This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Shit start to the day. I just can't make my parents understand that eating dinner at 9:30 almost every night means I can't sleep until early into the morning and that I, unlike my dad, like to wake up before noon.

Some of us at least want to try getting a job *grumble, grumble*.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2010
    So, I decided to dust my computer to see if it would run faster, and it was a much needed dusting. However, after dusting it, my PC started to go in steps of not working.

1. First, it got a blue screen of death before the desktop appeared, then it repeated.
    2. After I decided to look inside, see if something was knocked loose amongst the SATA or Motex cables, but everything looked the same and there were no sockets to plug things into.
    3. Then I hooked it up, tried plugging it in again. Then this time, it got to the desktop after waiting for a long time...but no icons.
    4. So after 10 minutes of a blank desktop, I turned the PC off. (Dumb decision) I started it up again.
    5. This time, and it's still going on, my PC is on the CHKDSK screen, looking through the files. And it's been this screen for about 15 minutes...

CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)
    File record segment 57512 is unreadable...
    File record segment 57513 is unreadable...

This sucks. I know it's a simple hardware problem, but I have no idea what the hell to do. I feel like a computer fix-it place would get it instantly, but they will charge me like nuts. I feel like I knocked something loose or hit something while dusting, but this is just a royal fucking pain.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I got WoW phishing e-mail even though I don't play WoW.
  • I got WoW phishing e-mail even though I don't play WoW.
    Yay! WoW has graduated into legit spam along with the classic Nigerian Scams!
  • So, I decided to dust my computer to see if it would run faster, and it was a much needed dusting. However, after dusting it, my PC started to go in steps of not working.

1. First, it got a blue screen of death before the desktop appeared, then it repeated.
    2. After I decided to look inside, see if something was knocked loose amongst the SATA or Motex cables, but everything looked the same and there were no sockets to plug things into.
    3. Then I hooked it up, tried plugging it in again. Then this time, it got to the desktop after waiting for a long time...but no icons.
    4. So after 10 minutes of a blank desktop, I turned the PC off. (Dumb decision) I started it up again.
    5. This time, and it's still going on, my PC is on the CHKDSK screen, looking through the files. And it's been this screen for about 15 minutes...

CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)
    File record segment 57512 is unreadable...
    File record segment 57513 is unreadable...

This sucks. I know it's a simple hardware problem, but I have no idea what the hell to do. I feel like a computer fix-it place would get it instantly, but they will charge me like nuts. I feel like I knocked something loose or hit something while dusting, but this is just a royal fucking pain.
    Ubuntu + usb drive to backup your data, then spinrite to recover lost data.
  • edited August 2010
    I got WoW phishing e-mail even though I don't play WoW.
    Yay! WoW has graduated into legit spam along with the classic Nigerian Scams!
    I've got you one better on that front - I got a Warhammer Online phishing email the other day that was in French. I live in Illinois and I don't play Warhammer anymore, so I got a good laugh out of that one.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Our camera inexplicably failed to upload nearly every single photo we took during mine and Natalie's 6th anniversary trip. Assuming it had done the job, I idiotically deleted everything off the camera. I'm really pretty upset about this, I had really wanted photos to remember that time and my own negligence is why they're gone now. I hardly ever have pictures of anything I really want to remember cuz I'm always forgetting to take them, and this time I had made a point to. Natalie is pissed at me too. Fucking lousy morning.
  • I've been sitting in McDonalds for too long, using the open wifi, and the smell is starting to make me feel a bit ill.
  • edited August 2010
    @LolTs: You can get tools that will recover that kind of thing. Google "Photo recovery" or similar and try not to use the card until you retrieve the pictures.
  • Thanks Omnutia, but I already used the card once to take 2 more pictures, not realizing what I'd done earlier. I've tried one program that couldn't find them, and I'm trying Recuva now and it's not really pulling through. I don't think I'm gonna get my photos back. If you know the best (free) program for recovery, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I think I'm just gonna have to deal. :(

Thanks a lot for the help though, I really appreciate it.
  • Here's a poll from Lifehacker. PhotoRec seems to be popular. My sister used to to recover some photos when she was out traveling a while ago.
  • ;o; I got them back! Thank you Omnutia, you are our photo hero!
  • edited August 2010
    Shashin Shunketsu Omi shuppatsu! [Photo Hero Omi goooo!]

It's good to feel helpful.
    YES! AWW YEAH!

Shashin Senshi Omnu Faaitooooo!

(Picture Warrior Omnu Fight!)
    YES! AWW YEAH!
    Shashin Senshi Omnu Faaitooooo!
    It must have been a long day, because I read that as: Sashin Senshi Omnu Falatioooo, which I'm sure means something hilariously different.
  • edited August 2010
    Shashin Shunketsu Omi shuppatsu! [Photo Hero Omnu goooo!]
    This is a manga I would definitely read.
    Sashin Senshi Omnu Falatioooo, which I'm sure means something hilariously different.
    I would probably read this also, to be honest, but for different reasons.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2010
    Shashin Shunketsu Omi shuppatsu! [Photo Hero Omnu goooo!]
    This is a manga I would definitely read.
    My continuing misreading makes this even funnier.

EDIT:Simulpost FAIL.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • EDIT:Simulpost FAIL.
    Bollocks.
  • edited August 2010
    Left Ventrical Warrior Omnu Oral Sex..

What did I do to deserve this.

• What did I do to deserve this.
    EVERYTHING.
  • Wasn't paying attention to exactly what I'd SSH'd to and accidentally shutdown the whole server rather the one zone I meant to.
  • Toilet overflowed and leaked into the apartment below us. :(
  • School is going to last another semester because I did not take a test in the summer for student teaching in the spring.
  • Toilet overflowed and leaked into the apartment below us. :(
    Oh shit! That sucks bad. That happened to me once, too -- the lady from downstairs came upstairs to ask me if the toilet was overflowing, and I went and checked, and it wasn't. So I went back and told her no, and she was like "well, it's coming through the ceiling", and I said "I don't know what to tell you -- it's not overflowing, it's fine." So she went away, and then like 10 minutes later, it clicked that I forgot about the toilet in my roommate's room. Yep. Flooding all over the floor.
  • edited August 2010
    Fuck today.

It's as if everyone single one of my acquaintances and friends are threatening to break my peace of mind. This has really not been my year...
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited August 2010
    Toilet overflowed and leaked into the apartment below us. :(
    Oh shit! That sucks bad. That happened to me once, too -- the lady from downstairs came upstairs to ask me if the toilet was overflowing, and I went and checked, and it wasn't. So I went back and told her no, and she was like "well, it's coming through the ceiling", and I said "I don't know what to tell you -- it's not overflowing, it's fine." So she went away, and then like 10 minutes later, it clicked that I forgot about the toilet in my roommate's room. Yep. Flooding all over the floor.
    What sucks worse for us is that the people below us called the police on us for "loud stomping" awhile back. Now this... they probably hate us. It also apparently leaked another floor below in the deli on the first floor. >_>
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • edited August 2010
    I lost my iPod.

EDIT: I found my iPod, but in the process, got blood on the off white carpeting in my room (don't ask). I'm using a carpet cleaner and I hope it helps.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on