This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Tumblr has meth bloggers.

Sure, why not.
  • My IT organization reorganized, getting rid of my boss and my boss's boss who were more like workers who just had people they "managed". So that leaves me supporting about 6 sites with no backup (since those two were at the sites) and it's been now 2 weeks and I've gotten no short term plan for support or even a phone call from my new boss... (though I was told that headcount hasn't changed and they were hiring people) Well I know I have a job at least, just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.
  • edited October 2015
    I have driven nine hours one way between Kentucky and Pennsylvania twice now. I'm sick of highways, I'm sick of driving, I'm sick of vehicles. I'm tired and frustrated, and I have to be at my new post (which I'm not so sure I want to continue working this job anymore) at 7 AM tomorrow.

Also the hotel my girlfriend and I stayed at didn't have wifi. I left a tepid review.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • 9 hours one way? Pshaw.

I drove from Poughkeepsie to Lansing solo, and two days later from Detroit to Wildwood. I'd leave Rochester at around 11pm to drive to Sterling Heights through the night every few weekends, returning Sunday. I made the drive from Fishkill to Rochester on a bi-monthly basis (the twice a month kind of bi-monthly).

I used to drive 70 minutes each way to work in Yonkers/Bronx every singly day.

I put 150k miles on my last car in a few years. =(
  • One time I left Rochester so late that I pulled over into a farm field and slept in my car until sunup, then drove straight into work.
  • Rym said:

Is New York really worth that?
  • Nope. Not by a wide margin.
  • My longest drive without stops was 11 hours. Maybe 12. From Ohio back to CT. That was hellish. I had done the opposite trip 2 days before, too. Ugh.
  • Ikatono said:

Rym said:

Is New York really worth that?
    Yes.

It's more worth it now that I've had for many years enough income to actually live in New York instead of living an hour north of it.
  • God in my young stupid days I'd get off of work at 9pm in Wildwood NJ and drive to Buffalo NY to meet up with my girlfriend at that time. .. I was usually half deliriously when I arrived.
  • Cremlian said:

God in my young stupid days I'd get off of work at 9pm in Wildwood NJ and drive to Buffalo NY to meet up with my girlfriend at that time. .. I was usually half deliriously when I arrived.

Band of bothers.

We'd both end up in Rochester for weekends, stay waaaaay later than we should have on Sunday, and have miserable Mondays. ;^)

• Everything old is new again.
  • edited October 2015
    Okay, for real, properly maintained reel to reel IS much better than vinyl as a playback medium, but it's shit like this I don't buy.
    Incidentally, a Lee Morgan trumpet riff on tape doesn’t just sound better than a Lee Morgan trumpet riff on vinyl. It sounds better than a Lee Morgan trumpet riff on any audio format: CD, SACD, Pure Audio Blu-Ray, even Neil Young’s crazy 24-bit/192 kHZ hi-res files that take forever to download.
    If by "sounds better" they mean "is more loyal to the original performance" then that's just bullshit. Even standard red book audio CDs will sound as good as, if not better than tape because of that little thing called the nyquist theorem. BluRay Audio? Forget it: better than tape. No question. No caveats.

However, all that being said, I do want to buy a reel to reel only because, like vinyl, I like the physicality of the medium and I like old audio gear. It's why I collect old radios.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I commend you for saying that you enjoy the physicality of things instead of trying to argue that it sounds better. I feel like most self-proclaimed "audiophiles" are literally just making shit up and passing it off as fact.
  • There's a lot of good stuff about vinyl even ignoring the sound debate. I got my turntable because my parents had literally hundreds of records in the basement that we mostly didn't have on CD. Getting the turntable exposed me to In Your Ear, which remains my favorite record store in Boston, and I realized it's much easier to find weird stuff you'd never know to look for in that setting. Finding music online is a lot of "customers who liked this also liked this" and you don't get exposed to random shit like you can in a physical music store. There's some artists where vinyl is cheaper than CD or digital. I didn't realize this until I got into Leo Kottke, whose records go for five to ten dollars at any record store, but CDs go for well over that. Then there's the issue of the art of the cover itself. It's very satisfying to have that art on a 12x12 piece of card stock than it is to have it on your computer. Furthermore, you can do things with art on record covers you can't with a CD or MP3, like the zipper on Sticky Fingers (which was omitted from the reissue so I'm not sure why anyone's buying it). And then there's the obscurity factor. I've found a lot of stuff at In Your Ear that just isn't available digitally. I've got several records that were only sent to radio DJs in the 70s, and are probably never going to get a commercial release. I found the All This and World War II soundtrack, which will never get a re-release for a variety of reasons, and not only is it excellent but it introduced me to that film, which I would have never come across without that record to guide me, and is now one of my all time favorite movies.
  • Why does clicking that link make Chrome freak out about the connection not being secure?
  • Greg said:

Why does clicking that link make Chrome freak out about the connection not being secure?
    Because it links to https and we don't have an ssl certificate.
  • I think because the link has https. I'm getting the same on firefox.
  • MATATAT said:

I commend you for saying that you enjoy the physicality of things instead of trying to argue that it sounds better. I feel like most self-proclaimed "audiophiles" are literally just making shit up and passing it off as fact.

How could I possibly argue that it sounds better. I'm an audio engineer. I know better. That would be like Canon saying glass plate exposures look better than DSLRs.
  • MATATAT said:

I commend you for saying that you enjoy the physicality of things instead of trying to argue that it sounds better. I feel like most self-proclaimed "audiophiles" are literally just making shit up and passing it off as fact.

How could I possibly argue that it sounds better. I'm an audio engineer. I know better. That would be like Canon saying glass plate exposures look better than DSLRs.
    You laugh, but I've seen more than one photographer in my time who lamented the death of film for that exact reason.

• The office decided not to tell me that I'm actually going to be at a different site than the one I was training at. I get the distinct feeling they're starting to give me the runaround, especially since I had to leave a message on my area supervisor's phone.
  • Isn't that a given?
  • Greg said:

Isn't that a given?

The comments are possessed.

• Rym said:

Greg said:

Isn't that a given?

The comments are possessed.

By stupidity and brainwashing
  • Well, turns out I was fired. Be nice if they would have told me without having to go to the office, but at least now I can fire off applications in earnest.