This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• After months and months of both toying with a story idea and not knowing how to begin the narrative for it, today I finally figured it out! I'm now in automatic mode, just writing pages and pages of the storyline.
  • Had my last exam for a couple of months and compaired Ringo Star to Cassius not to bad. Getting in contact with my old Japanese teacher, pretty big win :)
  • Ah just to be a douche and double post. Finished my last exam and now am plotting my mouse guard campaign.
  • A while ago I posted in the "What movie did you see" thread that I saw "Only Yesterday" in theaters and that I was very moved by it. Well as soon as I got home, I imported a Region 2 copy of it from the UK (Damn You Disney) a few weeks ago.

Today, I just got it in the mail. I'm going to completely re-author it and change it so it will not only play on my DVD player, but also so the sound is akin to NTSC sound (I despise PAL sound). I've got a long night ahead of me...but its worth it.
  • What are the differences between PAL and NTSC sound? I've been in a PAL region for four months now, and I haven't noticed any differences.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2012
    What are the differences between PAL and NTSC sound? I've been in a PAL region for four months now, and I haven't noticed any differences.
    If you've become accustomed to it, you wouldn't notice it. If you put NTSC and PAL side-by-side, the difference becomes somewhat apparent. The difference is that PAL video is faster in terms of frames per second, because of the way PAL operates (NTSC is usually 24 fps and PAL is usually either 25 or 30 fps). Because of this, they have to stretch the sound out to keep up with that 1(or 5) fps difference. To the ear, PAL audio tends to have a much higher pitched sound due to the increased speed.

Post edited by Geo on
  • The More You Know! I'll have to check that out.
  • A while ago I posted in the "What movie did you see" thread that I saw "Only Yesterday" in theaters and that I was very moved by it. Well as soon as I got home, I imported a Region 2 copy of it from the UK (Damn You Disney) a few weeks ago.

Today, I just got it in the mail. I'm going to completely re-author it and change it so it will not only play on my DVD player, but also so the sound is akin to NTSC sound (I despise PAL sound). I've got a long night ahead of me...but its worth it.
    Oh man, you should have bought the Japanese edition. All Ghibli domestic releases on DVD come with a really good English subtitle track. Since I am pretty sure dub was not your goal, the region 2 NTSC Japanese release would have been the way to go.

• Real arcade right down the road from the guest house I'm staying at in Kyoto as well as multiple shops selling matcha Kit-Kats (which I've been jonesing for since last PAX East when one of y'all [don't remember who] gave me one they brought back from Japan).
  • edited January 2012
    Kyoto has the best souvenirs. Make sure you try Yatsuhashi too!
    PS: What guest house? We stayed at one in Gion called Ryokan Okuda.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I had some very tasty donburi last night, and I'll be sure to try me some of that while I'm here. Jalan-do. It was build last year and is very ritzy looking. Way better than most hotel's I've been to and it's right across the river from Gion.
  • An airsoft store just opened up about 20 minutes from me, and has a pretty decent selection of higher end stuff, with a smattering of equipment and supplies. Also, a dedicated airsoft field opened around the same area.. so I am pretty "stoked" as they say.
  • Wall covered in books. BEST. WALLPAPER. EVER.
  • Wall covered in books. BEST. WALLPAPER. EVER.
    I'm so tired of physical books. Such a pain to move.
  • Accidently rode the nozumi shinkansen with my JR Pass (a nono) and the ticket checker guy let me off with a warning instead of making me buy the ticket.
  • Accidently rode the nozumi shinkansen with my JR Pass (a nono) and the ticket checker guy let me off with a warning instead of making me buy the ticket.
    Wakarimasen. Wakarimasen.

Whoops! They really made sure to tell us ahead of time that Nozomi was NG for the Rail Pass! It's confusing, no? Glad they were understanding.
  • edited January 2012
    *giggles like a ninny*
    I bought the final components for my arduino powered rover a few days ago and it shipped today!

What could those components be? XBEE!!!
    THAT'S BITCHES! MAH ROVERS GOIN WIRELESS!!
    ^______________________________________^
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm getting me a motherfucking scooter.
  • I filed my god damn taxes. WINHOLE.
    Wow, I didn't think anyone got W2s this early...
    electronic W-2's rock.
    I got my W2s (paper) almost two weeks ago. Ended up owing money but...
  • Florence + The Machine in the corner store while I was getting noms. It was nice to hear an English song that's not Party Rock.
    I filed my taxes on 01/03/2012.
    electronic W-2's rock.
    Quite, I filed mine last week. Government needs to give me back my god damn money.
    electronic W-2's rock.
    Quite, I filed mine last week. Government needs to give me back my god damn money.
    Everyone's a lower-taxes-conservative when tax season comes! I'm too lazy to put in the tags, so imagine that is in green text.
    electronic W-2's rock.
    Everyone's a lower-taxes-conservative when tax season comes! I'm too lazy to put in the tags, so imagine that is in green text.
    No, the tax rate is what it is and they always take too much. I think it's only fair to want back what is legally mine.
    electronic W-2's rock.
    No, the tax rate is what it is and they always take too much. I think it's only fair to want back what is legally mine.
    Of course it's fair, I 100% agree. I just think it's funny. I can't wait for my money back too, although I'm in no way counting on it. I'd be OK with never getting it back if that meant an improvement to services. I also don't believe in any non-profit strongly enough to donate my entire refund to them.
  • I filed my taxes on 01/03/2012.
    You filed them... IN THE FUTURE? Tell us what it was like, time traveling and such.