This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Dammit, dad... Why do you have to be like this? It stops you from being as awesome as you could be!
    There's a much simpler answer: Saudi Arabia is on the other side of the world. Not many people have the money to do it.
    Additionally, you're not even allowed to enter Saudi Arabia, without some really special dispensation from the government there, unless you're a Muslim.
    Outside of the US, I see Americans automatically taking their shoes off in the security lines at airports. People have to tell them that they don't need to do it...
    Yeah, when I went to Curaçao last year, I didn't have to take my shoes off at their airport, though they did make me remove my belt.

We'll see what happens when I go to Portugal tonight. The flight there is a direct flight from Boston, but I'm also doing some additional domestic flying there, so we'll see how insane their security is.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Outside of the US, I see Americans automatically taking their shoes off in the security lines at airports. People have to tell them that they don't need to do it...
    Well, we waited too long I guess. The time to get the fuck rid of that bullshit was 5+ years ago. Now we're likely stuck with it because 2/3rds of the population doesn't understand what's wrong with it (with some large
  • Obviously it wouldn't keep every evil plan from going through (not that TSA would), but I'd much rather have every plane have a couple extra Air Marshalls than to deal with all of the TSA bullshit.
  • Obviously it wouldn't keep every evil plan from going through (not that TSA would), but I'd much rather have every plane have a couple extra Air Marshalls than to deal with all of the TSA bullshit.
    Terrorist attacks on planes are less likely than lighting striking your specific mailbox. It's no thing.
  • Hardened cockpit, metal detectors, X-rays of luggage, etc... Simple, effective, and cheap.
    Terrorist attacks on planes are less likely than lighting striking your specific mailbox. It's no thing.
    Exactly. I'm just saying if we're going to have something in place just in case, I'd rather it just be an extra guy or two in there in case shit goes down, rather than a huge security theater that inconveniences everyone.
  • Hardened cockpit, metal detectors, X-rays of luggage, etc... Simple, effective, and cheap.
    In other words, exactly what we were doing pre-9/11 plus a better cockpit door.

No, instead let's hire legions of thugs and buy billions of dollars in equipment to give everybody going to the airport an impromptu urology/gynecology exam.
  • Also, passengers know to fight back.
  • Exactly. As security expert Bruce Schneier stated:
    Exactly two things have made airline travel safer since 9/11: reinforcement of cockpit doors, and passengers who now know that they may have to fight back. Everything else -- Secure Flight and Trusted Traveler included -- is security theater. We would all be a lot safer if, instead, we implemented enhanced baggage security -- both ensuring that a passenger's bags don't fly unless he does, and explosives screening for all baggage -- as well as background checks and increased screening for airport employees.
  • edited August 2012
    Outside of the US, I see Americans automatically taking their shoes off in the security lines at airports. People have to tell them that they don't need to do it...
    England, China, international flights in Australia, and a bunch of European countries require it too. Especially if you're flying into America - the US government has been pushing other countries to adopt their system for years.

Also, for quite a while, there was somewhat of a problem with the reinforced cockpit doors on some airframes - The door was reinforced, but the walls around it were not, which were accessible via the galley or a bathroom, meaning that all you had to do to get into the cockpit was rip one panel off, and kick out the other. I'm pretty sure they've fixed that now, though, and extended the reinforcement into the walls on those airframes.

Also, not that you've muffed it Lou, but others have in the past - we should be careful when selectively quoting Schneier - Because while he's a security expert, most people quoting him are not, nor have they really read much of his work beyond the famous security theatre piece.

For example, people saying that Security theatre is always bad, and quoting him, while ignoring the piece he wrote which praised security theatre, and pointed out that it does have a place, and there are times where it is perfectly acceptable. Or when people quote the security theatre article, and then claim that we should instead use the system the Israelis use, and incorporating a lot of profiling - Which Schneier actually thinks will make us less safe and secure.

Now, I'm not saying don't quote the guy, or avoid it - merely advising caution, and checking more of his work to ensure he actually agrees with you, rather than trying to use his name and expertise as an argument-winning bludgeon. Once again, not what you've done, Lou, but others have, so I'm attempting to nip it in the bud.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Oh, definitely, as with any expert you need to be very careful when selecting his quotes and try not to "quote mine" him without context. In the case of the armored cockpit doors and stuff, he is is something he has said multiple times in his essays, so it's pretty safe to assume he does strongly agree with it.
  • edited August 2012
    Marvin Hamlisch has kissed today goodbye.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • A bat was in my parents' room while they and the dog were asleep, and my dad left the window open for it to fly out instead of trapping it to be tested for rabies. Now my parents and dog might have to go through rabies shots just to be safe.
  • edited August 2012
    AGHAGHAGH!
    NOoooo.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Oh, definitely, as with any expert you need to be very careful when selecting his quotes and try not to "quote mine" him without context.
    I can only wish others had the same caution. Suffice it to say, those examples I gave are not only the most common, but also two which I've seen around here more than once.
    In the case of the armored cockpit doors and stuff, he is is something he has said multiple times in his essays, so it's pretty safe to assume he does strongly agree with it.
    Well, yeah, once they fixed that niggling problem on some airframes, he's absolutely correct about it.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, they got the shots just to be safe, but unfortunately later shots might interfere with a planned vacation to visit relatives in Indiana. It's kinda weird to think that the only reason any of us knew that bats could be so dangerous is the fact that I happened to listen to that one episode of This American Life.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Nothing ruins your day quite like finding out your cousin just died of heart failure. At 27 too.
  • http://www.wikipediaredefined.com/

What a disaster.
    I like the idea, not so sure about all their execution.

• http://www.wikipediaredefined.com/

What a disaster.
    I like the idea, not so sure about all their execution.

They took Wiki and made it Google. Well.. OK. I guess it looks more usable. In some ways.
  • Nothing ruins your day quite like finding out your cousin just died of heart failure. At 27 too.
    :(

My cousin died at 27, too, but he had just been released from prison and it was an OD.
  • edited August 2012
    My girlfriend's mom was taken to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation today. Her father is estranged so she doesn't have anywhere else to go and is staying with me and my family tonight. It's a shitty situation for her and it seems like she hasn't been able to catch a break lately. I hope everything turns out ok :(
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Now this is just the Dumbest thing I've heard all day - FBI and NZ police justified massive raid on Kim Dotcom's mansion because he "Had a doomsday device that would wipe evidence of piracy from servers around the world."

What.

What.

I don't think I've ever heard a grander load of bollocks in my fucking life.
  • My girlfriend's mom was taken to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation today. Her father is estranged so she doesn't have anywhere else to go and is staying with me and my family tonight. It's a shitty situation for her and it seems like she hasn't been able to catch a break lately. I hope everything turns out ok :(
    If anything, she did catch a break, she has you and your family to help. (Silver lining.)
  • D'aww. Anyway, we've been up all morning making calls now that her mom has been transferred to a mental hospital and the situation seems to have finally stabilized somewhat. We're going to visit her later.
  • After having screwed my shoulder up two months ago it looks like I may have to go back for surgery something I was trying to avoid with intense physio. Could do with out this as my left arm is getting more and more useless, and it hurts really bad.
  • edited August 2012
    Bought a 6-pack of Coronas from the store. Just got one out of the fridge and realized it is in fact Coronita, the 7oz bottles. What. The. Fuck.

Maybe if I drink all of them things will be ok.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Maybe if you drink all of them you will be feeling it just enough to realize you need more.
  • One Key Lime to Serve Them All.
  • Florida in the summer is a miserable place to be with a broken A/C.