This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• @ loltsundere: It is incredibly frustrating when people that provide a service see those seeking their service as a nuisance. I can't believe she didn't offer to send out another card, or at least attempt to re-confirm that the card was sent out to the correct address. I hope your card shows up or that you encounter a more helpful person when you go to the library.
    Sheesh. Even when I have a rough day, I go out of my way to be cheerful and helpful with even the most aggravating of callers.
  • Not to mention, French public transport still sucks.
    Seriously, haven't they ever heard of a line?
  • While my boss isn't exactly my hero, he has always seemed like a decent guy. Today my image of him completely changed. For the past two years we have had a seasonal intern that works in the office. She is barely 22 and is an accounting student that worked here part time during the school year. She is a hard worker, a kind person and is a petite, attractive blond. My boss decided that during meetings with his staff (all female support staff in a firm with all male attorneys) that he would make jokes about how hot she is and how if he were not married, he would have had his way with her right there in the office. I would like to point out that the girl is younger than his own daughter and he made these comments during a business meeting to an all female audience.
  • edited August 2009
    Can't blame you, it's Omnutia. Not to mention, French public transport still sucks.
    Wait, so an American [?] complains about Europe and there's no vitriol from Nineless. I am surprised.

@Macross: Are you thinking of confronting him about it?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I would like to point out that the girl is younger than his own daughter and he made these comments during a business meeting to an all female audience.
    All class.
  • Can't blame you, it's Omnutia. Not to mention, French public transport still sucks.
    Wait, so an American [?] complains about Europe and there's no vitriol from Nineless. I am surprised.
    Doesn't he hate the French? Perhaps his hatred of the French outweighs his hatred for the U.S. :P
  • edited August 2009
    @Macross: Are you thinking of confronting your boss about it? Failing that, we could take what you've posted and get the internet hate machine warmed up.
  • @ Mrs. MacRoss - Thanks for the sentiments. :) If I don't encounter a more helpful person, I'll persist until I do.

As for your boss.... that's kinda sickening. Some men can just be... ugh. It's gotta take a total lack of common sense to say that to a bunch of women. That sort of comment isn't even appropriate in a room full of guys. This is the office, and you're with your co-workers - not at the bar with your buddies.

I dunno if she was in that day or what, but what would've happened if she'd happened to hear him?
  • I would like to point out that the girl is younger than his own daughter and he made these comments during a business meeting to an all female audience.
    All class.
    Eh, she was asking for it.

Yeah, I can't exactly see that going over well.
  • edited August 2009
    @Macross: Are you thinking of confronting your boss about it?
    I was not in the meeting, but all accounts from everyone attending the meeting corroborate the story. I am also not in a financial position where I could risk this job.
    If I were there, I would have immediately walked out and contacted my Mother (an HR and Financial Manager) to find out information on the federal and state employment and harassment laws followed by my personal attorney.
    The intern was not in the office as she recently finished her degree and has a full time job elsewhere.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2009
    Bide your time, then depose him in a single act, Akira Hojo style (Though with less shooting in the head.).

On a more serious note, you could gather the staff and confront him as a group in some fashion. The confrontation needn't be adverse; Just kindly informing him what he said wasn't received well might be enough to give him cause for thought.
  • edited August 2009
    As for your boss.... that's kinda sickening. Some men can just be... ugh. It's gotta take a total lack of common sense to say that to a bunch of women. That sort of comment isn't even appropriate in a room full of guys. This is the office, and you're with your co-workers - not at the bar with your buddies.
    That depends highly on the group of guys.

...Just saying.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • That sort of comment isn't even appropriate in a room full of guys.
  • Bide your time, then depose him in a single act, Akira Hojo style (Though with less shooting in the head.).

On a more serious note, you could gather the staff and confront him as a group in some fashion. The confrontation needn't be adverse; Just kindly informing him what he said wasn't received well might be enough to give him cause for thought.
    I doubt this will be an isolated incident. He has talked (a little too openly) about his marriage and other personal information that wasn't exactly appropriate in meetings before. He is obviously escalating. When it happens again I will likely be there and I will speak up.
    As for getting the ladies in the office to confront him, I think it is fairly unlikely. They all fear for their jobs (many of them are single mothers) and he owns the business.
  • I was actually talking about getting the whole staff together. You should probably bide your time though.
  • @Mrs. MacRoss: Have you tried convincing the witnesses to report him to the EEOC anonymously? It may come to nothing, but it would at least be on the record.
  • edited August 2009
    That sort of comment isn't even appropriate in a room full of guys.

...Just saying.
    This is the office, and you're with your co-workers - not at the bar with your buddies.
    Respond to the whole post next time.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • @Mrs. MacRoss: Have you tried convincing the witnesses to report him to the EEOC anonymously? It may come to nothing, but it would at least be on the record.
    That is a good idea. I will talk to them.
  • Respond to the whole post next time.
    Fine.
  • edited August 2009
    @ gedavids: There is no group of people (male or female) that would make those statements appropriate in the workplace.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • That depends highly on the group of guys.
    Just because it's socially accepted doesn't mean it's appropriate.

As a more entertaining option, you could just tell his wife and watch the hilarity ensue.
  • @ gdavids: Respond as if you had read and thought about the whole post next time, how's that?

You don't say that kind of stuff in the workplace, period.
  • @ gdavids: Respondas if you had read and thought aboutthe whole post next time, how's that?

I have to agree. Whatever happened to the professionalism episode? Sounds like the boss should listen to it.
  • @ gedavids: There is no group of people (male or female) that would make those statements appropriate in the workplace.
    Yes, there are.
    Just because it's socially accepted doesn't mean it's appropriate.
    I find this interesting. Shouldn't socially acceptable dictate appropriate?
    @ gdavids: Respondas if you had read and thought aboutthe whole post next time, how's that?
    I did read the whole post. I thought it easier to quote that one bit to make the point I wanted to make.
    Some places people (guys mostly) do say these things.

Look I know y'all like to think the world is equal rights and respect, but it isn't. One place I worked my coworker was talking about all the pot he smoked over the weekend. Different offices have vastly different level of maturity and formality. Comments like the one made by Mrs. MacRoss' boss could get you in super deep trouble where I work, but at other jobs I've worked it wouldn't have mattered.
  • Look I know y'all like to think the world is equal rights and respect, but it isn't. One place I worked my coworker was talking about all the pot he smoked over the weekend. Different offices have vastly different level of maturity and formality. Comments like the one made by Mrs. MacRoss' boss could get you in super deep trouble where I work, but at other jobs I've worked it wouldn't have mattered.
    This is not about the ideal world, this is about the real world. That kind of discussion is never appropriate. Even if it appears like those comments are acceptable to the audience they are said to, there is no guarantee that everyone in that group would not take offense. Moreover, it sets a tone that bleeds over into other aspects of doing business (hiring, firing, how one treats female v. male employees, etc.) Most importantly, the law makes it pretty clear that that speech is never appropriate nor acceptable in any situation regardless of audience.
  • I work in an extremely casual office, and if someone said something like that about one of the women here, no one would think it was funny.

Sexual harassment is serious business, whether you decide to accept that or not. It's not about equal rights and respect, it's about "Oh shit, I just opened my fool mouth and now I'm being sued". Making overtly sexual comments about a female co-worker is a STUPID thing to do in any office. You're stupid if you ever think that you're in a comfortable enough position to talk about having sex with a co-worker who's half your age, or doing drugs, setting stuff on fire, etc. at the office. Just because people in your super-cool workplaces did this stuff doesn't mean that it's a-okay OR intelligent.
  • Just because people in your super-cool workplaces did this stuff doesn't mean that it's a-okay OR intelligent.
    I didn't say...wait a minute.
    I work in an extremely casual office, and if someone said something like that about one of the women here, no one would think it was funny.

Sexual harassment is serious business, whether you decide to accept that or not. It's not about equal rights and respect, it's about "Oh shit, I just opened my fool mouth and now I'm being sued". Making overtly sexual comments about a female co-worker is a STUPID thing to do in any office. You're stupid if you ever think that you're in a comfortable enough position to talk about having sex with a co-worker who's half your age, or doing drugs, setting stuff on fire, etc. at the office. Just because people in your super-cool workplaces did this stuff doesn't mean that it's a-okay OR intelligent.
    I didn't say it was okay, but the point I'm trying to make here is that appropriate is relative to the space and the people.

Alright, I've had enough of this devil's advocate crap. Irony is that I always found it extremely awkward at these "super-cool" places when my coworkers would say things along these lines.
  • Attempts to be a smartass
    lol
    Most importantly, the law makes it pretty clear that that speech is never appropriate nor acceptable in any situation regardless of audience.
    I like how you completely failed to respond to this, which brings up the fact that no matter how casual the office, that sort of behavior can certainly get you in trouble with the law.
  • I like how you completely failed to respond to this, which brings up the fact that no matter how casual the office, that sort of behavior can certainly get you in trouble with the law.
    Yes, the brilliant point that you didn't make. What does the law matter if no one reports anything? So it's illegal, big deal. So is speeding.
  • edited August 2009
    Am I supposed to care that I didn't make that point? It's allegedly brilliant, so is that why you didn't even attempt to respond to it at first? That'd be my guess, given your agonizingly weak argument.
    What does the law matter if no one reports anything? So it's illegal, big deal. So is murder.
    What does the law matter if no one reports anything? So it's illegal, big deal. So is rape.
    That's a totally awesome way to look at following/breaking the law. Lol.
    Post edited by loltsundere on