This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• If drugs turned me into someone who actually got shit done, I'm not morally opposed.
  • Isn't Adderall a stimulant?
  • edited November 2012
    I accidentally the whole thread.
    Isn't Adderall a stimulant?
    Yes
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Who's Tuesday, and why does the insomniac care if someone slept with him/her?
    Shit, I just noticed that typo. I meant to say since.
  • Goddamn Xbox, can't you download Skyrim faster?
    Yeah. It and some similar ADHD meds are basically just low doses of various kinds of methamphetamine.
  • Does that include Concerta? I was on that until a couple months ago.
  • I'm actually on an anti-depressant for my ADD, and a mood stabilizer for my temporal-lobe epilepsy (it doesn't give me traditional seizures, but rather auditory hallucinations, and that diagnosis is being questioned by my new neurologist). I've been on psych meds for significantly longer than I've been diagnosed with mental illness.
    Yeah. It and some similar ADHD meds are basically just low doses of various kinds of methamphetamine.
    This is incorrect.

Concerta and Ritalin are formulations of methylphenidate. Adderall is dextroamphetamine and mixed amphetamine salts; that is, the mixed racemates of the amphetamine molecule. Amphetamine and methylphenidates are both fairly addictive, but methamphetamine is a methoxylated substituted amphetamine, and is extremely addictive due to the chemistry of that particular molecule. Methylphenidate is also a substituted amphetamine, but its activity is different and it is less addictive; this is due to a more chemically complex substitution.

Methamphetamine is not available in the United States as a prescription medication, and saying that any ADD/ADHD drug is "basically...methamphetamine" has certain connotations pharmacologically, medically, and culturally that are patently untrue.

N.B.: I don't take Adderall or Concerta recreationally or medically, but my inner biochemist was chafing.
  • I stand corrected.
    This is incorrect.

Concerta and Ritalin are formulations of methylphenidate. Adderall is dextroamphetamine and mixed amphetamine salts; that is, the mixed racemates of the amphetamine molecule. Amphetamine and methylphenidates are both fairly addictive, but methamphetamine is a methoxylated substituted amphetamine, and is extremely addictive due to the chemistry of that particular molecule. Methylphenidate is also a substituted amphetamine, but its activity is different and it is less addictive; this is due to a more chemically complex substitution.

Methamphetamine is not available in the United States as a prescription medication, and saying that any ADD/ADHD drug is "basically...methamphetamine" has certain connotations pharmacologically, medically, and culturally that are patently untrue.

N.B.: I don't take Adderall or Concerta recreationally or medically, but my inner biochemist was chafing.
    I am in awe of your ability to keep all of those names straight. I had difficulty just reading that out loud.
  • edited November 2012
    I stand corrected.
    Sorry. I learned waaaaay too much about substituted amphetamines during my toxicology course last year. Though, in general, the chemistry and pharmacokinetics of all the tryptamines and phenethylamines are really interesting.
    I am in awe of your ability to keep all of those names straight. I had difficulty just reading that out loud.
    Become a scientist. Join our ranks.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also, the standard recommendations against using any medication that you're not prescribed for stand - so don't take Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, or any of the other ADHD-medication stimulants unless you've talked to your doctor and agreed that you need them prescribed in order to focus.
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah. Adderall will actually fuck you up hardcore after too much recreational use. Like, pancreatic and neurological damage. It's also crazy addictive, which is saying something considering that meth manages to be even more addictive than normal speed.
  • I am in awe of your ability to keep all of those names straight. I had difficulty just reading that out loud.
    The only science I would consider majoring in is Physics. Sciences that extend to far away from math end up annoying me, mostly because I'm not good at them.
  • I am in awe of your ability to keep all of those names straight. I had difficulty just reading that out loud.
    The only science I would consider majoring in is Physics. Sciences that extend to far away from math end up annoying me, mostly because I'm not good at them.
    Biology would piss you right off. It's the king of "this happens because it does."

• Become a scientist. Join our ranks.

• Just lost my alpha squad in Xcom while going after a landed supply ship due to absolute bullshit.

In Ironman mode.

Goddamnitsomuch.
  • Just lost my alpha squad in Xcom while going after a landed supply ship due to absolute bullshit Xcom.
    Biology would piss you right off. It's the king of "this happens because it does."
    Yeah, Biology class was one of the few times in high school where I was ever truly lost. Also, Chem is troublesome right now. But, once I take my final, I'll be done with it and move onto 1.17 years of sweet, sweet calc-based Physics.
  • Because it's a national holiday, my work VPN is being flaky.
  • Yeah, Biology class was one of the few times in high school where I was ever truly lost. Also, Chem is troublesome right now. But, once I take my final, I'll be done with it and move onto 1.17 years of sweet, sweet calc-based Physics.
    It's nice to know that people who do the type of science I'm bad at are in turn bad at my sciences!
  • Yeah, Biology class was one of the few times in high school where I was ever truly lost. Also, Chem is troublesome right now. But, once I take my final, I'll be done with it and move onto 1.17 years of sweet, sweet calc-based Physics.
    It's nice to know that people who do the type of science I'm bad at are in turn bad at my sciences!
    Same!
  • Biology flusters me far more than chemistry does, but that's mostly because Biology has a lot of stuff you just have to accept as a given without knowing the complete mechanism for it (at least, I think so).
  • I only ever did high school bio/chem. I guess I took a chemistry class in college but it wasn't anything higher than that. I was pretty bored with both, but that says nothing to me about which one I had more trouble with.
  • I frigging love factor/label method, which I think is called dimensional analysis now. I get a perverse joy from writing and solving those problems.
  • edited November 2012
    Biology flusters me far more than chemistry does, but that's mostly because Biology has a lot of stuff you just have to accept as a given without knowing the complete mechanism for it (at least, I think so).
    The thing about biology is that our resolution is limited by our techniques, so eventually you hit a point where you can say something happens with as close to certainty as science gets, but you won't be able to say why that thing happens unless you develop new equipment and methods to investigate just that thing. Then that process takes decades, and then you know exactly how something works, but then you realize that something isn't working like it should be. At that point, you have a new subject to study, and the process continues.

That's where we are right now in terms of the Na+/K+ dependent ATPase ion pump, and why water can move into xenopus oocytes. We figured out that the pump exists to control water movement and ion concentrations, and that was great, until we realized that water moves through membranes without aquaporins--and that shouldn't be possible.

I LOVE BIOLOGY, GUYS~
  • I hate math. I love biology.