to me that it actually hurts, but apparently not everyone sees that (or they choose not to see it).

I think a lot of people like the idea that they've discovered the truth behind the "veil;" it's their way to feel smarter than everyone else.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

• I think a lot of people like the idea that they've discovered the truth behind the "veil;" it's their way to feel smarter than everyone else.
    Pretty much this, you especially see this in late high school and early college. People will get the idea that they have stumbled upon something that no one or a select group know about.. (Especially their parents, it's kind of a rebellion of sorts) I'm hoping that's what is going on with this kid... but damn he's totally out there (I should post more of the conversations they are pretty entertaining).
  • Got my 6 month car insurance bill today. I hate this bill, it always seems to creep up and sucker punch me. :(
  • Got my 6 month car insurance bill today. I hate this bill, it always seems to creep up and sucker punch me. :(
    Yea I get mine every 3 months and I'm always wondering did I pay that bill 3 months ago?
  • I just got them to divide mine into monthly installments. <3 USAA.
  • I could do that, but it would cost me extra money. It's ok, I've been really tweaking my online banking lately to really lay out and manage my finances. I've adjusted my automatic savings to squirrel away the monthly amount of my insurance. Not only will I be ready from hence forth, but I'll be getting interest on that money too.
  • I bricked another external hard drive. This is really getting old.
  • Google changed their home page! AHHHH! My mind!