This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Pro tip: when using a Google website or service, and you don't know all the keyboard shortcuts, don't laugh into the microphone with the dictation software turned on. Google reader did things I didn't even know it could do, and I couldn't work out how to get back to its original configurations. In the end I close a tab and had to reopen it. I hope I don't accidentally delete the entire contents of my hard drive the next time I sneeze.
  • edited December 2010
    Pro tip: when using a Google website or service, and you don't know all the keyboard shortcuts, don't laugh into the microphone with the dictation software turned on. Google reader did things I didn't even know it could do, and I couldn't work out how to get back to its original configurations. In the end I close a tab and had to reopen it. I hope I don't accidentally delete the entire contents of my hard drive the next time I sneeze.
    Hey Luke, read this out loud: "start see em dee enter for matt see colon space slash queue"
    EDIT: nevermind, you're using a mac.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • nevermind, you're using a mac.
    arrr mmm space dash arrr space star slash star
  • Finished my app to UIUC's Synthetic Bio Competition and Research group! I'm so excited I could puke, but that would hurt, so instead: Magic Hat Encore. A celebratory name for a celebratory beverage!
  • edited December 2010
    My university's (UCF) teams are actually starting to win games now. We're conference champs in CUSA (not a very competitive conference, but baby steps) in football and undefeated in basketball (just beat UF). I wish this would have happened 2 - 3 years ago when I still cared.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Finally finished my complete organization of computer files. Rounded up all of my files from old computers and externals. All music properly tagged with album art. Lastly, got all of my photos & documents from the past 10 years organized, as well as backed up many years worth of gmail through Thunderbird, and backed it all up in the cloud with a Carbonite account. Digital nirvana!
  • So, PETA made a rip-off of Super Meat Boy called Super Tofu Boy - since apparently, the very existence of meat in any form offends their sensibilities - where Meat Boy is the Villain. The Super Meat Boy team's Primary response to the situation?

They also apparently made a blog post about the situation, but their site is absolutely slammed right now, and I can't get to it.
  • They also apparently made a blog post about the situation, but their site is absolutely slammed right now, and I can't get to it.
    The post amounts to "I've got nothing against vegetarians, but PETA kinda sucks. Thanks for the tons of free publicity, though. Also, Meat Boy is just a boy without any skin."
  • edited December 2010
    The post amounts to "I've got nothing against vegetarians, but PETA kinda sucks. Thanks for the tons of free publicity, though. Also, Meat Boy is just a boy without any skin."
    PETA is annoying. Don't they have anything better to do than worry about a hypothetical sentient meat in a video game? Lame.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Don't they have anything better to do than worry about a hypothetical sentient meat in a video game? Lame.
    That's the thing!He's just a dude without any skin. He's not a meat advocate, or anything else like that, he's just called meat boy, because he has no skin, and you can see his meat.
  • edited December 2010
    They're made of meat.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Wait.. you mean we're meat all the way through? Even the thinking parts?
  • Wait.. you mean we're meat all the way through? Even the thinking parts?
    Yes. And they make sound by flapping and squirting air through their meat.
  • It's meat all the way down.
  • So two big quesitons here:

- Did PETA ever protest Aqua Teen Hunger Force for its portrayal of Meatwad?

- Is this Super Tofu Boy game actually any good? It seems like a no-brainer "god no it's horrible" question but hey you never know. If it was good I'd still play it.
  • I knew that PETA was insane earlier this year when they expressed displeasure that President Obama swatted a fly. I think the actual quote was something like "We would have preferred that he not harmed the fly."
  • - Is this Super Tofu Boy game actually any good?
    God no, it's horrible.
    God no, it's horrible.
    So is their Cooking Mama game.

They might be able to make some good games if they weren't so busy being holier-than-thou.
  • Friday Night Combat uses bacon as an actual power-up but hasn't been targeted. Maybe we need to make an meat promotion game.
  • Carcass Castle is a game in which the player is trapped in a horrible slaughterhouse version of Smash TV. Only by ruthlessly killing and consuming livestock will he survive the hordes of blood covered enemies and psychopaths coming to kill him and win A BRAND NEW CAR!!
  • 24-inch monitor get! :)
    God no, it's horrible.
    Hah, good to know. I wasn't about to go spend my time on trying it until I heard otherwise. In other news, Tofu Boy has been added to the actual Super Meat Boy game (Steam version) and can be unlocked by typing "petaphile" on the character select screen. The character is hilarious because he completely sucks ass. Observe:
  • PETA, you just got served!
  • The funny part of the situation is that the Edmund McMillen (the artist and half of the team behind Meat Boy) admitted today that they completely used PETA by going onto their forums with fake names and stirring up this controversy. It's successfully vaulted everyone's awareness of this awesome little game. Opinions are mixed base on people's moral and ethical compasses, but I say screw PETA. If they did this to an organization I cared about I might be a little ticked, but to me they are still two guys that made one of the best games I have played in a long, long time.
  • edited December 2010
    Champagne dinner.
    Ze bubbles, zey do something. Unlike ze goggles.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Zhe beer IS zhe goggles.
  • edited December 2010
    Zhe beer IS zhe goggles.
    But Ze Champagne iz not ze beerz! Ze Champagne iz ze fanzy specticalz.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I bought myself a new DSLR camera. And it just arrived! Yay!
  • I bought myself a new DSLR camera. And it just arrived! Yay!
    model?
  • Canon 60D. I do a lot of video work, and it is the first DSLR with both 1080 HD video and an articulated screen. It is certainly still an amateur camera, not professional equipment, but it is certainly the step up that I need.