This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Downloaded the new Skype update. I don't know about any new functionality, but the new layout is terrible! I can't work out how to make the list of people online smaller, and so now I have to maximize the window AND scroll just to see who is online. I can't work out how to break out chats into new windows either, so can't split the chat and main skype windows across different monitors. Very annoying!
  • I can't work out how to break out chats into new windows either, so can't split the chat and main skype windows across different monitors. Very annoying!
    At the top right where there's normally three button (minimize etc.) there's a fourth button that looks like 2 window panes. Click that.
  • Yeah, because what I want is a list that always stays on top of every other window! Or not. What I want is less of the massive white spaces between the names and avatars. How can that not be an easy to find option?
  • My University's cops fail!
    That's 20 minutes down the road from me. How do these things still happen?
  • edited March 2011
    My University's cops fail!
    That's 20 minutes down the road from me. How do these things still happen?
    I do not know, but it makes me furious!
    I feel so bad for the guy, he just wanted to do his research at the University's library, and after a series of unfair events, two bad cops put him in jail. I hope they get suspended or thrown out of the force.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Downloaded the new Skype update.
    Yeah, I've been on that for a while. It's pretty shitty.
  • A Jehovah's Witness came into my office today and wanted me to hand out pamphlets. I told her that soliciting is not allowed in our office park, and then I called our landlord to drive them off (which he did). WTF? Who brings religious materials into secular businesses?
  • edited March 2011
    The Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. Cults don't have (sane) rules.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The term "cult" is rather an interesting one.
  • The Jehovah's Witnesses are a religion. Religions don't have (sane) rules.
    FFS, did I have to FTFY?
  • "Cult" is just a term for a non-mainstream religion, basically.
  • Haaaakkkchoooleeee, there are some pretty significant differences between a cult and religion. The SGU covered it a while ago but I think some of the main ones are:
    The scripture of a religion tends to be freely readable while a cult's are often known only to the initiated.
    Cults are more known for cutting people off from their friends and family.
    And "destructive cult" is one classification of cult that you happen to hear about the most because of really, really insane things they do.

Thank you, last week's Stuff You Should Know podcast.
  • edited March 2011
    The scripture of a religion tends to be freely readable while a cult's are often known only to the initiated.
    An interesting point, but I don't think it's that important.
    Cults are more known for cutting people off from their friends and family.
    Most religions have a strong tendency to cause similar divides. The main difference is that with mainstream religions, it tends to be the case that the entire family is already indoctrinated.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2011
    I think the difference is cults immediately start cutting you off (Making the cult your main source of dependence.) whereas religions will try to use you as a vector to convert those around you and being cut off is often a side effect.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Also, religion isn't generally about the society, it's about a personal choice regarding your spirituality or lack thereof. Cults are about getting into a group where you feel you belong, and being indoctrinated into that group to become a sort of "hive mind."
  • edited March 2011
    I think the difference is cults immediately start cutting you off (Making the cult your main source of dependence.) whereas religions will try to use you as a vector to convert those around you and being cut off is often a side effect.
    That's a simple difference in tactics which results from the level of social acceptance. Mainstream religions don't have to worry anywhere near as much about scrutiny as newly-formed ones.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Also, religion isn't generally about the society, it's about a personal choice regarding your spirituality or lack thereof. Cults are about getting into a group where you feel you belong, and being indoctrinated into that group to become a sort of "hive mind."
    Your religion might be that way for you, but don't presume to speak for everyone. Plenty of people are indoctrinated into religions the same way as into cults, and in many places being religious is a matter of huge social pressure.
  • It feels like I'm close to a quiet nervous breakdown so I'll talk later.
  • edited March 2011
    Also, religion isn't generally about the society, it's about a personal choice regarding your spirituality or lack thereof. Cults are about getting into a group where you feel you belong, and being indoctrinated into that group to become a sort of "hive mind."
    Your religion might be that way for you, but don't presume to speak for everyone. Plenty of people are indoctrinated into religions the same way as into cults, and in many places being religious is a matter of huge social pressure.
    Perhaps, yes. But I would personally describe those religions as therefore being "cult-like." In my experience, people who surround themselves with only their religion and people who believe similarly are considered by others to be cult-like, since that is one perception of cults.
    Post edited by Axel on
    Well, in the case of the JW's, they actively encourage you to distance yourselves from friends and family members who are not also JW's. Actually, I believe that you are expressly not allowed to associate with non-JW's, unless you lived with them before converting.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the most critical defining features of a "cult." Not all small religions are cults, but many have cult-like behaviors. The JW's are a true cult.
  • My friend is an excommunicated member of the JW's (not exactly sure why) and he's been completely ostracized in the whole community. Technically his family isn't even allowed to talk to him.
  • I went to a Catholic high school. I never felt that it was cult-like. I spoke my mind, regularly had polite (and sometimes, very impolite) disagreements with the religion teachers, and nothing was ever forced on me. I got an excellent education. We had a pretty significant amount of atheists and deists in attendance as well. The Jesuits are an accepting bunch.

However, there was one retreat that was not Jesuit in origin, and was quite cult-like. At the retreat center, all electronics were confiscated and all clocks concealed so that you'd have no sense of time. Outside hours and windowed rooms were limited so the sun could not be used. Activities kept you awake. The result was a four-day period with an average of four hours of sleep nightly. Upon arrival, you were ruthlessly insulted by various chaperones to feel worthless. As you entered sleep delirium and dysphoria, everyone began love-bombing each other out of desperation while at the same time being bombarded with sermons about the holy spirit. The result was that euphoria could be induced in those of the retreat, and then a religious experience could be tied to it. When students would return from school, they'd call it "Kai-high," a period of about a seven-day endorphin overload with lots of hugs between retreatmates and the like. Then, they'd actively pressure other people to go on the next retreat. The practices were kept highly secret ("The Secrets of Kairos," they were even called) in order to prevent anyone from knowing what actually caused all this happiness. I never went; I was so profoundly weirded out by the obvious cult practices (sleep deprivation, love bombing, dressing down) that I publicly spoke against going.

Moral of the story: Any religion can easily become cult-like. If you're not a member of a more "passive" religion (Zen Buddhism is pretty sane, IMHO), watch your back. The lunatic fringe is out there, and they want you on their side.
  • edited March 2011
    Well, in the case of the JW's, they actively encourage you to distance yourselves from friends and family members who are not also JW's. Actually, I believe that you are expressly not allowed to associate with non-JW's, unless you lived with them before converting.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the most critical defining features of a "cult." Not all small religions are cults, but many have cult-like behaviors. The JW's are a true cult.
    Hillsong Church are much the same - The theological theory is generic mainstream christian, but their policies are closer to Scientology than Christianity. I know of a few people who have been declared persona non grata, and church members are instructed and pressured to pretty much actively deny their existence.
    They're also quite famous for their secretive camps and retreats which are much like as WUB described above, and essentially using their members as slave labor to make money from the church.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Tezuka's last two volumes of Phoenix express my feelings towards religion in general.
    In short, religion is a tool that could bring a lot power, power leads to corruption. However, just like any tool it is not evil by itself. One can use it for a greater good or a greater evil.
    Oh, man.
    Why did Tezuka have to die and not finish Phoenix? :(
  • Got sriracha on my white Real Madrid jersey. Immediate washed the spot with cold water and sent it through the washer on a cold cycle. Still a slightly visible spot.

This looks like a job for my mom.
  • I went to a Catholic high school. I never felt that it was cult-like. I spoke my mind, regularly had polite (and sometimes, very impolite) disagreements with the religion teachers, and nothing was ever forced on me. I got an excellent education. We had a pretty significant amount of atheists and deists in attendance as well. The Jesuits are an accepting bunch.