This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• A translator in my scanlation group found it necessary to take his laptop into his pool. And then Murphy's Law struck again.
    edited August 2009
    All I know is that I was hitting X to delete which seems absolutely retarded when I have a DELETE key on my keyboard. :P
    Then why didn't you use the Del key (it works in vim, what clone did you use?)? Also, you shouldn't be using X or Del when deleting more than a few characters in vi.

EDIT:
    And then Murphy's Law struck again.
    Murphy's Law didn't strike. Just evolution at work. Did he use flippy-floppies to hold it afloat?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Murphy's Law didn't strike. Just evolution at work. Did he use flippy-floppies to hold it afloat?
    No. He was holding it while laying on a pool bed. Then his friend jumped into the pool and the subsequent wave tossed him over.
  • I listened to the whole of this and the second and the third, fail
  • edited August 2009
    I listened to the whole of this and the second and the third, fail
    It's like a train wreck. You just can't stop looking, or in this case, listening.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    It's like a train wreck. You just can't stop looking, or in this case, listening.
    At least I know I'm not the only one who listened to the whole thing.
    At least I know I'm not the only one who listened to the whole thing.
    I just started a minute ago. Let see how long it will be before I...

FUCK THIS SHIT! No way. Horrible!
  • Had a 1 hour interview with a potential employer who was willing to give me a job which would have doubled my salary prior to production bonuses only to find that she needed me to be able to do all types of orthopaedic surgery without somebody looking over my shoulder (which I would be fine with but have not done). She was on the very verge of signing me on.

What a freaking tease, anyhow the job hunt continues and I'm becoming super aware of what I'm buying, how much I'm spending when, where, bills etc.

Being jobless makes me feel insecure!
  • edited August 2009
    Fail of the weekend. On Friday, someone broke into our apartment. We can't pinpoint a time, but it might've happened when we were all at work or sleeping in our bedrooms. The latter is even scarier.They only took Jed's laptop. Maybe because they heard us or maybe because that all they needed. Strange when there so much else lying around. (Wallets, handhelds, jewelery, DVD's) The whole thing was made Jed angry and down, but left me scared. It reminds me of the old neighborhood.

Another fail was when my friends came over and we were going to a club. Going out on the town is always a cheer up, but it was 21 + only and some were only 20. We made the best of it by walking around Dupont Circle yelling at folks and going to the all night cafe and bookstore. It was a fun fail.

I totally recommend the death by chocolate cake at Kramerbooks in Dupont. It's only all night on the weekend though.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm becoming super aware of what I'm buying, how much I'm spending when, where, bills etc.
    Being jobless makes me feel insecure!
    I recently felt your pain. I am usually a spend thrift and keep tight reigns on my money, but I found that knowing every detail of my finances, my projected budget, etc. eased the insecurity because I had all the information and a plan of action. I hope you find something soon!
  • edited August 2009
    I've been chatting to some of my American comrades(US Flight Attendants, in other words) and discovered the sort of treatment they receive - I'd heard rumblings of it before, but I'd never had a direct, blow by blow rundown before. I'm talking 14.8 hour shifts with no breaks and no meals, pay that's barely above the poverty line - anyone else remember when it made the front page of the NY times that Many flight attendants were actually so poorly paid that they applied for food stamps, and got them? - and it's frankly disgusting.

The American Transport worker's union aren't just asleep at the wheel, they've napped out, slumped into pushing the throttle wide open, and they're heading for a bridge pylon.

We're the firefighters, the police(we even get to handcuff people), the Paramedics, Nannys, and a hundred things besides. Everyone is all up and supporting the passenger's bill of rights, but for the people who keep them safe, secure, happy, fed and watered? Nobody gives a fuck, because they've got their rights, and they have someone on hand who as far as they're concerned, is employed entirely to keep them fat, dumb and fucking happy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Fail of the weekend. On Friday, someone broke into our apartment. We can't pinpoint a time, but it might've happened when we were all at work or sleeping in our bedrooms. The latter is even scarier.They only took Jed's laptop. Maybe because they heard us or maybe because that all they needed. Strange when there so much else lying around. (Wallets, handhelds, jewelery, DVD's) The whole thing was made Jed angry and down, but left me scared. It reminds me of the old neighborhood.
    This reminded me of the house I rented when I first moved into Sydney, I woke up one weekday morning to find for some reason that my electric toothbrush was missing then I went downstairs and found that my housemate's monitor was missing, with the kitchen window open and foot marks all over the floor.
    I had work to do so I continued to get ready and the cops knocked on the door asking if there had been anything unusual recently, as the night before, my neighbours had called about kids jumping into the backyard.

I was actually in my house sleeping while I got robbed, when the kids saw me they must have freaked and ran off. It didn't take too long for me to move to a nicer area!
  • edited August 2009
    A piece of legislation signed into effect by President Hamid Karzai gives married women that would refuse sexual intercourse with their husbands the option of starvation or rape.
    Why are we propping up this man up? Is his competition really any worse than he is?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • A piece of legislation signed into effect by President Hamid Karzai gives married women that would refuse sexual intercourse with their husbands the option ofstarvation or rape.
    Why are we propping up this man up? Is his competition really any worse than he is?
    Probably not but this what you get for declaring war and bombing the crap out of a specific country hoping to destroy a non country specific terrorist group and filling the puppet government with cowardly US puppets. The US Government doesn't really learn from its own history.
  • A piece of legislation signed into effect by President Hamid Karzai gives married women that would refuse sexual intercourse with their husbands the option ofstarvation or rape.
    Probably not but this what you get for declaring war and bombing the crap out of a specific country hoping to destroy a non country specific terrorist group and filling the puppet government with cowardly US puppets. The US Government doesn't really learn from its own history.
    While I am certainly not pleased with the handling of the war in Afghanistan, let's recall that Afghanistan has been a war zone on and off for a quarter century and that it was the soviet war that paved the way for religious extremists in that area.
  • Other cultures are pretty wacky from our perspective.
  • Other cultures are pretty wacky from our perspective.
    Yeah, it is really "wacky" when they treat girls and women like chattel.
  • Yeah, it is really "wacky" when they treat girls and women like chattel.
    You jumped in before I could bring up my argument-winner of FGM. That was my hammer of Thor against anyone who put forth cultural relativism in my seminar classes at RIT.
    You jumped in before I could bring up my argument-winner of FGM. That was my hammer of Thor against anyone who put forth cultural relativism in my seminar classes at RIT.
    I was about to make an incredibly tasteless extended joke about "wacky" FGM doctors, but I refrained.

I'm 100% comfortable with point at another culture and saying, "That is wrong."
    Yeah, I chose not to go to the FGM because I think the "rape or starve" issue is fairly equivalent and should be equally unacceptable. Almost every session the General Assembly of Model UN I participated in during high school always touched on FGM and I was never the one to bring it up (I represented Cuba, so it wasn't the first topic on my discussion list).
    Would you prefer "abhorrent?"

I mean we're talking about a country that addresses their president as "His Islamic Excellency The Honourable Hamid Karzai." Maybe he's being moderate. What if the conservatives wanted FGM to be the punishment?

Fear of the wrath of God does crazy things to people.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, it is really "wacky" when they treat girls and women like chattel.
    Would you prefer "abhorrent?"
    I mean we're talking about a country that addresses their president as "His Islamic Excellency The Honourable Hamid Karzai." Maybe he's being moderate. What if the conservatives wanted FGM to be the punishment?
    Fear of the wrath of God does crazy things to people.
    Honestly, I would prefer abhorrent because this topic is reverential to me. The thing is, they are mutilating women, raping them outside of marriage and then killing the woman rather than punish the man, starving them, keeping them uneducated, etc. regardless of these laws. The laws legitimize this treatment of women, leave the women with no recourse, and prevent the breakdown of such viewpoints and treatment as it is now codified.
    Karzai signed the measure to win favor from the extremists for the election. He basically sold women to keep power.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Honestly, I would prefer abhorrent because this topic is reverential to me. The thing is, they are mutilating women, raping them outside of marriage and then killing the woman rather than punish the man, starving them, keeping them uneducated, etc. regardless of these laws. The laws legitimize this treatment of women, leave the women with no recourse, and prevent the breakdown of such treatment as it is now codified.
    So should we over throw the government...again?
  • Honestly, I would prefer abhorrent because this topic is reverential to me. The thing is, they are mutilating women, raping them outside of marriage and then killing the woman rather than punish the man, starving them, keeping them uneducated, etc. regardless of these laws. The laws legitimize this treatment of women, leave the women with no recourse, and prevent the breakdown of such treatment as it is now codified.
    So should we over throw the government...again?
    Did I suggest that? I was questioning the U.S.'s support for Karzai whose record is less than stellar in championing human rights, stopping the drug trade, ending bribery and corruption in the government, etc.
  • edited August 2009
    For a couple of minutes a few minutes ago, my access to almost all international web sites (everything I tried except Google, and yes I tried google.com specifically rather than google.com.au) was lost. Australian sites kept working, and I didn't have time to try anything esoteric. There won't be that much information on it since it's 5:29am here and http://whirlpool.net.au/, which is the place for this kind of thing, is showing up as blank. Something major happened somewhere down the line; I think the chances are my ISP's DNS fucked up big time. It is, however, an appropriate time for jokes (or conspiracy theories) about Australia's proposed "Internet Filter".
    EDIT: It was my ISP, but it was just maintenance. Also, yes, a couple of minutes is big time
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • My ISP, Virgin Media, has started redirecting missing domains to it's own search. Not cool.
    RIP Sen. Ted Kennedy (1932-2009)
  • pic
    RIP Sen. Ted Kennedy (1932-2009)
    -bows head in solemn silence- He will sorely be missed in the world of politics.
  • So I can't get plates for my camaro because it has no emissions test and the previous owner already got the 30 day temporary extension. And I can't get an emissions test done because the car has no reverse gear. Epic fail.
  • I told you, get a BMW! Yet you had to be stubborn and talk about Camaro's being easier. :p

j/k, that sucks though. What the hell happened to the reverse gear?