This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• My friend got layed off his job. :(
  • Do you ever feel like you are filled with fail even if your day wasn't a fail?
  • Do you ever feel like you are filled with fail even if your day wasn't a fail?
    Pretty much all the time.
  • edited August 2009
    As a favor to an attorney in the office whose paralegal was out today, I worked on a last minute project most of the day. At the point I had half of it ready for UPS I was informed that the attorney cited a case incorrectly and all of it would have to be re-done. I informed him there was no possible way to get it in the overnight mail today because no overtime is being approved, and even if overtime was possible it would be unlikely we would get it to UPS in time. He then shouted at me for a lack of commitment. As he began to lecture me, I just walked into my office and closed my door before he could follow me. The project remains in the workroom, unfinished.
    There is one redeeming aspect to the situation. I e-mailed the Managing partner to inform him of the situation. He said he would take over the project and "have a frank discussion" with the fitful attorney.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • He said he would take over the project and "have a frank discussion" with the fitful attorney.
    That sounds like a win to me.
  • He said he would take over the project and "have a frank discussion" with the fitful attorney.
    That sounds like a win to me.
    Yeah, my bigger issue is that I delayed my work in order to help him out and he has the audacity to blame and embarrass me for his mistake. I really want to be helpful and it hurts when my efforts are unappreciated.
  • Yeah, my bigger issue is that I delayed my work in order to help him out and he has the audacity to blame and embarrass me for his mistake. I really want to be helpful and it hurts when my efforts are unappreciated.
    Yeah, I totally understand, that really sucks. Hopefully, you come out of this one ahead.
  • Boyfriend's position at work basically got downsized today. He got his last check with vacation pay. He worked at the apartment complex we live at. We don't know how long we are able to stay here. This is all practically BS. All right before PAX. Good times!

We're still planning on going to PAX since everything is pretty much already paid for.

FUCK. *sigh*
  • Oh shit, Ro! Everything will work out, I know it. But man, that's so lame.
  • Oh shit, Ro! Everything will work out, I know it. But man, that's so lame.
    Thanks. We're alright for most part, and we're not going to let it ruin our time at PAX! Just need to make some adjustments here and there.
  • Boyfriend's position at work basically got downsized today. He got his last check with vacation pay. He worked at the apartment complex we live at. We don't know how long we are able to stay here. This is all practically BS. All right before PAX. Good times!

We're still planning on going to PAX since everything is pretty much already paid for.

FUCK. *sigh*
    Oh no! That sucks.

If it helps, I just put your present in the mail today. Hope it fits. :)
  • If it helps, I just put your present in the mail today. Hope it fits. :)
    That is the THING OF MY DAY! Yay! I'm so excited.
  • My dad's department of sensor development at Kodak just got closed down and most of the people got laid off...including him.
    He has a masters in electrical engineering and many image sensor patents to his name. He's a capable programmer and a really nice guy.
    And now, after 25 years there, he has no job.
  • edited August 2009
    My dad's department of sensor development at Kodak just got closed down and most of the people got laid off...including him.
    He has a masters in electrical engineering and many image sensor patents to his name. He's a capable programmer and a really nice guy.
    My Mom was an HR and Financial Manager for a company that decided to shut down their Rochester area plant. Her last day was two weeks ago. I am so sorry, Emily. I hope your Dad finds something soon.
  • Damn, it's the Rochester economy. I am sorry for your mom, too.

Heh, maybe my dad and your mom can make a start-up company.
  • edited August 2009
    My mother's company moved all of their U.S. plants to Mexico. Rochester was the most cost efficient (a glut of engineers for reasonable pay) and was the last to be closed down for that reason. The new President of the company that came in from the mother corporation and knew nothing about the industry decided that he would move the plants to Mexico for a cost savings. The problem with his plan is that they can't find the skilled labor and high standards that they had in the U.S. The company is now attempting to recruit former employees from the U.S. plants to move to Mexico for a quarter of their previous wages.
    Unemployment is high in almost every corner of the U.S.
  • The problem with his plan is that they can't find the skilled labor and high standards that they had in the U.S.
    That's the one thing that will eventually even out the outsourcing problem. You send jobs overseas when they're unskilled and temporally independent. You keep jobs in US cities when you need a value-add of any kind.

I honestly believe that, in the long run, outsourcing is going to bring more skilled jobs into the US, at the expense of unskilled manual labor. Of course, the long run is a long way out, and short-sighted management, working in the interests of short-sighted investors, are doing what they do...
  • ters in electrical engineering and many image sensor patents to his name. He's a capable programmer and a really nice guy.
    I am so sorry to hear that Emily, and I wish your father luck in finding another job.
  • The last episode of Reading Rainbow airs today.
  • The last episode ofReading Rainbowairs today.
    *Sheds a single man tear*
  • edited August 2009
    That is a coincidence. Just a few days ago Reading Rainbow came up in conversation and I said "I hope Reading Rainbow or a show like it is around for my child."
    My hopes are dashed.
  • At least we still have Sesame Street.
  • That is a coincidence. Just a few days agoReading Rainbowcame up in conversation and I said "I hopeReading Rainbowor a show like it is around for my child."
    My hopes are dashed.
    That's what you get for not reproducing in your teens :-p
  • edited August 2009
    That's what you get for not reproducing in your teens :-p
    I think little River or Liam will be worse off for my choice to wait until I am financially comfortable, more mature, and achieved my personal goals so that I could provide them with an emotionally and financially stable household. They would have fared far better with a television show about reading books that I could have afforded to purchase if I had only waited. You are absolutely correct. ^_~
    That is so sad, I mean I (and I bet a bunch of people on this forum) have grown up on this show and it will be sad to see this show ending today. They had better do a damn good show and make it memorable.
    That is so sad, I mean I (and I bet a bunch of people on this forum) have grown up on this show and it will be sad to see this show ending today. They had better do a damn good show and make it memorable.
    Actually, the last episode apparently aired a long time ago. This is the last rerun they're airing before they remove it from the network.
  • Planned on calling this girl sometime this past week, as I met her last Friday, before classes started. "Sometime" became tonight, and I have neither the courage to call nor any idea what a first date should be. It's 6:39 here.

Well, fuck.
  • Planned on calling this girl sometime this past week, as I met her last Friday, before classes started. "Sometime" became tonight, and I have neither the courage to call nor any idea what a first date should be. It's 6:39 here.

Well, fuck.
    Call her tonight to make plans for a picnic or brunch tomorrow followed by whatever activities you are both interested in (museums, a movie, a walk in a park, etc.)
  • edited August 2009
    If you die tomorrow and nothing matters, would you have prefered to have called her or not?

In short:
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Twice in one week. Well posted.