This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• The difference being that there is a finite amount of natural resources, while the 'resource' of internet connectivity is now, apparently, artificially finite.
    Internet bandwidth is a very finite thing.
  • The difference being that there is a finite amount of natural resources, while the 'resource' of internet connectivity is now, apparently, artificially finite.
    Internetbandwidthis a very finite thing.
    It's not a series of tubes.
  • edited January 2011
    The difference being that there is a finite amount of natural resources, while the 'resource' of internet connectivity is now, apparently, artificially finite.
    Internetbandwidthis a very finite thing.
    It's not a series of tubes.
    No, it's a series of wires and routers, that have finite capacity just like tubes. A router can only route so much traffic. It's not like the tubes get clogged or anything, that would just be ridiculous. They can get completely full though.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • They can get completely full though.
    And if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
  • edited January 2011
    Can you come to bat for him without risking your grade?
    I don't know. What is there to say, other than that I know he knows his stuff? I'm emailing him; gonna figure out if I would be allowed at his appeal on Wednesday and if it would mean anything.
    Well, one would think the simplest test of that is to get him to replicate the feat - type it from memory, Again, while being monitored to ensure he's not copying and pasting.
    It's probably too late for this now. Think about if you were accusing him. He's already had time to panic-memorize the code.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • They can get completely full though.
    And if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
    Yes, but in order for all those messages to be delivered in a timely fashion you need a minimum amount of internet bandwidth. That networking capacity costs money. So why shouldn't they charge people more who use excessive amounts of network capacity?
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, but in order for all those messages to be delivered in a timely fashion you need a minimum amount of internet bandwidth.
    You're telling me. An Internet was sent by one of my professors at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday. I got it yesterday.
    Everything I have just posted was near-verbatim from Ted Stevens.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • In Australia, TPG is offering proper unlimited plans at many exchanges.
    My parents and I are currently on a 200GB/month quota for $50/mo (slowed to 1Mbps once over quota), because that's already plenty, but if I were to go over cap I could simply switch (within a day) to the unlimited plan at $60/mo.
    My parents and I are currently on a 200GB/month quota for $50/mo (slowed to 1Mbps once over quota), because that's already plenty, but if I were to go over cap I could simply switch (within a day) to the unlimited plan at $60/mo.
    I must admit, I was tempted by TPG, but managed to finagle a Terabyte plan out of optus, with decent enough cable connection, and speeds which are generally better than TPG's, despite that I'm living literally a kilometer down from the exchange.
  • edited January 2011
    Customers using the fastest connections of five megabits per second
    This is NOTHING. What the hell, Canada?
    I get about 7.5 megabits maximum, other than random spikes. For example, my peak download rate on steam somehow got to 1.5 megabytes but my games are taking forever to download. My average real world download speed is often <400 kilobytes per second.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited January 2011
    12 is a pretty fat pipe. You can get 150 if you call Comcast and request residential at its highest speed, but from what I heard during the install of my line they really watch the caps (325GB) on those lines because people like to use those for their leech- and seedboxes.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    I must admit, I was tempted by TPG, but managed to finagle a Terabyte plan out of optus, with decent enough cable connection, and speeds which are generally better than TPG's, despite that I'm living literally a kilometer down from the exchange.
    Well, I get 9Mbps. That's kinda slow for ADSL2+ (most people get around 15Mbps), but that's because I'm not that close to the exchange.
  • Well, I get 9Mbps. That's kinda slow for ADSL2+ (most people get around 15Mbps), but that's because I'm not that close to the exchange.
    I'll generally get about 18Mbs, but I don't measure it very often, so I might be wrong about consistency.
  • I got so sick today that I had a friend drive me back home because I couldn't. I feel like a rotten sack.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, I get 9Mbps. That's kinda slow for ADSL2+ (most people get around 15Mbps), but that's because I'm not that close to the exchange.
    I'll generally get about 18Mbs, but I don't measure it very often, so I might be wrong about consistency.
    Actually, that was my sync speed; I get closer to 7.5Mbps from a local speed test. Anyway, 7.5Mbps is good enough; TPG's low prices make up for the rest. Pings are a little higher than I'd like, but overall I'm quite satisfied.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Metering isn't the problem. Gross overcharging that has almost always coincided with metering, and metering rarely takes into account actual network impact.
  • Metering isn't the problem. Gross overcharging that has almost always coincided with metering, and metering rarely takes into account actual network impact.
    This. Every metering option I've seen proposed for local cable companies has users paying $50 a month for very little bandwidth, and then exponentially more for any increment higher than 'barely functional'. If you game, download big files, stream video, stream music, or do anything else useful you end up paying like $130 a month with low caps and additional cost for going over. It reeks of money-making schemes and not of service. Additionally, there is never any justification for the prices other than 'We felt like it.'
  • Super sick today, I'm pretty sure it's food poisoning. I haven't puked in 6 or so years, and that was now broken. Sick in a whole lot of areas too, this really fucking sucks. /chugs Pepto.
    This. Every metering option I've seen proposed for local cable companies has users paying $50 a month for very little bandwidth, and then exponentially more for any increment higher than 'barely functional'. If you game, download big files, stream video, stream music, or do anything else useful you end up paying like $130 a month with low caps and additional cost for going over. It reeks of money-making schemes and not of service. Additionally, there is never any justification for the prices other than 'We felt like it.'
    I don't know how it is in the USA, but this kind of thing is the reason things are reasonable here in Australia these days. The U.S. needs to do the same thing.
  • I don't know how it is in the USA, butthiskind of thing is the reason things are reasonable here in Australia these days. The U.S. needs to do the same thing.
    Comcast gets away with that sort of shit here, it's rather disgusting.
  • edited February 2011
    The term I was looking for is local loop unbundling, as mentioned in that article. Apparently you do have some regulation for this in the U.S., but I guess it just sucks, or isn't enforced? (Fuck yeah ACCC!)

Once you have decent regulation to give other companies access to the last mile infrastructure, the whole pricing issue should be resolved by competition. If that can't happen, you're kinda fucked, because I don't see how reasonable pricing structures can arise without competition.
  • I've used well over the proposed monthly limit in 2 days.
  • This seems to be where we're talking about Canadian Internet.
  • Yeah, $2 per GB is rather excessive. It should be more like $0.20/GB.
  • Metered data is so fucking stupid. It's a shitty way to excuse skinny pipes and bad infrastructure.
  • edited February 2011
    No, there's nothing inherently wrong with metered data. It makes good sense.
    Massively overpriced metering is a different issue, but I wouldn't call it stupid; if they can get away with it it's a great idea for them. That's why competition is needed.
  • I was really hoping it would be icy today and I could swing a working from home excuse. No such luck.
  • I'm playing Half-Life 2 again for like the 7th time. It's still an absolutely awesome game. Except this time I'm playing it for the first time with german voice acting since I can't get the english one to work. And it's fucking atrocious. And it's not just me being used to the english voices. The german actors just simply suck.
  • I was really hoping it would be icy today and I could swing a working from home excuse. No such luck.
    I was really hoping we'd actually have class today because our M/W classes have gotten fucked this semester (1 class per week so far instead of 2). No such luck.