This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited July 2011
    As cool as a custom steel totem or the regular wooden ones sound in theory, I think I much prefer our squishy plastic one.
    A custom metal token would still be cool, but next time, I'm making it out of aluminum instead of steel. As for wood, might turn a fancy one out of Camphor Laural, and then burn a bit of a pattern into it. I'm tempted to start selling them, but to handle that volume, I'd need to buy a lathe rather than just borrowing time on one, and I'm not sure I can justify that expenditure. I mean, even a decent small benchtop lathe is in the order of 500 bucks. I could get one for less, but if I learned one thing, it's that when you're buying machinery, you don't buy shitty machinery.

Seriously, also, if you like jungle speed, learn This game here. Can be played anywhere, with just a deck of cards and whatever implements you can find - I've played with spoons, pens, shots, empty smoke packets, keychains, knives, damn near anything you can think of.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Spoons is the shit.
  • Spoons is the shit.
    Ever played with knives?
  • edited July 2011
    Spoons is the shit.
    Ever played with knives?
    Nope, but that sounds exciting. Shots sounds the best, though.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Nope, but that sounds exciting. Shots sounds the best, though.
    Everyone wins - because the better you are at the game, the worse you get at the game.
  • My favorite game along those lines, that I've long since forgotten the rules to, is Egyptian Rat Screw.
  • Here are the rules to Egyptian Ratscrew. I played it lots in high school but have not since. From the sound of Jungle Speed though I think it is definitely a bit more intense. Ugh, I need to move to a city to play games with people.
  • Ended up going back for Steel Battalion and got $16 off. Turns out the pedals only need a new PS/2 connector; I more or less hit the jackpot.
  • edited July 2011
    Damn right! 'Gratz dude.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Damn right!
    Thanks for the kick in the ass I needed to go collect that thing, BTW.
  • Glad I could help.
  • Fireworks sound really cool downtown since they echo off the tall buildings.
  • edited July 2011
    Anime Expo ruled, cosplayed as Todd from Pokemon Snap, hung out with all my friends, watched fireworks in the harbor, discovered the superiority of messenger bags over backpacks.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Anime Expo ruled, cosplayed as Todd from Pokemon Snap, hung out with all my friends, watched fireworks in the harbor, discovered the superiority of messenger bags over backpacks.
    I dunno, I fitted a solid metric shit-ton of stuff into my backpack. Totally ruled.
  • For me, messenger bags win for comfort and accessibility. Carrying a lot of stuff in a backpack makes me hunch over, same load with a messenger bag does not. Also, you don't have to take a messenger bag off in order to put stuff in or take stuff out of it. It's also handy because I can have a water bottle in the side pocket and be able to grab it whenever I want.
  • Here are the rules to Egyptian Ratscrew. I played it lots in high school but have not since. From the sound of Jungle Speed though I think it is definitely a bit more intense. Ugh, I need to move to a city to play games with people.
    Egyptian Ratscrew is a really fun card game, and Jungle Speed takes the skill portion of Ratscrew and turns it up to about 15. In terms of good card games, I should probably learn Bridge sometime.
  • edited July 2011
    So I played my first four games of Settlers of Catan today. In a tournament. I made it through all four rounds and placed fourth out of 16. Everyone else that had played before.
    I played some recently (a couple with friends and some on the free online service), and there is definitely too much luck involved in the game when the players have a reasonable level of skill. The card stack options don't help much either.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • In response to what I posted in the Fail thread last night, my first experience with T-Mobile's customer service is an A+!
  • I broke a little button on my headset which can still be accessed using a pencil, but I figure I may as well contact logitech (where I bought it from) to see what they'll do. I'm now getting a second headset, free of charge, without having to prove damages, and without having to return my old one. Logitech <3~
  • I got a mention on a Japanese website! It's the blog of my friend who did the animation I showed a while ago.
  • Today, I was feeling like absolute shit. Depressed, Useless, and Completely unable to do my paper for Summer Classes. And I was just not motivated to do anything because my bizarre sleeping patterns have left me in pain and deprived. And I knew I wouldn't have the motive to do the paper, because I had to go drive all the way to Harrisonburg to get groceries at my farmer's market and pay rent to the apartment complex.

It is the very last month I have to pay rent. It's happy, but at the same time, it's the least of my family's worries just from the overwhelming stress with my family, my uncle being such a miserable pothead and our grandfather possibly going to a nursing home. I wanted to fight the Apartment Complex on the issue, but my parents were paying and didn't want to. But, I had one of those moments simply as I was driving off the road the complex was on.

I see one of my old roommates driving in a completely different car, with a suit and tie and completely well dressed. (And this was not the roommate who huffed the propane in the first place) For the longest time, I knew him as being apathetic. I was even doubting if it was him. But no, the hair, the glasses, and he pulled into the street with the building I used to live at.

I started to think...was me moving out and calling the cops the motivation he needed to finally go back to school and graduate? Because he never did anything as I lived there, just lived minimalistically, spent all of the time on his computer, only leaving to buy alcohol and cigarettes. I bonded with him, but lost connection with him once he bonded with the bad roommate. Smoking nonstop, talking about drugs, and openly having some within the apartment. The bad roommate left in a weird sense of coincidence, back home to Georgia because his father and brother knew he was still heavily addicted to substances.

I really have been reflecting if me living back with my family had been a good thing...and in some ways, it has. I got to hang out with my brother's new friends who are super fun and enthusiastic, who got me into D&D which is now such a loved ritual. I started to get more into cooking, which has really started to shape my hobby into a passion because of how often I cook for my brother and friends. My mother now is able to have some support with all of the drama with her business and family affairs, which I can much better support her with. (Due to my brother and dad's more irritable behavior) Even if my good roommate merely just came into the possession of a lot of money, it still feels like from seeing him just in that brief period of time, to change from the stoner/slacker to full-on, responsible person just gives me...peace.

My depression faded, I feel awake and euphoric, and completely ready to embrace what my life is prepared for.
  • edited July 2011
    I can't really compare to the previous post but I decided to unicycle around campus on my lunch break and got cheers from passerby. I love hearing people point me out to their friends.
    Post edited by jmerm on
  • For me, messenger bags win for comfort and accessibility. Carrying a lot of stuff in a backpack makes me hunch over, same load with a messenger bag does not. Also, you don't have to take a messenger bag off in order to put stuff in or take stuff out of it.
    I like messenger bags for the accessibility, but if I've got a few big books in there, it starts to kill my shoulder. Do you not find that to be a problem? If I were going to a con where I'd be buying stuff, I'd definitely be taking a backpack.
  • I have discovered Emacs Org-Mode. My search for the perfect project-planning/note-taking/organizational program seems to be over.
  • For me, messenger bags win for comfort and accessibility. Carrying a lot of stuff in a backpack makes me hunch over, same load with a messenger bag does not. Also, you don't have to take a messenger bag off in order to put stuff in or take stuff out of it.
    I like messenger bags for the accessibility, but if I've got a few big books in there, it starts to kill my shoulder. Do you not find that to be a problem? If I were going to a con where I'd be buying stuff, I'd definitely be taking a backpack.
    And if you get posters, there's no better carrrying method (other than tube) than putting it vertically in the backpack and having it stick up like a bumpercar antenna.
  • I like life.
  • I like life.
    Me too! *high five*
  • I like life.
    High-fucking-five, man. You give me hope.
  • edited July 2011
    I like life.
    I hope not since you posted that message. That would be fucking depressing. Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 at 16:30 UTC.
    Post edited by Not nine on