This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I guess my fail of the day is that you silly americans still cling to your own measurements and scales. Why can't just just use Celsius?
    Perhaps because our government tells us to use Celsius? I honestly do not care which unit of measure we use to gauge temperature, but I really wish we would switch to the metric system. We already learn the metric system in school and every ten years or so a switch to the metric system is announced, but it never happens.
    At least the U.S. doesn't use stones.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • That's pretty much what I meant, nine.
    I know, I wanted to add the Brits to your list.
  • I guess my fail of the day is that you silly americans still cling to your own measurements and scales. Why can't just just use Celsius? It's really easy.
    -10 - FUCK!
    0 - Water freezes
    20 - Room temperature
    37 - Body temperature
    40 - Too fucking hot
    100 - Water boils
    -10 C is not FUCK! weather. FUCK! weather is -40. -10 is still relatively balmy.
  • Don't forget the Brits btw, they still have Pounds too!
    And stones, I don't understand why they have that unit at all. And Imperial Gallons, which aren't the same as our U.S. Liquid Gallon or the U.S. Dry Gallon
    Why can't just just use Celsius?
    Why can't you use Kelvin?
  • edited August 2009
    At least the U.S. doesn't use stones.
    And stones, I don't understand why they have that unit at all. And Imperial Gallons, which aren't the same as our U.S. Liquid Gallon or the U.S. Dry Gallon.
    I am with you, brother.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • And Imperial Gallons, which aren't the same as our U.S. Liquid Gallon or the U.S. Dry Gallon
    Imperial or USA, they're still dumb.
    -10°C is not FUCK! weather. FUCK! weather is -40. -10 is still relatively balmy.
    -40°C is Spit goes CLUNK. -10°C is FUCK! for anywhere other than Moscow.
  • Imperial or USA, they're still dumb.
    Why?
  • My mother washed the car yesterday and somehow had her new pants covered in mud. She was upset by this, but when she got home, my father told her to calm down. She responded by having a temper-tantrum. My mother is 49.

Can you feel my pain?
  • Why?
    Metric is, again, more logical. In the same vein, barrels and the multiple meanings to 'ton' are also dumbly saturating and uselessly complicating it all.
  • Bought a wonderful electric kettle today. A Bodum Ibis, it's probably the most convenient apparatus I own for cooking. It pairs nicely with my french press.

However, my dorm policies are wonderfully vague about whether or not I can take this magic gadget with me. Damn.
  • Bought a wonderful electric kettle today. A Bodum Ibis, it's probably the most convenient apparatus I own for cooking. It pairs nicely with my french press.
    Oh man. I switched to the electric kettle/french press/thermal carafe combo for my coffee a while back, and it's been awesome. I'm drinking some now.
  • I heard about this a long time ago but only recently actually witnessed the horror. This is a prime example of what is wrong with the Linux community in so many ways.
  • However, my dorm policies are wonderfully vague about whether or not I can take this magic gadget with me. Damn.
    I also live in a dorm, and my roommate and I had an electric kettle last year with absolutely no problems at all. It might just be my college's lax inspections, but I read through the rules pretty thoroughly and never found anything AGAINST electric kettles.
    In fact, my college is okay with me having a toaster oven in the dorm. I don't see why they'd protest an electric kettle, all things considered.

...that said, your dorm policies might be very different from mine.
  • Why can't just just use Celsius?
    Why can't you use Kelvin?
    Celsius IS Kelvin with an offset.
  • Celsius IS Kelvin with an offset.
    But Kelvin doesn't have an arbitrary zero point.
  • The triple-point of H2O isn't an arbitrary zero point. Water is one of the most fundamental building blocks of life. Us humans are bags of mostly water.
  • The triple-point of H2O isn't an arbitrary zero point. Water is one of the most fundamental building blocks of life. Us humans are bags of mostly water.
    Even then there's a lot going on. The absence of heat seems like a more ideal place for a zero point on a scale the measures heat.

Fail of my day, 67% humidity. I couldn't wear my suit jacket on the way to work, the heat was just too brutal.
  • edited August 2009
    Too many of these types of websites exist.
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    MY EYES!!!!, it is like GeoCities or Freewebs all over again, AND WHAT MORON FORGETS THE ' IN DON'T
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
    Yeah, I guess the freezing point of water is arbitrary...
    Yeah, I guess the freezing point of water is arbitrary...
    LOL and burn.
  • Small rant ahead.

So about 3 weeks ago, I sent out an online application for a library card. Yay! I haven't had a library card in years! I'm excited!

The process is supposed to be simple and quick. If you don't have the card in your mailbox within two weeks, you call them. Well, it's been three weeks, so I call them.

I get this dismissive operator on the phone who can't get my name right, and when she finally does she tells me that my card was processed and mailed out on the 5th of August, two weeks ago. I ask her if it's normal for the card to take two whole weeks just to travel by mail, and she tells me it is not. But they haven't gotten it back yet.

Of course, she gives me no option in this situation. Just sort of a "that's too bad". So on my own, I ask if I can go and apply for one in person. She says yes, but they might charge me a fee since I'm already in the database. I have to pay to get a free library card because I did nothing wrong, but the library and/or the postal service fucked up?

And that was all she told me. I feel intensely aggrivated. Googling to find if anyone had a similar problem only brought up results like "It was so easy!" or completely unrelated topics. I really, really hate when things that were supposed to be simple and happy turn into annoying complications. And you'd think that the library would -want- more members, so they might actually do more to help someone who's trying to join!
  • Yeah, I guess the freezing point of water is arbitrary...
    Compared to the rest of the galaxy.

Bottom line is that we're not switching because the first country to adopt the metric system was France. As all Americans and British know, France is stupid. :P
  • edited August 2009
    Bottom line is that we're not switching because the first country to adopt the metric system was France. As all Americans and British know, France is stupid. :P
    French public transport; Your statement is invalid.

You also may have noticed that using the freezing and boiling point of water as fixed points is actually quite useful.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • French public transport; Your statement is invalid.
    *facepalm*
  • edited August 2009
    *facepalm*
    Ok.. Care to elaborate or do you just want to keep making unfounded statements? Whatever suits you.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • And that was all she told me. I feel intensely aggrivated. Googling to find if anyone had a similar problem only brought up results like "It was so easy!" or completely unrelated topics. I really, really hate when things that were supposed to be simple and happy turn into annoying complications. And you'd think that the library would -want- more members, so they might actually do more to help someone who's trying to join!
    Maybe she's just a disgruntled bureaucrat. You should go to the head librarian in person, explain your situation, and see if he/she can rectify the situation.
  • Ok.. Care to elaborate or do you just want to keep making unfounded statements? Whatever suits you.
    No, I'll just let my thick sarcasm continue to fly over your head.
    edited August 2009
    I have to pay to get a free library card because I did nothing wrong, but the library and/or the postal service fucked up?
    I've had my bank fuck up my payment for one of my bills once resulting in me having to pay double the bill (low bill) with the bank being all "Sorry, that's too bad." The bankmanager didn't want to take a single shred of responsibility or admit they fucked up. It's not the first time that a bank has fucked with our family. Stupid, greedy banks.
    No, I'll just let my thick sarcasm continue to fly over your head.
    Can't blame you, it's Omnutia. Not to mention, French public transport still sucks.
    Post edited by ... on