This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Americans generally go to work sick, or else they lose pay/vacation days.
    Sick days motherfucker, do you has them?
  • edited July 2012
    Whenever my co-workers/underlings came to work sick, I'd always ask them to go home. It's better than having them get everyone else sick too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My boss is fair enough about "If you are sick, stay home" but it still comes out of my vacation days. The only "extra days" we get are bereavement.
  • edited July 2012
    Americans generally go to work sick, or else they lose pay/vacation days.
    There is no legal requirement for such, so for the most part they don't exist.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Americans generally go to work sick, or else they lose pay/vacation days.
    There is no legal requirement for such, so for the most part they don't exist.
    I'm aware the US has no healthy work economy at all. On par with it's healthcare situation. And the fact that minimum wage does not actually mean minimum waaaaaaaaaaaaage for some jobs.
    Whenever my co-workers/underlings came to work sick, I'd always ask them to go home. It's better than having them get everyone else sick too.
    Correct, as an employer you should incentivize people to stay the fuck away from work when sick. That way they'll be back to work healthy and back at capacity, and the rest of the work force doesn't risk suddenly dropping out due to illness. Fucking health hazard, US companies.
  • "If you feel sick, stay home" is bullshit sentiment if you also dock someone their very limited vacation time: they still have an incentive to come into work no matter how sick they are.
  • It's pretty stupid, especially when having sick people come into work really isn't helping anyone. After all, they're not going to be able to do their best work, and they might get other people sick too.
  • "If you feel sick, stay home" is bullshit sentiment if you also dock someone their very limited vacation time: they still have an incentive to come into work no matter how sick they are.
    And this is why you give some sick days that if unused may be added to vacation days with the caveat that further sick days have some other cost requirement.
  • If people have any sick days, they use them to augment their existing and minimal vacation days, and are still disinclined to actually call in sick.

Better to give unlimited sick days, but to intervene when there is apparent abuse.
  • edited July 2012
    Part of the sick day problem can be somewhat alleviated via telecommuting. I've been admittedly very fortunate that every place I've worked has had pretty good telecommuting policies. I still go into the office pretty much all the time when I'm feeling healthy, but when I've been sick enough to stay home but not so sick I was completely unproductive, I usually worked from home. That allowed me to save sick/vacation days, keep from infecting anyone else at work, and still get some work done.

Admittedly, not everyone's job can be so flexible with telecommuting -- but that's still no excuse not to have real sick days.

Edit: My current employer has no fixed limit of sick days, but they do ask that you log your sick time for abuse tracking purpose, like what Rym said. I still choose to work from home when I'm only "a little sick," but it's nice that if come across a situation where I needed to spend all day visiting doctors, I don't have to worry about it.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • My office allowed one guy to telecommute at his leisure. Since he didn't do anything during that time, it's now heavily frowned upon.
  • It's been a very long time since I worked for an employer with unlimited sick days with the caveat that it be reasonable. My current employee is very draconion, to their own detriment.
  • My iomega 500GB external drive, which I've only had for about 3 years, is starting to make some altogether unpleasant noises.

This is inconvenient, as it's my backup device for all of my family photos and pretty much my entire file system via Time Machine.

Ugh. I'm not looking forward to a surprise need for replacement right now.
  • Ugh. I'm not looking forward to a surprise need for replacement right now.
    Then all you have to do is phase it out for a new one.
  • Ugh. I'm not looking forward to a surprise need for replacement right now.
    Then all you have to do is phase it out for a new one.
    No budget. I'll have to set up an earmark and hope it lasts the summer. :)
  • edited July 2012
    No budget. I'll have to set up an earmark and hope it lasts the summer. :)
    Yeah, I don't believe you. But you knew that already. A harddrive is piss-cheap, if you don't have the budget for that, how the fuck do you still eat.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Yeah, you can get a 1TB external hard drive for under $100.
  • I'm on a 3 year death march to pay off all my credit cards. $100 is more discretionary income than I have in a month.

I used the couple hundred I made at con last weekend to buy my youngest a bed because she'll be 3 next month and the crib was getting silly.

Anyway, I'm not going to go into brutal detail about my finances. :)
  • Decided to try the cheeseburger pizza in the cafeteria.

It is NOT good... :P
  • Decided to try the cheeseburger pizza in the cafeteria.

It is NOT good... :P
    It's also more expensive than a home-made sandwich. If you're going to claim you have to pinch pennies, pinch pennies.
  • Even at my poorest, I never skimped on good food. An army marches, after all, on its belly.
  • Our cafeteria is subsidized, so the difference between cafe and packed is literally pennies a month.
  • Ahhh... IBM was like that. The food was very cheap and ridiculously good.
  • Due to becoming unexpectedly ill with a cold today, I collapsed at work. I was sent home today (being very generously given a ride home by one of my co-workers) and now I'm sick in bed. Fuck!
    Did you get sick throughout the day, or did you stubbornly go to work even though you were sick?
    To answer your question, I went in to work feeling kinda eh. I thought this is no biggie, I'll just get into working mode and I'll be fine. That was not the case. I definitely felt a noticeable decrease in energy (I ate breakfast/had my vitamins) that was not normal and I felt kinda spacey, but I still tried to work it off. Then, I just stopped and I fainted. Because I worked at CVS (an American pharmacy branch), I woke up on a cot in one of the small medical centers there and they told me what happened and told me to take the day off and call them if I didn't feel any better by tomorrow. Today, I didn't feel any better and I called in sick.

• Batman starts, power goes out (T_T)
  • Even at my poorest, I never skimped on good food. An army marches, after all, on its belly.
    All the more reason to make it at home for a fraction of the cost. Especially in the US where everything supposedly comes with a serving of HFCS, even the fucking bread.
    Our cafeteria is subsidized, so the difference between cafe and packed is literally pennies a month.
    So pinch those pennies.
    To answer your question, I went in to work feeling kinda eh. I thought this is no biggie, I'll just get into working mode and I'll be fine. That was not the case. I definitely felt a noticeable decrease in energy (I ate breakfast/had my vitamins) that was not normal and I felt kinda spacey, but I still tried to work it off. Then, I just stopped and I fainted. Because I worked at CVS (an American pharmacy branch), I woke up on a cot in one of the small medical centers there and they told me what happened and told me to take the day off and call them if I didn't feel any better by tomorrow. Today, I didn't feel any better and I called in sick.
    Shit happens.
  • Batman starts, power goes out (T_T)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...I mean that sucks dude. :P
  • edited July 2012
    Batman starts, power goes out (T_T)
    Well it's better than getting shot. Mass shooting at Batman screening.

What is also sad that the youngest victim is a 3 month year old baby. While it's tragic, who brings their baby to a midnight screening? WTF? I hate when people do that. Keep your babies at home.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • They said that a 3 month old and a six month old were treated, but I haven't seen them included in the dead yet. Have you?

Still, yes, taking a 3 month old to a midnight screening ought to be sufficient grounds for a visit from DCF.
  • I said victim.