This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I said victim.
    I didn't contradict you, I just wondered if you've seen them specifically listed as dead or alive yet. I haven't.
  • Batman starts, power goes out (T_T)
    Well it's better than getting shot. Mass shooting at Batman screening.

What is also sad that the youngest victim is a 3 month year old baby. While it's tragic, who brings their baby to a midnight screening? WTF? I hate when people do that. Keep your babies at home.
    Apparently, people are saying that it was reported first on 9gag. Facebook is really raging about this whole thing.
  • I read there was a 6 year old wounded, too. Bringing babies to a movie is one thing, they are annoying and cry and stuff. But bringing young kids that can actually process whats going on in a very violent crazy movie? Maybe these parents had never seen the new Batman movies and thought they're kid friendly or something, bc otherwise, wow. Obviously its awful that the kids (and anyone) got hurt, not blaming the parents for that.
  • I saw Robocop when I was 5 or 6.
  • I think Batman is a little more violent than Robocop, generally, but I haven't seen this latest movie.

Batman, as a rule, tends to be heavier on the sadism, which I think is worse than the violence.
  • I think Batman is a little more violent than Robocop, generally, but I haven't seen this latest movie.
    Robocop includes a scene where a man is shot until he turns to paste by a machine gun robot.

Robocop includes a scene where a man is shot until he turns to paste by a machine gun robot.

I guess I blocked that scene out. Don't remember it.
  • Ok obviously the people of this forum were very mature kids and could handle that stuff and think all kids should too, yadda yadda. However I've seen several violent/mature/scary movies in theaters with little kids in the next row screaming, crying, and freaking out. Its not cool. In fact, its awful and ruins my experience. To me its worse than babies on a plane.

My mom tried to shelter me and wouldn't let me watch R movies until I was at least in my tweens. But when Mom wasn't home Dad would let me watch Stephen King movies with him. I got scared pretty bad sometimes, but I still had fun. So I can see both sides to the letting kids watch mature material debate. Still, not in the theater, please. *grumble grumble*
  • The last movie I went to was The Hunger Games, with my teenage daughter.

Two rows behind me was a little two year old girl with her mom and her two teenage children.

The two year old wasn't freaking out. In fact, she was quiet during the first hour and during the second hour, very sleepily and sadly complaining that she wanted to go home, Mommy. Can't we go home?

She sounded doped up on Benadryl, was the impression I got. It was super creepy and really, REALLY bothered me.
  • Ok obviously the people of this forum were very mature kids and could handle that stuff and think all kids should too, yadda yadda. However I've seen several violent/mature/scary movies in theaters with little kids in the next row screaming, crying, and freaking out. Its not cool. In fact, its awful and ruins my experience. To me its worse than babies on a plane.

My mom tried to shelter me and wouldn't let me watch R movies until I was at least in my tweens. But when Mom wasn't home Dad would let me watch Stephen King movies with him. I got scared pretty bad sometimes, but I still had fun. So I can see both sides to the letting kids watch mature material debate. Still, not in the theater, please. *grumble grumble*
    Oh, don't get me wrong. All kids are different, and parents need to be smart about it. My brother and I were super cool about violent/scary movies when we were young, but not all kids are.

A parent who brings a child who can't handle it to a scary/violent movie is a dickbag, both to the child and to the other people in the theater.

Oh, don't get me wrong. All kids are different, and parents need to be smart about it. My brother and I were super cool about violent/scary movies when we were young, but not all kids are.

A parent who brings a child who can't handle it to a scary/violent movie is a dickbag, both to the child and to the other people in the theater.

I think kids who are jaded by violence when they were young will always describe themselves as "tough" and "cool" instead of "desensitized" and "jaded". ;-)
  • I almost missed my flight. Fuck the TSA so much. I'm lodging a formal complaint with them and my congressman.
  • I almost missed my flight. Fuck the TSA so much. I'm lodging a formal complaint with them and my congressman.
    Or you could write the complaint on a piece of paper, consume it with dinner, collect the inevitable results, and mail that for the same effect.
    Fly overseas, and your rage will be palpable. The rest of the world? Completely rational. Only the US is ultra-fucked when it comes to airport security.
    Fly overseas, and your rage will be palpable. The rest of the world? Completely rational. Only the US is ultra-fucked when it comes to airport security.
    I keep trying to get my wife to emigrate to the Netherlands with me. She won't do it. :)
    I have, my rage is most great at the moment.
  • My rage maxed out when I flew within Germany. I think it was the most angry I've ever been about the TSA. It was literally the most pleasant airport security experience I've ever had in my life OTHER THAN FLYING IN THE US BEFORE THE TSA.

Sigh...

• I have lots of good memories about flying as a kid. To Florida, to London...

They're memories my kids won't have, and that really, really bothers me.

We want to take our youngest to Disney World in a year or two and the thought of her going through scanners and pat downs is a major deterrent.
  • I've told the anecdote about my grandfather flying internationally on the show before. To summarize, he had a machete slung over his shoulder and boarded the plane with it. As he sat down and prepared to stow it under is seat, the stewardess approached and asked him to put it in the overhead compartment instead "in case anyone trips over it."
  • It doesn't help that in my old age I've developed a pathological fear of flying. The gestapo crap at the airport only feeds my anxiety about being in a tin can 6 miles above the earth travelling at 600 miles per hour held up by air.
  • I would rant about how bad of a Godwins that is, but I can't even care anymore...

You guys have no idea how weird it is as a person who pretty much can't remember pre-9/11 America listening to you all talk about pre-TSA flight. Were flight attendants trained in self-defense back then? This all sounds sooo dangerous, and not the awesome Daryl Surat kind.
  • edited July 2012
    It's sad to me that a large chunk of the US can't remember pre-9/11 America. We're a scared, dystopian nightmare of a country now.

9/11 was solved by armoring cockpit doors. The TSA is a huge scam.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • It wasn't dangerous. There was no special training. "Terrorism" just wasn't an issue. Even after Lockerbie, the security that was implemented was entirely reasonable (metal detectors, better luggage screening, etc...). Walk through a metal detector, luggage through an X-Ray: that was it.

You're more likely to win the lottery or be killed by your own home furniture falling on you than to be killed by terrorists in the US. ;^)
  • 9/11 was solved by armoring cockpit doors. The TSA is a huge scam.
    Yeap. That, and the fact that anyone who tried anything like 9/11 again would get bumrushed by half the plane. ;^)
  • edited July 2012
    9/11 was solved by the reality 9/11. Nobody would ever sit quietly in the event of a terrorist takeover again. The guy could have a machine-gun and we'd bum rush him rather than let them take the cockpit.

Ninja'd by Rym with basically the same words!
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • But apparently we're wrong. 9/11 was solved by billions of wasted dollars and genital touching.
  • The TSA isn't the part that bothers me. The 14 trillion dollar land war in Asia. I was reading some WWII-era propaganda that said "Stop Roosevelt's 7 Trillion Dollar Military complex!" and all I could think was "Remember when 7 trillion dollars won wars?"
  • RymRym
    edited July 2012
    I still stand by the Afghanistan mission, and I think we could have done a lot of good there had we provided more security and not gotten involved in an unrelated and ludicrous additional war with Iraq. ;^)

A war Obama voted against. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited July 2012
    Were flight attendants trained in self-defense back then? This all sounds sooo dangerous, and not the awesome Daryl Surat kind.
    Not in the US. And they're still not - It's entirely optional, and always has been. However, if you are an american flight attendant, and you do want to take a self-defence course, you can take an aircraft-specific course, and the airline will pay for it - the same as it was previously.

In Australia, it's required, you actually have to get certified, much like a bouncer would(well, here at least, don't know about your bouncers.) It's a legal requirement, if you're not certified, you don't fly.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I still stand by the Afghanistan mission, and I think we could have done a lot of good there had we provided more security and not gotten involved in an unrelated and ludicrous additional war with Iraq. ;^)

A war Obama voted against. ^_~
    Afghanistan was a good idea, if nothing else, because no matter what we do to that place there ain't no way it's getting worse, and the Taliban are pretty much the grossest ideology on the planet; on principle they really shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of anything. Even with the half-assing done in that country due to Iraq, the results thus far have definitely been a net positive; better infrastructure, better rights for women, and a partial restoration of urban areas to pre-Soviet levels.