This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Whenever I oversleep or take weird naps, I am hungry and no amount of food helps.
  • I accidentally slept in until 3pm. It's not fantastic. Now I just feel vaguely hungry and delirious.
    I misread that as "vaguely hungry and delicious."
  • I accidentally slept in until 3pm. It's not fantastic. Now I just feel vaguely hungry and delirious.
    Thanksgiving hangover.
  • edited November 2012
    My first computer died today a Bell Legend 15010 Supreme. You will be missed. On a side note check out the size of the user guide.

userguide

userguide

Post edited by Alan on
  • Can't really tell the size without something else to compare with it.
  • I can approximate it based on the number of pages, but...
  • edited November 2012
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Can't really tell the size without something else to compare with it.
    116 pages All configuration settings for setting up the sound card.

soundcard
  • Why weren't there any end-quotes?
  • Just about unhinged my jaw yawning.
  • Oh my god I am so out of shape. 8 hours of dishwashing was nearly the end of me.

I just got home and I got another shift in 9 hours. Jegus.
  • Oh my god I am so out of shape. 8 hours of dishwashing was nearly the end of me.

I just got home and I got another shift in 9 hours. Jegus.
    Welcome to Hospitality, Dishpig!

No, seriously, sympathy. I've worked as a dishpig at times, while not complex, it's by no means an easy or plesant job.

• This job is perfect motivation to get my shit together and start selling stuff to avoid this sort of work.

However, I've been informed that 10-12 hour shifts are to be expected of me eventually and I worry I did too good a job under the managers gaze because she was talking about "full time" and "kitchen" and other scary words.
  • edited November 2012
    Depending on the role in the kitchen, that might be an improvement. 10-12 hour shifts are not uncommon in hospitality, and the people who can't hack it are fucked off quick - If they're talking about you doing it that fast, then they're confident in your abilities, and probably wish to give you a more important role. One person being shithouse can fuck up the whole place - a bad bartender will be a detriment to the whole bar. One bad chef will fuck up the dynamic of the whole kitchen, and one bad waiter will throw the entire dining room off.

Don't worry, it's only scary at first. Admittedly, I'm not sure you're a hospitality sort of guy, but I'll tell you this - if you can hack it in hospitality, you can hack just about any job. Hospitality is great on a resume, because it tells people you can go the distance and get the job done, and you won't wuss out when shit gets tough, and you can work with people really, really well.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Its kinda creepy how advertisement is using location services nowadays. Just had a youtube ad for some smart thermostat, and the end showed the closest Lowes to my house.

They know where I live.
  • AmpAmp
    edited November 2012
    This job is perfect motivation to get my shit together and start selling stuff to avoid this sort of work.

However, I've been informed that 10-12 hour shifts are to be expected of me eventually and I worry I did too good a job under the managers gaze because she was talking about "full time" and "kitchen" and other scary words.
    That can only be a step up as you get to do something interesting. 10-12 was average for when I worked in the kitchen but do not be suppried if your there for 14-16 hours. Also it is totally the biggest motivation to get out and do stuff that is not shit.
    Depending on the role in the kitchen, that might be an improvement. 10-12 hour shifts are not uncommon in hospitality, and the people who can't hack it are fucked off quick - If they're talking about you doing it that fast, then they're confident in your abilities, and probably wish to give you a more important role. One person being shithouse can fuck up the whole place - a bad bartender will be a detriment to the whole bar. One bad chef will fuck up the dynamic of the whole kitchen, and one bad waiter will throw the entire dining room off.
    This oh god this. The amount of times a shit chef with a god complex has ruined a kitchen for me is scary. We had one guy who "knew Gorden Ramsey" and as such used it as cart blanch to insult everyone of us on a daily bases. It felt so good calling him out at the end of my time.

Personal fail; I recently got a job at a camping store. Nothing major but its cool to talk shop and help out people. I really enjoy that aspect. That said chirstmas is coming and head office has now decied that to keep with the "festive" theme I, and my colleagues, have to wear a fucking raindeer cosutume.

Post edited by Amp on
  • edited November 2012
    Actually, the manager pulled me aside today and gave me some awesome news. Apparently I'm the fastest dishwasher of the lot so they are basically scheduling me for decent 6-8 hour shifts during rush days and keeping the slow guys for the super long weekday shifts.

I wore much better shoes today and took advil the moment I started hurting, so today was much better.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Actually, the manager pulled me aside today and gave me some awesome news. Apparently I'm the fastest dishwasher of the lot so they are basically scheduling me for decent 6-8 hour shifts during rush days and keeping the slow guys for the super long weekday shifts.
    much better.
    You are the luckiest potwash I know.

• Oh my fucking god.

I can make twenty-thousand poly character models, tanks, planes, sailing ships, science-fiction devices beyond your widest imagination, guns that Cable himself would hesitate to pick up, rocket ships and large landscapes without breaking a sweat.

But apparently I can't make a low poly shuriken, because I've been at it for like two hours with no results.

ARRRRRRRRRRGH.
  • Actually, the manager pulled me aside today and gave me some awesome news. Apparently I'm the fastest dishwasher of the lot so they are basically scheduling me for decent 6-8 hour shifts during rush days and keeping the slow guys for the super long weekday shifts.

I wore much better shoes today and took advil the moment I started hurting, so today was much better.
    You know what I wear behind the bar? High-top steel-capped boots. Steel Blue Portlands, specifically. The high ankle gives you lots of ankle support, which is super helpful when you're on your feet for hours at a time. Plus, you never get your toes crushed, and the soles are super comfortable, even for hours and hours at a time.

You know what I wear behind the bar? High-top steel-capped boots. Steel Blue Portlands, specifically. The high ankle gives you lots of ankle support, which is super helpful when you're on your feet for hours at a time. Plus, you never get your toes crushed, and the soles are super comfortable, even for hours and hours at a time.

Those look fantastic. My god.

How the heck do I get them up here to canuckland?

• You can buy online from a bunch of places, and have them shipped to you, which I'd honestly judge as worth it. The ONLY pair of steel blues I've had that didn't last for a minimum of three years daily wear(and I mean in good condition, not ratty-and-falling-apart-but-I'll-wear-them-anyway) was the pair I wore in the winter in the UK.

They're not made for walking through snow and ice - Australian seasons, no real need for that sort of cold-weather boot - the rubber in the soles hardens, and then cracks when you walk. But really, you shouldn't be wearing them in the snow and ice anyway, because your feet will be fucking freezing. They're made to breathe and be comfortable even when it's hot, not in the ridiculous cold.

(And even then, they survived the better part of two years before I had to replace them.)

Seriously, they're not the best boot for every job, but outside of specialty boots I'm yet to find better ones.
  • Those look awesome, no doubt about it, but I've had steel toed Timberlands (heck, even a pair of Herman Survivors) that were pretty damned durable and supporting (perhaps not AS supporting) that have lasted 5+ years for half as much money.

Not to say that those $250 boots probably aren't awesome.
  • Strongly considering it. The only downside is I actually do walk to work in the frozen-ass Canadian wilderness (lol it's like twenty minutes down the road) so if these don't do cold so well that's a problem, and I'd be a bit silly to lug them around while wearing my normal shoes on the walk there.
  • edited November 2012
    Those look awesome, no doubt about it, but I've had steel toed Timberlands (heck, even a pair of Herman Survivors) that were pretty damned durable and supporting (perhaps not AS supporting) that have lasted 5+ years for half as much money.

Not to say that those $250 boots probably aren't awesome.
    Fair, but I'd gauge the demands of my "Daily wear" to be somewhat higher than yours, with any one pair of boots I own having been through chem-hazards, welding, grinding, and other metalwork, painting, running, kitchens and bars, fighting, mechanic shops, fabrication workshops, marine(water, not Oorah) environments, etc, etc. I don't just wear these things for show, y'know.

I owned a pair of timberlands once, and they fell apart within a year. They had a good run, I won't deny, and they were comfortable - but I'm afraid they just couldn't hack it.

Also, $250? Not sure where you're pulling that figure from, most places I know of - and considering my family has been doing business with half of them for the last 15 years, that's near on all of them - have the portlands for everywhere between $150 to $200, most resting at around $170 or $180. The same price range as reasonably comparable timberland boots.

I don't mean to be down on you, mups. I've just put a lot of miles into a lot of boots, in half the brands available, including timberland.
    Strongly considering it. The only downside is I actually do walk to work in the frozen-ass Canadian wilderness (lol it's like twenty minutes down the road) so if these don't do cold so well that's a problem, and I'd be a bit silly to lug them around while wearing my normal shoes on the walk there.
    That's a fair point, to be honest. I have spoken to them about the cold-weather problem before, and I don't know if they've reformulated their sole rubber since 2007, so I'll have to give one of the reps a call and find out.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2012
    I wasn't picking on you, just trying to give a thrifty-er alternative. If he's mainly using it for kitchen work he'll probably get away with Tims or Hermans (although I think this is a Walmart brand, so...).

I got the $250 figure by clicking the "find stores" link on the product page you linked and lifting the prices from the online retailers I found.

While I'm not quite as close to a personification of Wolverine as you seem to be, I definitely do not wear my work boots for show. My full time job is a desk job, though, so they don't get worn as often as they might.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited November 2012
    I wasn't picking on you, just trying to give a thrifty-er alternative. If he's mainly using it for kitchen work he'll probably get away with Tims or Hermans (although I think this is a Walmart brand, so...).

I got the $250 figure by clicking the "find stores" link on the product page you linked and lifting the prices from the online retailers I found.
    Fair point. I only know retailers in Brisbane, unless you count chains, in which case I only know the Brisbane-based franchises.

If you looked at the link for BOC safety(I didn't, I don't buy from there) they're certainly pretty expensive.
    While I'm not quite as close to a personification of Wolverine as you seem to be, I definitely do not wear my work boots for show. My full time job is a desk job, though, so they don't get worn as often as they might.
    Hey, I was never in a production of The Boy from Oz. And to be fair, half that shit comes from hobbies and side-projects, rather than paid work, though I'm no slouch at making a dollar when I have to.

I must admit, I have respect for desk jobs, unlike a lot of people with my skill-sets. I can't do them myself, it'd drive me mad in a week, it takes serious mental fortitude to work all cooped up in an office like that.
    Post edited by Churba on