This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I saw Weird Al at a concert a few years back, his performance was awesome. He is a great showman and he knows how to entertain his audience. (wasn't sure how he would come off in person but he's just the same as his recorded stuff.)
    The only time I got caught for Skipping school was when I skipped out of a school trip to watch Sweeny todd on stage, and went to see Wierd Al for the second time instead. Why did I get caught? Because I slipped out of the trip when everyone else filed into the theatre to see Sweeny Todd, and slipped into the hall where Wierd Al was playing, and bumped into my drama teacher. Who had taken a sick day off, to see the concert. We ended up sitting together, after agreeing not to tell anyone.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • RymRym
    edited February 2011
    I was never once punished for skipping class, but I was occasionally caught. Most of the teachers tacitly assumed any unexcused absence by an honor student was legitimate, and usually wouldn't even bother to mark it down. A simple and vaguely plausible excuse was all that was required otherwise. Hall monitors ignored us.

My basic list of excuses was:

1. I was in the music wing working on X (musical/pit orchestra/tutoring/drill/whatever)
    2. I was in the debate room finishing cards for X.
    3. I was in the AP Room (a sort of private lounge for honor students) "finishing a lab."
    4. I was in the theatre working on the set for X (whatever musical was in production at the time).
    5. I had a quiz bowl/debate/science olympiad meeting/event.

If anyone ever noticed that my excuse was false (e.g., a literature teacher asked the band director where I was, when in fact I was at home), I would simply pawn off a different excuse to the next teacher in the chain, which would filter back (Yeah, "I was going to help with the orchestra, but then I got called away to finish a lab.") Even if the excuses became entirely circular, everyone involved would eventually just chalk it up to confusion and let it go. ("Oh, yeah, I heard he was working on X, so whatever").

So long as I stayed away from the voc/tec and remedial education wings, no one would stop me in the halls. There was only one road open to escape the parking lot, but it was trivial to time one's exit to the rounds of the obese outdoor guard in his brown cavalier. Or, if security was heightened for whatever reason and you'd premeditated your skippage, it was trivial to just park off of school grounds and walk out.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2011
    Most of the teachers tacitly assumedanyunexcused absence by an honor student was legitimate, and usually wouldn't even bother to mark it down. A simple and vaguely plausible excuse was all that was required otherwise. Hall monitors ignored us.
    Well, there wasn't such things as hall monitors at my school - many, if not most schools here have a number of separate buildings, with ground-level walkways in between, so there's not much for a hall monitor to do, with the distinct lack of halls - however, at my school, there were practically no Honors students, and the few that did arise were not really the skipping school sort. If you skipped school a lot and didn't get into trouble, you were pretty much either lucky and/or cunning, or you were simply such a deadshit that the teachers were honestly happier with you anywhere other than school.

EDIT - the reason for building schools as such is simple - It's cheaper to cool a few classrooms that are in use(heating is rarely an issue here) than it is to cool entire buildings, and using large, connected buildings, it would heat up very quick.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There was pretty much nothing else to do at my first high school if you skipped class. That was a great reason not to skip class. Class was the most interesting thing to do on campus. Any time skipping class is a better option than going to class, one of two things is true: you are lame, or your class is lame.

At my second high school, which was residential, you just had to get the teacher to excuse you, which was generally trivial since ALL the students there were honors students. (It was a smart school that you had to apply for.) We generally didn't skip class though, unless there was a legitimate reason, because the teachers were AWESOME.
  • There was pretty much nothing else to do at my first high school if you skipped class. That was a great reason not to skip class.
    I mostly skipped the pointless non-honors general education classes that I couldn't weasel my way out of. "Life ed" was pointless by the time I reached high school, gym was a joke, and even in many of the AP classes I was better served by just reading the book.

I'd skip first period fairly often to nap, and 8th period just to go home early and get out on my bike in the woods. This was independent of whatever I had in those classes, though I'd usually schedule something pointless like an extra band class.

I'd almost always skip intra-day to sleep or play cards. AP Biology classes consisted almost entirely of a yearlong running Euchre game for me.
  • There was pretty much nothing else to do at my first high school if you skipped class.
    My high school was in the middle of a perfect storm of things to do - Within walking distance were many student's houses, a two Gaming/internet cafes, and a smattering of shops and takeaways. Within shouting distance of the school was a train station with trains to the city(and back, too) every half hour, and every 30 minutes not much further away were busses you could catch to three major shopping centers quite easily - Carindale(At the time, the biggest shopping center in the city), Garden city(second largest) and Chermside(Third largest at the time, now the biggest).
  • As long as you weren't skipping art.
    That being said, you'd be caught by me eventually. ;)
    And would be taught a lesson GTO style, no doubt. ;)
    More things need to be taught via german suplex.
  • edited February 2011
    Broken PS3 from 2006 Backwards compatible ($50)
    Heat Gun ($20)
    Arctic Silver Thermal Paste ($8)
    Youtube video on "How to fix YLOD" (Priceless)

The PS3 is alive! :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
    More things need to be taught via german suplex.
    I'd also give an assignment that would somehow fix a major personal problem.
    GTM: "We'll be making contour line drawings of our shoes today."
    Student: "My father never loved me! That's why I'm so aggressive towards my peers! Now that I have had this reflective moment, I can better myself as a person!"
    GTM: "You're welcome."
  • I am the proud owner of a new Macbook Pro...now I slowly have to get used to using it. ^^;
  • Had lunch with my friends at Nintendo today. Just saying, Nintendo cafe food > Boeing cafe food.

Also, got this at their company store.
  • I just got my sketchy former company to finally pay me the money they owed me (from my last paycheck). I used the power of MATHS at them!

I feel like the CITY'S TOP NEGOTIATOR.
  • CAST IN THE NAME OF GOOD

YE NOT GUILTY.

YE ARE A BAD CLIENT. *HAMMER FIST*

YE ARE A BAD CLIENT. *PISTON PUNCH*
    FTFY
  • I got about 5 hours of sleep, still managed to wake up early feeling fine.

So far this is a victory but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
  • I will write my first Protocol ever!
  • I finally got to unicycle outside today. I'm a bit rusty, but it still feels awesome to go outside.
  • Verizon offered me a discounted upgrade on a phone. I took the opportunity to order a HTC Droid Incredible.
  • Played Agricola at work today and taught 4 coworkers how to play.

On the clock.

As part of a project paid for by the USDA.

WIN.
  • Verizon offered me a discounted upgrade on a phone. I took the opportunity to order a HTC Droid Incredible.
    Shouldn't this be in Fail of your Day? At&t; all the way. Never dropped a call never had bad service had them for over 8 years.
  • Everyone complains about AT&T's service, but I never have problems.
  • AT&T is the best. I think all the people complaining are non att users.
  • So.... all our carriers work. There is never a moment regardless of your carrier or phone that you will get a weak signal, aside from situations and places that normal people with desk jobs would never find themselves in.

I'm pretty sure I can demand to to not pay if a call ever gets dropped cause of network interference.
  • I think the people who complain about dropped calls on their iPhones are accidentally hitting the "end call" button with their face and then calling it a dropped call. I rarely have problems with dropped calls when I remember to lock my phone's screen.

Also, my Edge network is often faster than Moe's 3G (verizon) in NYC proper. I find that hilarious.
  • Isn't the iPhone supposed to turn off and lock the screen automatically when you put it upright and against your face?
  • Isn't the iPhone supposed to turn off and lock the screen automatically when you put it upright and against your face?
    I don't know if the new on is, but mine is the first Gen and it doesn't. I often hung up by accident when it was against my face or in my pocket before I realized you can lock it.
  • edited February 2011

Shouldn't this be in Fail of your Day? At&t; all the way. Never dropped a call never had bad service had them for over 8 years.
    That's because you don't live in a bad area. From what I've heard in the Bay Area it's terrible. Voicemails will take days to come in.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on