This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I would love to just keep being around her and sort of fall into a relationship as we get more comfortable with each other,
    You've seen that XKCD.
    Yeah. Exactly. I don't want to be that guy. He's pretty creepy, when you think about it.
  • I would love to just keep being around her and sort of fall into a relationship as we get more comfortable with each other, but...The chances of that happening are not great.
    That can kinda happen, but you still usually have to man up and just kiss her at some point.
  • I would love to just keep being around her and sort of fall into a relationship as we get more comfortable with each other, but...The chances of that happening are not great.
    That cankindahappen, but you still usually have to man up and just kiss her at some point.
    Straight-up Luke Burrage that shit.
    That cankindahappen, but you still usually have to man up and just kiss her at some point.
    Straight-up Luke Burrage that shit.
    Hmmm. Go full-Burrage. Or something.

When I got together with my last girlfriend, we sort of hung out and fell into a relationship with each other. That was after me kissing her, spending a night together, then meeting up and traveling for 3 weeks together, alone, never being more than about 100m from each other that whole time. Relationships aren't something that just happen. You've got to make a move. After you've made a move, you can sort out if the relationship is on or off. But so far you ain't got shit.
  • Hmmm. Go full-Burrage. Or something.
    Courage Burrage?

• Hmmm. Go full-Burrage. Or something.
    Courage Burrage?
    When explaining how my name is pronounced, so a host of a show knows how to announce me on stage, I always say "It rhymes with courage. Burrage is said just like courage, but with a B."

More to the point, I could just say "Show you have balls. Get laid."
  • It's not having the balls, it's being able to handle them ^_~
  • This is the greatest proto-meme I've ever seen.
  • Here you go, guys, go nuts.
  • Oh shit, Courage Luke!
  • Oh shit, Courage Luke!
    Courage Burrage would also have been acceptable.
  • I just saw that a few posts above. That's even better.
  • HOLY SHIT! I just realized they added a normal god damn cell ringtone to my phone with the froyo update! Before my choices were flutey, queer sounding ring or stupid old school bell sounding ring. Now it sounds like a god damn "digital phone" as the ringtone is called.

• Floridiot minister asshole who was going to hold a koran burning on Saturday backs down.
  • Floridiot minister asshole who was going to hold a koran burning on Saturdaybacks down.
    Smart Muslim cleric tricks Floridiot minister asshole by promising something he can't affect.
  • Floridiot minister asshole who was going to hold a koran burning on Saturdaybacks down.
    I feel like this whole situation would have gone a lot better had no one ever paid attention to the guy who was going to burn the Kuran. If the country's press had as one voice said, "yeah, whatever, we have better things to do," this whole angry Muslim world thing would have never happened.
  • I don't think he realized that, by doing shit like that, he was actually fueling extremism. Or maybe that was his incredibly immoral intent. Regardless, the guy is a fucking douche.
  • He admitted he was basically holding the Koran hostage. I mean come on, that's as bad as it gets really.
  • Yeah. Don't mess with other people's sacred objects just because you can.
  • On a totally irreverent side note, this is kind of a bummer because I was gonna go up there and burn some copies of Fahrenheit 451 with some buddies whilst cooking meats.
  • On a totally irreverent side note, this is kind of a bummer because I was gonna go up there and burn some copies of Fahrenheit 451 with some buddies whilst cooking meats.
    I would have thought burning bibles across the street would have made a better point, as I doubt he or anyone at his church ever read or heard of Farenheit.
  • edited September 2010
    I would have thought burning bibles across the street would have made a better point, as I doubt he or anyone at his church ever read or heard of Farenheit.
    Are you implying these people are uncultured?

Also, I heard a snippet while getting breakfast today that the Koran burning may be back on.

EDIT: On the other hand, I'm getting a bit pissed at the Muslim world now. IT'S A FUCKING BOOK! American's don't lose their shit if a bible gets burned, and I'm almost certain many have been burned in our name over this last decade. This kind of reaction is just like everyone draw Muhammad day. Learn to not get your panties in a bunch over stupid shit. Be more laid back.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • EDIT: On the other hand, I'm getting a bit pissed at the Muslim world now. IT'S A FUCKING BOOK! Most American's don't lose their shit if a bible gets burned, and I'm almost certain many have been burned in our name over this last decade. This kind of reaction is just like everyone draw Muhammad day. Learn to not get your panties in a bunch over stupid shit. Be more laid back.
    I agree that it is completely silly to get so upset over a symbol. However, I feel that it is not just about the physical book, but that these people feel that they are being disrespected, and so they rage. This minister is doing what he does merely to raise the rabble, and once the rabble's raised, it is his own damn fault.

Also: As someone who lives in NYC:
    Dear fundamentalist Muslim terrorists,
    Would stop trying to blow us up? We are not the ones teasing you. To put it simply: you are beneath us and we don't care about you, except to chastise you politically along with the rest of the international community when you violate human rights. Please direct yourself to the nearest Koran burning Red State if you want to make a nuisance of yourself.
    Sincerely,
    Emi
  • edited September 2010
    Dear fundamentalist Muslim terrorists,
    Would stop trying to blow us up? We are not the ones teasing you. To put it simply: you are beneath us and we don't care about you, except to chastise you politically along with the rest of the international community when you violate human rights. Please direct yourself to the nearest Koran burning Red State if you want to make a nuisance of yourself.
    Sincerely,
    Emi
    Just a note, offering advice to terrorists is against the law :-p
    Offering peace advice to terrorists is illegal.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • American's don't lose their shit if a bible gets burned
    Americans lose their shit when someone burns an American flag. Is that any different?
  • EDIT: On the other hand, I'm getting a bit pissed at the Muslim world now. IT'S A FUCKING BOOK! American's don't lose their shit if a bible gets burned, and I'm almost certain many have been burned in our name over this last decade. This kind of reaction is just like everyone draw Muhammad day. Learn to not get your panties in a bunch over stupid shit. Be more laid back.
    I'm really conflicted about this situation. Yes, it's stupid to get worked up over a book. If someone accidentally spills water on a book, I don't lose my shit. Nobody should. The cartoon of Muhammed? Stop getting so goddamn worked up. You can be a bit offended, but death threats? I think not.

The book burning is different, though. It's a deliberately provocative action that is designed to elicit rage. It sends a message that you are unwanted, and might even constitute a threat. The real issue, though, is that it's not the reasonable Muslims who will be a problem; the people that the book burning will provoke are those people who are willing to take very extreme actions to prove their points.

In other words, I sort of agree with Petraeus; the book burning cannot possibly accomplish anything except encouraging more extremism, and thus more unnecessary death.

I generally say that you should fight speech with more speech, but what do we do when speech is highly likely to encourage extreme actions like this?
  • I generally say that you should fight speech with more speech, but what do we do when speech is highly likely to encourage extreme actions like this?
    Condemn it with our own speech, and show our sincerity with out actions.

The world should be the opposite of the rules of Burning Wheel. In the latter, fist immediately trumps word. In a free society, fist should never be used except against fist (or imminent fist).
  • edited September 2010
    The world should be the opposite of the rules of Burning Wheel.
    But it's not. I'm all about striving for our ideals even when we know they're impossible to achieve, but how do we rectify that with reality?

EDIT: Trigun etc. Do you let people die in order to uphold your ideals?

Yes, I am making the assumption that the Quran burning will result in violence from extremists.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I agree that it is completely silly to get so upset over a symbol. However, I feel that it is not just about the physical book, but that these people feel that they are being disrespected, and so they rage. This minister is doing what he does merely to raise the rabble, and once the rabble's raised, it is his own damn fault.
    I'm not condoning anyone here, both sides are made of fail.
    Americanslose their shitwhen someone burns an American flag. Is that any different?
    I respond to this the same way I wish the muslims would respond to the Quran burning. "I'd rather you didn't burn my flag, but it's a free country."