This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• As I recall, riot batons aren't legal in some or all of NY state. An AK-pattern rifle is probably out of the question.
  • I can't fathom if my AK is legal in the state of NY.
    It depends on if your gun was made or modified into being an assault weapon after 9/13/94.
  • edited September 2011
    As I recall, riot batons aren't legal in some or all of NY state.
    I'm pretty sure ASP collapsible batons are illegal here in Michigan, but I could probably go down to a sporting goods store a pick up an AK no questions asked.
    It depends on if your gun was made or modified into being an assault weapon after 9/13/94.
    Some may be legal depending on how they were made. Some AK's were made during to ban to be legal. Basically no pistol grip and possibly only accepting smaller capacity magazines.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Also, which firing pin you have makes a difference. Semi-auto pin is okay. Full-auto pin is a BIIIIG no-no.
  • As I recall, riot batons aren't legal in some or all of NY state. An AK-pattern rifle is probably out of the question.
    I've got a baton, and my brother has an AK. It's fine to own a baton in NY but not to purchase one unless you're a cop. My brother has a few guns and clips made before the ban went into effect. Thus they're legal.
  • As I recall, riot batons aren't legal in some or all of NY state.
    I'm pretty sure ASP collapsible batons are illegal here in Michigan, but I could probably go down to a sporting goods store a pick up an AK no questions asked.
    Weapons laws are weird. You can have an asp in Chicago, but you can't have a blade longer than 3" (rarely enforced). You can have a shotgun or a rifle, but you can't have a handgun.
  • As I recall, riot batons aren't legal in some or all of NY state.
    Weapons laws are weird. You can have an asp in Chicago, but you can't have a blade longer than 3" (rarely enforced). You can have a shotgun or a rifle, but you can't have a handgun.
    Yeah they are. Especially since most of the laws aren't really specific so its all based on precedents. Its hard to know if some stuff is legal or not. Some is just bullshit to me. I can't have a taser, or pepper spray stronger than 10% capsaicin, but I can get a CPL really easily once I'm 21 and carry a gun concealed practically anywhere. Hell, I can open carry nearly wherever the fuck I want.
  • Here is a bad website with a lot of useful info: http://ocshooters.com/Reports/awb/NY-AWB-S8234.html

They need to stop making gun laws and just enforcing the ones we have. It's kind of obscene.

Their are 5 modifications that can turn a gun into an assault weapon: pistol grip, folding/adjustable stock, barrel length under 16', flash suppressor, and magazine size. Having 2 of those 5 is ok. Having 3 of those 5 is illegal in NY.

A fully automatic fire setting is automatically an assult weapon. Silencers are illegal too.
  • edited September 2011
    Their are 5 modifications that can turn a gun into an assault weapon: pistol grip, folding/adjustable stock, barrel length under 16', flash suppressor, and magazine size. Having 2 of those 5 is ok. Having 3 of those 5 is illegal in NY.
    Well if you're right my gun only has two, pistol and high cap mag. Though I think it's "threaded barrel" rather than "flash suppressor" so my gun would then be illegal.

EDIT: The thing is my gun is an imported gun that was modified to be compliant with US import regulations. It has 1974 stamped on it, but I don't know if it's a by law a 1974 or a 2011 by the letter of the law.

EDITEDIT: Maybe I'll pick up a 10 rd mag and call it legal. :P

EDITEDITEDIT: According to the internets my WASR is a post-ban weapon, which means it's threaded barrel, pistol grip, and bayonet lug make it an assault weapon. Nevermind that I can't actually get the bayonet to fit. :P

In conclusion, Wyatt your state sucks, move to a free state.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • You can have a shotgun or a rifle, but you can't have a handgun.
    I often find it hard to walk to places with a shotgun in my pocket. However, those gangsters with their baggy pants...
  • We have really weird laws here regarding flick-down batons - they're illegal to own, but they're legal to sell. Don't even fucking ask me how that works.
  • I guess that's kind of how fireworks are here. While they sell some small rocket and fountain fireworks here at Walmart and normal stores, if you want to buy the good stuff you have to buy them on like an Indian Reservation and they're illegal once you're off the Res, or possible just in general. I think here the batons are possibly legal to own and have at home, but illegal to actually carry. I don't know if there's really any particular law about it. It may depend on how much of a dick the cop/judge is. Weapons laws piss me off. Its illegal to carry a switchblade but I can carry a normal flick knife wherever the fuck I want. If I'm an asshole that wants to stab someone, its not really going to make much difference whether the knife came out automatically or if my thumb flicked it out.
  • Once again I try to use a wifi network which is configured so badly, it blocks all Macs and iPhones. What the hell? Thankfully I have a windows install on my MacBook, so can still get online. But then the network blocks mp3 downloads? What the fuck? Who thinks mp3 files are worth blocking? Downloading podcasts and a new audiobook is the only thing I wanted to do with the free wifi!
  • Once again I try to use a wifi network which is configured so badly, it blocks all Macs and iPhones. What the hell? Thankfully I have a windows install on my MacBook, so can still get online. But then the network blocks mp3 downloads? What the fuck? Who thinks mp3 files are worth blocking? Downloading podcasts and a new audiobook is the only thing I wanted to do with the free wifi!
    That's pretty bad. I bet using any sort of encryption will get past this though. An SSH tunnel or VPN would do.
  • Man, I hate it when professors specifically teach about "theories" within a major. With Communications, that's an enormous pain in the ass, because Communication by default has millions of definitions, exceptions, rules, and theories, with no technical right or wrong answer. However, it's bullshit that this subject can naturally be graded just on the teacher's personal biases (However, it's bloated and hidden within every single factoid lectured to us) It feels like it's brain peeling because I'm being lectured and crucially tested on stuff that doesn't matter.

This is probably a very common occurrence with college classes, but maaaaaan is it sucky this semester.
  • My communications class was rough for similar reasons. Each class was taught by a grad student/TA using a specific textbook that was taken as the word of god regarding a lot of very subjective concepts. And the TA sometimes disagreed with the book, and graded to that bias. And the professor that oversees all these classes graded with his own bias (usually just exams I believe). So you could either figure out those nuances and try to predict which measure you were going to be comparing against, or you could side with just one (textbook was probably the safest), or you could do what I did and give honest criticism to all three and nearly fail the course for it.
  • My friend who does the tier 3 support for our project is leaving which is going to promote me to tier 3 support.
  • My friend who does the tier 3 support for our project is leaving which is going to promote me to tier 3 support.
    Does this promotion involve a raise?
    Does this promotion involve a raise?
    noooope
  • noooope
    Oh fuck that noise. I'm firmly in the camp of "You want me to do more? Pay me." Do you at least earn overtime?
  • RymRym
    edited September 2011
    noooope
    Oh fuck that noise. I'm firmly in the camp of "You want me to do more? Pay me."
    Well, higher-tier support usually means fewer more interesting issues. It also looks way better on a resume.

Also, there's a particular barrier in careers that can be worth going for: moving into the executive track (as I just recently did).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • noooope
    Oh fuck that noise. I'm firmly in the camp of "You want me to do more? Pay me." Do you at least earn overtime?
    I may get higher pay in a few months, but not initially.
  • edited September 2011
    You have to call Support in order to cancel the auto-renew on an XBL account. That's some heavy bullshit.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited September 2011
    You have to call Support in order to cancel the auto-renew on an XBL account. That's some heavy bullshit.
    Yeah it is. Last year my roommate or one of his drunk friends ordered the Xbox Live family pack thing on my account for $100 and it took forever to actually get a real person to cancel it. I wish there was just a "cancel plan" button.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Steam apparently stopped responding after I asked it to download my games before I left for school. At this rate I'm never going to play Borderlands :(
  • My social autism took full affect last night,
    I dont even know what I did... I was partying hard and the next morning my best and only friend wont talk to me...
    I have nothing now...
  • edited September 2011
    My social autism took full affect last night,
    I dont even know what I did... I was partying hard and the next morning my best and only friend wont talk to me...
    I have nothing now...
    Not sure that's autism. Just a blackout. Regardless, that blows. Try and find out what you did from someone else and then make amends?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My social autism took full affect last night,
    I have nothing now...
    Not sure that's autism. Just a blackout. Regardless, that blows. Try and find out what you did from someone else and then make amends?
    Me and him were the only two, and he literally will not talk to me... Unfortunately.
  • Bought a Japanese hobbykit from Maker and a switch is broken. Goodbye wire recorder, I hardly knew ye.

At least, goodbye until I can figure out how to remove the switch so I can solder on a new one.