This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Entirely unreasonably, I've been annoyed at people calling the flood surges at toowoomba - a 2 Meter high wall of water - a tsunami.
    My room mate and I were having this exact conversation yesterday. If you put it in quotes it isn't a tsunami and shouldn't be called one.
  • edited January 2011
    My room mate and I were having this exact conversation yesterday. If you put it in quotes it isn't a tsunami and shouldn't be called one.
    If it's 90 miles inland, and has nothing to do with the sea it shouldn't be called one either, but that doesn't stop people.
    Man, the US is totally uncreative with placenames.
    That's hardly even on the best runner up list. Woolloomooloo is propably at the bottom of the best of, and even then only because it sounds like the noise you get when you shove a new boiled potato up a donkey's arse.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2011
    Not true. United States and Australia both use a lot of words from the native peoples that the colonists displaced. It's not our fault that the Aboriginal Australians have a language with a lot of interesting ooloo sounds, and thus win out on the "fun words" to say scale.
    I think my roommate lived in a place called Coogee, which meant rotten seaweed?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited January 2011
    toowoomba
    Pssh. Walla Walla. Seattle. =P (Both in Washington state. We have quite a few cities with Native American ties.)

VideoofHomerSimpson.vid
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • England doesn't need weird place names, Wales has got that covered.
  • I think my roommate lived in a place called Coogee, which meant rotten seaweed?
    Yep, that's what it means.
    United States and Australia both use a lot of words from the native peoples that the colonists displaced.
    Don't worry, our colonists were a bit mental, as you would have to be, so we end up with places like Amphitheatre, Bong Bong, Come by chance, Diapur, Foul Bay, Humpybong, Innaloo, Mount Buggery, Nowhere Else, Rooty hill, Vite Vite, Xantippe, Zeehan, Kangarooby, Dogswamp, Upperswan, Iron Knob, Yorkie's Knob, etc, etc.
  • I saw a few funny towns out west in the US. My favorite one in the desert was XYZ.
  • There's a Zzyzx, California.
    There is also a Brisbane, California, which I absolutely plan to go to, just to confuse people.
    There is also a Brisbane, California, which I absolutely plan to go to, just to confuse people.

If you moved there, you could say, "I'm from Brisbane by way of Brisbane."
  • My room mate failed to pay the cable bill and I now have no internet.
  • Don't forget the gems in NY like Cheektowaga, Scatachoke, Scajacwata, Lackawana, Coxsackie and Kosciusko.
  • edited January 2011
    The WSJ used a pretty misleading title of an article to try to say that more people having guns would have had some positive affect on what happened in Tuscon. Also, this mo(R)on said the same thing more blatantly. But I think his fail is more spectacular because of what this article points out. Specifically that the guy being touted as a gun-toting hero explained on Fox and Friends that he almost blew away an innocent person who had grabbed and was holding Loughner's gun.

In a separate sad fail: The founder of the Civility Project, geared towards cooling the rhetoric we see flying around, quit.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • In a separate sad fail: The founder of the Civility Project, geared towards cooling the rhetoric we see flying around,quit.
    Yea from all the Liber.... Wait a minute all the conservative hate mail to a CONSERVATIVE... Maybe you guys do have a problem...
  • Some people on the Internets are saying that they added a 13th sign to the zodiac, and most of them seem pissed off about it. That alone is a fail. But here is the fail of my fail of my day: It isn't even true! The Star-Tribune basically made the whole thing up. So, if anyone you know complains about this, punch them in the face for caring, and then punch them again for being wrong.
  • The N Key fell off my laptop. Shit. The Q key is one thing, but the N? This really blows. >_<
  • The girl who I spend all of last semester getting close to is now fucking my roommate out of nowhere. Fuck this shit
  • edited January 2011
    This is perhaps one of the most heinous rip-offs I've ever seen: Basically some publisher is holding a contest for stories up to 65,000 words. The prizes are said to be $5,000 and a publishing contract. Sounds all nice and clean, except that first-off there is a $150 entrance fee, by entering you transfer ownership of the submission to the publisher, you sign away all your rights to the work you created, you get absolutely no legal recourse, and there isn't even a guarantee that any prizes will be awarded at all in case there are "insufficient entries". How many entries are sufficient is of course never stated.

Sourced here and here. The 2nd link is especially interesting because the person behind this contest scam actually had the audacity to write the blogger, a literary agent herself, that she should have waited until the contest actually started before advising people not to enter it because "That's the fair thing to do".
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Sourcedhereandhere. The 2nd link is especially interesting because the person behind thiscontestscam actually had the audacity to write the blogger, a literary agent herself, that she should have waited until the contest actually started before advising people not to enter it because "That's the fair thing to do".
    "Hello, 4chan? I've got a new target for the Low Orbit Ion Cannon. What is it? Oh, you're gonna LOOOVE this..."
  • edited January 2011
    So I plug my old, ailing hard drive into my computer and put it in read-only mode then I want to go into my old user folder to copy my stuff out and windows is like "Can't let you do that Starfred." and I'm like "Why the hell not, it's not encrypted, just send me in as admin." so then it's like "Can't do that without write permissions." and then I go:
    In reverse order.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • In reverse order.
    Where the fuck did you get a fruit-bat?
  • I am overcome with chagrin upon discovering one of my favorite scifi heroines, Ripley, was originally written as a man. Perhaps Hollywood should stick to doing this as it seems to yeild better results. (As an aside, during Tron I amused myself by imagining Sam replaced by a woman, but with the same lines.)
  • I am overcome with chagrin
    Don't be chagrined! She ended up a woman (and a badass one, at that) and that's all that matters.
  • Don't be chagrined! She ended up a woman (and a badass one, at that) and that's all that matters.
    I hope you say the same thing when you find out a secret about your future wife.
  • The gender of my wife and the person who duct-tapes a flamer and a plasma rifle together to kill xenomorphs are of incredibly different levels of importance.
  • Don't be chagrined! She ended up a woman (and a badass one, at that) and that's all that matters.
    I know. I like the result. I think that if that's what it takes to make a solid female protagonist in an action film, we should do it more often.
  • I know. I like the result. I think that if that's what it takes to make a solid female protagonist in an action film, we should do it more often.
    Indeed. And please don't make them look drop dead gorgeous and all model-like. Normal and average looking would be nice.
  • edited January 2011
    It's like "Wow! When we treat female characters in movies the same way we treat male characters, the result is an interesting, strong, and fulfilling character! Who would have thought!"

If you don't believe that solid female characters are lacking in SciFi and action, rate things with the Bechdel Test. Most SciFi films fail.
    The Bechdel Test, sometimes called the Mo Movie Measure or Bechdel Rule is a simple test which names the following three criteria: (1) it has to have at least two women in it, who (2) who talk to each other, about (3) something besides a man.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's like "Wow! When we treat female characters in movies the same way we treat male characters, the result is an interesting, strong, and fulfilling character! Who would have thought!"

If you don't believe that solid female characters are lacking in SciFi and action, rate things with the Bechdel Test. Most SciFi films fail.
    The Bechdel Test, sometimes called the Mo Movie Measure or Bechdel Rule is a simple test which names the following three criteria: (1) it has to have at least two women in it, who (2) who talk to each other, about (3) something besides a man.
    Alien and Aliens pass the test, though Alien 3 doesn't, due to the fact Ripley is the only female on an all male prison planet.

Also, as the main alien antagonist in Aliens is the queen, you could say there it passes the test even more. Except for the slightly different way of stating point (3) as "talk about something other than a man, pregnancy and children". In that case, Ripley and the Queen have a strongly worded "talk" about their children (the eggs and Newt).

My point: just turning a male character into a female is a start, but once the character is established, motherhood and other female motivations make an already strong character even stronger. Which is why I think Leo's character in Inception was written as a female, as he had very female motivations.
  • edited January 2011
    In reverse order.
    Where the fuck did you get a fruit-bat?
    Bats4Gold.com, of course.

Also, you do realise that fire adds about +7 to attractiveness for most women.
    Post edited by Omnutia on