This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited April 2012
    That's fine, your experience differs from other people and I think you'd agree that you don't have an entirely typical lifestyle.

Returning to the main point: It's fine to like things, but when you encounter someone less knowledgeable or enthusiastic than yourself, you should try and pull them in in a cool way e.g. "Oh, admonish, it means "Warn or reprimand someone firmly."." and don't act like that guy.

I know it's hard when you're a nerd, especially when it comes to things where you can very easily give yourself a feeling of superiority, but don't.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Sorry, Fred, but she's been in college for nearly four years now and has been a creative writing major for 2+ years of them. It has nothing to do with me being a nerd, I simply expected more from her.
  • Yeah, writers should know words. I'm in a major full of people that actively look down on writing, in a school full of people who actively dislike writing, and I choose to know words despite all this. Someone who chooses to write as a profession (or sub-profession) should absolutely dwarf my knowledge of words and writing.
  • Wait, what do you think it is that people who study language actually do?
  • My sister doesn't know the meaning of the word "admonish". Literally. And she's a creative writing minor.
    Eh. I've met a person who was responsible for not only the saftey of other people, but training people to be responsible for the saftey of other people, and she didn't know the meaning of "Detrimental." No Shit, she thought it meant the same as imperative.
    Wait, what do you think it is that people who study language actually do?
    Seems so. So does Sonic. Not actually true, of course. I mean, people actually give me money to write things, and I still regularly encounter words I don't know. So I just add them to my vocabulary and move on, it's not like it's a big fuckin' deal.

• Wait, what do you think it is that people who study language actually do?
    Have a really versatile vocabulary and are just better at using forms of language and grammar than me? That's about it.

• I'm not sure etymology is something your average course goes into depth on. I'll go ask my sister.
  • My sister doesn't know the meaning of the word "admonish". Literally. And she's a creative writing minor.
    I didn't know what admonish meant, before reading this and going to Google. Also I will probably forget the word before tomorrow.

Forgetting words in your secondary language is not much to be blamed for, but it's frustrating when people don't know a regular word in their primary tongue.
  • edited April 2012
    Talked with my slightly inebriated sister and what I took away from it is that there are better things to be worried about than etymology.

If that's the worst thing that happened today, you have it pretty good.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    I didn't know what admonish meant, before reading this and going to Google. Also I will probably forget the word before tomorrow.

Forgetting words in your secondary language is not much to be blamed for, but it's frustrating when people don't know a regular word in their primary tongue.
    Yeah. Maybe we all just have a heightened sense of what accounts for a "normal word" in our language, but...Sometimes I'm just disappointed when people don't know words. Sue me if that makes me a jerk, but I still kinda agree with Sonic.

• WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?
    Warning: this is about as hard to watch as baby chiropractic.

• Haven't they seen all the decades of evidence that shaking your baby is dangerous? Also, that doctor was drowning babies.

He drowns babies. And is a doctor.
  • I didn't see the doctor but there is the fact that babies can instinctively hold their breath.
  • Yeah, I know they can hold their breath. But...What will sticking their heads under water accomplish?
  • Now they're wet.
  • Immunity to baptism?
  • edited April 2012
    Nah man, Mormons will actually do it postmortem.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Immunity to baptism?
    If that was how Baptism worked...Still no.

• Immunity to baptism?

Baptism works?

• Immunity to baptism?

Baptism works?

I meant, if that was how the theology behind Baptism worked. I personally believe Baptism is an entirely symbolic and mental choice that you display with a physical action.

• Immunity to baptism?

Baptism works?

I meant, if that was how the theology behind Baptism worked. I personally believe Baptism is an entirely symbolic and mental choice that you display with a physical action.

But the baby isn't making any choice. The baby's parents are.
  • edited April 2012
    This is why one should be an Anabaptist, in at least the baptizing-consensually bits.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Immunity to baptism?

Baptism works?

But the baby isn't making any choice. The baby's parents are.
    That's why I don't support baby baptism.

• Stitches keep getting caught in my boxers. Ow.
  • That's why I don't support baby baptism.
    May I suggest Menonism?
  • That's why I don't support baby baptism.
    May I suggest Menonism?
    Meh? My church already doesn't support baby baptism.

• This is kind of a thing of the day thing because the irony is just so delicious.

"Lawl"
  • I can't nap peacefully in my own room because of the two motherfuckers above me. One plays saxophone, the other one shitty christian devotionals on acoustic guitar. And sometimes both at once.

Sometime I feel like I'm just homesick for silence.
  • ... Bets on how many people freak out and stop eating beef because they don't understand the difference between a dairy cow and a meat cow?