This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Hearing this makes so so angry! There's no way my family would stand for it. Have those people forgot how to be decent?

I'm sorry for your loss, Hungry Joe.
  • God damn it, I never know what to say in these situations, but this is bad enough that I have to say something. That story was simultaneously infuriating and depressing and I can't imagine going through it myself and handling it in any sort of positive way. I'm really sorry for the loss of your dog and the trouble you and your wife are going through, and I hope it all works out as soon as possible.
  • HJ, I am so sad for you, your wife, and your pup and at the same time I am deeply angered that the vets behaved in such a manner. I think that you chose the best available option given the circumstances and that the vets were heartless bastards.
    I hope that you and Carole have some avenue for recourse even if it is only a BBB or AVMA complaint. I hope you find a quality local vet for your future needs.
  • Joe, it sounds like you both loved Ipsa the best way you could. I'm sure she loves you back for it. Some people can be terribly callous, and the current economic situation seems to have brought out the worst. My condolences for your experience. I hope that things turn out ok with your Union and your place in Louisville, as well.
  • I've not had a pleasant night. I'm now single. I didn't see it coming at all.
  • Wow, Joe. That a horrible situation to be in, and I feel bad for you. Those doctors had not decency towards you. You've been through a very tragic loss and I send you my condolences.
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that, sir.

I recommend gin.
  • @ luke burrage: I hope it is salvageable, or if not, that the break is for the best.
    I wish there were words that magically made you, Sail, HJ and everyone else in pain feel better. All I can say is that my heart goes out to you all.
    Ohman. Me too. Looks like this is a bad week for relationships.
  • Went to grill a steak. Not only do I not have grilling utensils, but neither of the two grills near my apartment worked. Attempting to broil something for the first time ever.
  • Went to grill a steak. Not only do I not have grilling utensils, but neither of the two grills near my apartment worked. Attempting to broil something for the first time ever.
    Do not forget to leave the door of the oven cracked! Holy shit. It does not turn out well if you do.
  • Do not forget to leave the door of the oven cracked! Holy shit. It does not turn out well if you do.
    Huh? Why? By the way, I'm using a toaster oven.
  • edited August 2009
    I've not had a pleasant night. I'm now single. I didn't see it coming at all.
    When things suddenly blind side you like that it feels depressing for a while. A while until it eventually goes away one day and you're healed. I'm sorry I can't say more despite knowing how it feels.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited August 2009
    Do not forget to leave the door of the oven cracked! Holy shit. It does not turn out well if you do.
    Huh? Why? By the way, I'm using a toaster oven.
    When you set it to Broil, it basically turns the heating element on full blast. You are supposed to crack the door so the heat doesn't build up too much. It approximates grilling.

That's why ovens and toaster ovens have a place where the door stops, just before actually being closed. If you fail to leave it cracked, you will char the shit out of your food.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • That's why ovens and toaster ovens have a place where the door stops, just before actually being closed. If you fail to leave it cracked, you will char the shit out of your food.
    Huh. Well my toaster oven doesn't have that notch. Also, the broil (even with the door closed) was a success! I think I was wise to sear the meat before I started to seal in the juices. ^_^

• Huh. Well my toaster oven doesn't have that notch. Also, the broil (even with the door closed) was a success! I think I was wise to sear the meat before I started to seal in the juices. ^_^
    Glad it turned out well. If you kept an eye on it, you shouldn't have had a problem anyway. You usually only run into trouble when you follow broiling instructions without proper broiling practices.
  • Glad it turned out well. If you kept an eye on it, you shouldn't have had a problem anyway. You usually only run into trouble when you follow broiling instructions without proper broiling practices.
    I may not be an experienced broiler, but I am a seasoned cook. I know better than to walk away from food I've never cooked before. ~_^
  • What cut of steak was it?

Whatever you do, make sure you never grill a braising steak.
  • Whatever you do, make sure you never grill a braising steak.
    ONE TIME! ONE F*@&;KING; TIME!
  • John Hughes Died today.
  • What cut of steak was it?
    It was a flank steak, aka London broil.
  • John Hughes Died today.
    Wow.....that is very unexpected and very tragic. May he go in peace, from one director to another. He will be sorely missed.
  • @ luke burrage: I hope it is salvageable, or if not, that the break is for the best.
    I wish there were words that magically made you, Sail, HJ and everyone else in pain feel better. All I can say is that my heart goes out to you all.
    I think that's all any of us can do really..
  • edited August 2009
    Fail of my day: Turns out my mother gave me homoeopathic medicine when I was a child. Luckily, I was hardly ever ill.
    I am now going to have to guide my mother through working out why homoeopathic medicine doesn't work.

Seeing how long it took my parents to agree to getting a wireless router, this is going to be interesting.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Jeremy's cat, Cole, and my cat, Digit are so angry we got a new kitten. They keep hissing and growling at both Jeremy and I and Rorscach. I feel like I've betrayed Digit. I know eventually she'll be ok, but I can't help but feel bad.
  • Wait, you named that kitten Rorschach?
  • Wait, you named that kitten Rorschach?
    Because of what he did to her dogs. :)
  • My apologies for lowering the tone.

After an evening of particularly heavy drinking with my housemates, celebrating the first published paper outside of our theses, I selected a safety-vessel that was not appropriate.

The next morning it was brought to my attention that I had chundered into a colander.
  • My fail of the day comes from The New York Times.