This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Hoping Nuke comes back online :/
  • Hoping Nuke comes back online :/
    Yeah, me too. Worried about the guy.
  • edited September 2010
    In terms of what happening at my apartment, they were huffing the propane fuel through these small, nearly a foot canisters with tubes like a hookah. Whenever it happens, there would be a peculiar sound, like a saw going off. But it caused them to scream and laugh and just shout random things. I just walked by them, they are calm and they are still drinking and smoking cigarettes. I'm doubtful that it'll kill the entire building, but I'm still concerned. Trash all over the living room, the two just talking on the couch. It feels like there's a film on the kitchen floor, there's a tiny bit of smell still lingering, and what really worries me is that the fire extinguisher got pulled out and used, despite the alarm not going off.

I don't have an RA, but I do have a company that looks over the complex. I may tell them, because this crap is just insane.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited September 2010
    In terms of what happening at my apartment, they were huffing the propane fuel through these small, nearly a foot canisters with tubes like a hookah. Whenever it happens, there would be a peculiar sound, like a saw going off. But it caused them to scream and laugh and just shout random things.
    Are you absolutely positive that this is propane? Nitrous is pretty common (whip-its), but propane is a big deal. If this is propane, these aren't just some stoners/trippers, these are full-blown druggies, and you should probably get the fuck out of dodge.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • In terms of what happening at my apartment, they were huffing the propane fuel through these small, nearly a foot canisters with tubes like a hookah
    I just walked by them, they are calm and they are still drinking and smoking cigarettes.
  • I tanked a math exam today. Fuck!
  • In terms of what happening at my apartment, they were huffing the propane fuel through these small, nearly a foot canisters with tubes like a hookah. Whenever it happens, there would be a peculiar sound, like a saw going off. But it caused them to scream and laugh and just shout random things.
    Are you absolutely positive that this is propane? Nitrous is pretty common (whip-its), but propane is a big deal. If this is propane, these aren't just some stoners/trippers, these are full-blown druggies, and you should probably get the fuck out of dodge.
    They said it was propane, and the two cylinders I saw came in plastic wrap called "PROPANE FUEL." And I don't think whip-its leave a sulfur smell. And I don't know if the smell disperses enough for them to start smoking, but they were just smoking and drinking beers constantly since 7 PM. It's weird, the two of them were really quite, but once they started having conversation, that's when they really got into talking about drugs.
  • edited September 2010
    And I don't think whip-its leave a sulfur smell.
    Interestingly, that's not actually straight up sulphur. LPG, Butane, Propane all have no natural smell, so they have Ethanethiol(Chemistry people - CH3CH2SH) added to them to make leaks easily detectable. It's the worst smell known to man, and is detectable by humans in concentrations of one part in 2.8 billion parts of air.

When I worked at BOC, Right out of high school, the boys got a can of the stuff and gave me a whiff of the tiniest amount of it straight - I was puking before I even finished that breath, holy fuck, that is some fucking horrible stuff. I think I have some in the back shed, either here or at the Mansfield house.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2010
    And now some clever-ass Russian cuntwaffle has managed to dump what I suspect is a CSS attack on twitter. Fucker.

However, It's perfectly fine if you use an app on a mobile device, I don't know about tweetdeck or the like.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2010
    And now some clever-ass Russian cuntwaffle has managed to dump a CSS attack on twitter. Fucker.
    Serves everyone right for using a closed system with single points of failure.

Unless they're just using twitter to distribute an attack. In which case, free and full disclosure! ^_^
    Post edited by Rym on
  • And now some clever-ass Russian cuntwaffle has managed to dump a CSS attack on twitter. Fucker.
    Serves everyone right for using a closed system with single points of failure.
    At least it works, unlike open source. :P
  • At least it works, unlike open source. :P
    Hence, there isn't a good solution. And as such, I don't rely on Twitter for shit. I expect it to disappear or fail, and have no personal dependencies on it or anything like it. OSS likely won't step up any time soon, especially if Twitter keeps working well enough.
  • Serves everyone right for using a closed system with single points of failure.
    I'm happy I generally use my phone for twitter - I saw it, said "That doesn't look right at all" and then a friend of mine tweeted when she recognised it as a CSS attack. I'm amused, but also avoiding the twitter web interface.
  • Yeah. Cus of the way it works, m.twitter is entirely uneffected. So if you don't use a client, use m.twitter.com instead.
  • It's all patched up now.
    The XSS attack should now be fully patched and no longer exploitable. Thanks, those reporting it.
  • I don't get it. Is the fail that they're using amp heads and boxes to hold that sign up?
  • edited September 2010
    I don't get it. Is the fail that they're using amp heads and boxes to hold that sign up?
    The fail is presumably that it's not actually a wall of Marshalls. Then again, no one uses true amp walls anymore. Everything is modeled.

Soundgarden didn't even have amps on stage when I saw them in August. Ultra-minimalist.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • OH, I didn't realize that was what the wall was supposed to be. Hahahaha.
  • @Sail -- I wasn't sure if you were sincere, or if it was really subtle sarcasm, so I decided to let someone else take the bullet if it were the latter. :)
  • Soundgarden didn't even have amps on stage when I saw them in August. Ultra-minimalist.
    If there's a PA, there's very little reason to have anything besides the amplifiers themselves. It's silly to carry stacks of speakers on the road if every venue you're playing has a house system and monitors.
    @Sail -- I wasn't sure if you were sincere, or if it was really subtle sarcasm, so I decided to let someone else take the bullet if it were the latter. :)
    Ahahaha, I now see how it could have been a joke. Just pretend I wasn't sincere so I can seem more clever than I actually am :)
  • edited September 2010
    If there's a PA, there's very little reason to have anything besides the amplifiers themselves. It's silly to carry stacks of speakers on the road if every venue you're playing has a house system and monitors.
    No doubt. It's just weird to see a band so unrelentingly heavy and grinding not have any amps visible, at least to my mind. I mean, even Geddy Lee at least puts up rotisseries or dryers and the like.
  • Technology has advanced, walls of amps are probably just not necessary.
  • edited September 2010
    Technology has advanced, walls of amps are probably just not necessary.
    They're definitely not. Amp modeling made them obsolete years ago, unless you're playing blues or something that really depends on a natural amp. I used to play jazz through a Fender Blues Junior (edit: it was some way old tube amp a friend had, any I can't remember the make) amp that had had tubes swapped in and out and had been patched up more than a few times, and I've never heard a modeled sound that quite matched it. Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys, for example, still plays using whole tube amps as "processors," even when there's a massive PA setup for him.
  • edited September 2010
    The "wall of amps" thing stems from a time when heavy music was more of an underground thing, like with metal and hardcore punk. Few of these bands ever got to play in legitimate venues, so if they wanted to play loud they would need to bring their own power. It's a mark of "authenticity". The wall of amps has become synonymous with metal.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited September 2010
    Fail: Invited to a screening of Blood Money, some bullshit documentary (probably in the vein of Expelled!) about how "abortion is an industry used to make money by killing babies! Yay pro-life!" Because pro-choice advocates love making money off of tragedies.

Double fail: Unfortunately, I know people actually attending that screening, so my manners won't allow me to click "Not Attending" and write on the wall, "Sorry, I would, but I have to call my broker about buying coat hanger futures."
  • edited September 2010
    Tangentially related (to the whole amp thing) Rush fact of the day: Because Geddy Lee plugs his bass into the venue's FOH console instead of his own amp, there's a lot of free space on his side of the stage, which he usually fills with something bizarre and fully functional like a rotisserie, laundry machine, vending machine, or, most recently, a sausage machine.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited September 2010
    Tangentially related (to the whole amp thing) Rush fact of the day: Because Geddy Leeplugs his bass into the venue's FOH consoleinstead of his own amp, there's a lot of free space on his side of the stage, which he usually fills with something bizarre and fully functional like a rotisserie, laundry machine, vending machine, or, most recently, a sausage machine.
    No doubt. It's just weird to see a band so unrelentingly heavy and grinding not have any amps visible, at least to my mind. I mean, even Geddy Lee at least puts up rotisseries or dryers and the like.
    ~_^

I actually saw the rotisseries on the S&A; tour. It was very awesome.