This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• They only take too much if you set up your withholding incorrectly. I owe every year, on purpose. It's basically a free loan from the government at zero interest.
    The Government needs my money for a while. That and if you own a house deducting your mortgage interest gives you BIG money back.

• ...oh

Oh?

• Should I now explain this joke?
  • I now have a second second-hand monitor.

My graphics card only supports two screens at once so I have to turn one off when using my TV. #FirstWorldProblems
  • My graphics card only supports two screens at once so I have to turn one off when using my TV. #FirstWorldProblems
    You can't have your computer and television on at the same time?

• I mean as a monitor. Basic logic.
  • edited January 2012
    Looks like Penn Jillette and Michael Goudeau are starting a podcast.
    If you liked PennRadio, PennPoint, PennSays, or the book, or . . . me, you might want to follow @PennSunday. It's my new Podcast.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Penn Jillette, Michael Goudeau and a chorus of 666 discuss things they don't understand.

Penn Jillette, Michael Goudeau and a chorus

Penn Jillette, Michael Goudeau

Michael Goudeau

• This is a good thing. PennSays and PennPoint got really hard to watch after a while without someone to balance him out.
  • This is a good thing. PennSays and PennPoint got really hard to watch after a while without someone to balance him out.
    Yeah, I found myself really missing Goudeau as well, for several reasons. Also, not a big fan of Penn using a handheld camera to film himself (though Penn Point was much more tolerable than Penn Says).
  • So I bought my plane tickets for PAX today. I tweeted about buying my tickets with using @JetBlue as well as saying, "Also @JetBlue please don't let me see a cheaper sale after I just purchased the tickets. I really don't want to get that feeling of remorse." Because I know they have really good one day specials every now and then.

They send me a PM saying, "If you see the exact same flight/same day go down, give us a call and we will honor the lower fare with a JetBlue credit. Hope that helps! "

Seriously. I don't really know how other airlines operate, but within a few hours I get a response. I normally don't expect anything, but it really doesn't surprise me too much since they helped me out last year when I booked the wrong dates for PAX East and gave me a $200 credit.

Jet Blue is the best.
  • I'm gonna buy my tickets very shortly, does Jet Blue advertise on sites like Kayak?
  • edited February 2012
    I have no idea. I just go directly to their site. If you select Travel Deals, they have some decent deals going on right now, but nothing that would have benefited me.

Plus they don't have a First Class section, just a "more leg room section" for an extra $50. You don't need it though, because my boyfriend has the longest legs and when we flew Jet Blue last year he was amazed and how much room he had in the normal seats. It has never happened with other airlines.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I have also had companies help me out over Twitter, which is nice. It goes both ways, though. I once had the head software developer for Sibelius trying to pick a fight after complaining that their program was too expensive.
  • I have also had companies help me out over Twitter, which is nice. It goes both ways, though. I once had the head software developer for Sibelius trying to pick a fight after complaining that their program was too expensive.
    son, i wwebsite as on the internet when you were a sperm in your daddys balls!
  • son, i wwebsite as on the internet when you were a sperm in your daddys balls!
    I kind of want to make a sure that says "son, I wwebsite as on the internet" and wear it to PAX.

• Sure you do.
  • It currently is my 3DS Mii greeting. Well just the "I wwebsite."
  • I once had the head software developer for Sibelius trying to pick a fight after complaining that their program was too expensive.
    Now for a more serious comment on the subject - This is kind of an inherent problem with pro-tool sort of software. Adobe has a similar issue. When you have such a small, niche market for your software, it pretty much has to be expensive for the developer to be able to profit. It sucks for people like you who are hobbyists or indie artists and don't have that sort of cash, but I think it's an unfortunate reality of the situation.
  • edited February 2012
    When you have such a small, niche market for your software
    Is it not fair to say that, were this actually the case, Avid and Adobe wouldn't be such huge companies? They charge so much because they are industry-standards, and not only that, but there have effectively no competition because theirs is the only software worth a damn. They aren't niche by any stretch of the imagination, either, especially in the age where everyone has a DeviantArt page and everyone wants to be a DJ, and not only that, but the CAN be because all it takes is a decent computer.

[Edit] I should clarify that I wasn't tweeting directly @ Sibelius or tagging them in any way, just musing to myself about how I couldn't afford to pay for Sibellius and the developer dude tried to convince me that I could.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Due to mental medical circumstances, my English teacher is discounting the F that I earned last term.
  • So I bought my plane tickets for PAX today. I tweeted about buying my tickets with using @JetBlue as well as saying, "Also @JetBlue please don't let me see a cheaper sale after I just purchased the tickets. I really don't want to get that feeling of remorse." Because I know they have really good one day specials every now and then.

They send me a PM saying, "If you see the exact same flight/same day go down, give us a call and we will honor the lower fare with a JetBlue credit. Hope that helps! "
    More and more companies are offering really good online customer service through Twitter. Verizon has been really good, too. It's often WAY faster than waiting on the phone.

• My not-crazy-but-actually-awesome roommate knocked on my door today to show me a costume she had made for someone YEARS ago that had been returned. Apparently the commission was paid in full, but the customer was unhappy with how much skin it showed and refused to wear it.
    HOWEVER, the costume fits me perfectly and is of a character I've kind of backburner wanted to cosplay: Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue.
    It's missing boot-covers, gloves, and a hat... but nothing I can't manage. We're talking about fixing it up together, getting one really good photoshoot in, and then selling it on coscom.

In unrelated boo-yahs, I've made cupcakes from scratch twice in one week with two different awesome friends, AND I'm ahead in pretty much all of my classes. I was the first to finish my mock-up for the fancy Victorian ballgown I'm making for The Elephant Man, and this time around I'm making a costume for a MAIN CHARACTER, not a side character! That, and my Scene Design professor liked my designs and has given me permission to keep going whereas she's making the rest of the class rework their's.

AND AND AND! Crazy roommate is moving out. Either now, or in a few months... depending on how things go. This will mean I'll either have to find new roommates AGAIN, or a new place to live, but EH. Small sacrifices.

It's been a pretty damn good day. :D
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    In my Digital Video Arts II class today. I, and the rest of the DVA II classmates, were taken aside by my professor and told about this really big project she has put together independent of the class. She has collaborated with both this trippy avant-garde filmmaker and a professional opera director. The director is holding this performance of freaky opera called Pierrot Lunaire, which consists of 21 different poems being sung in a performance.

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/assemble_texts.html?SongCycleId=180

They have come to Erika (my professor) because they also want to use a gigantic projector to project accompanying video artwork (animation, live-action, stop-motion, cut-outs, and other similar kinds of art) alongside the opera. She has chosen all the members of the DVA II class, which includes myself, and many members of her other video class she teaches at ECA (Educational Center for the Arts) to undertake this project. All of us need to make some kind of video art for each one of the 21 poems.

This is really exciting and it is the first time any of my work will be seen by an actual audience.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Free karaoke and beers because the Englishmen decided that they'd foot the bill.
  • Looks like Penn Jillette and Michael Goudeau are starting a podcast.
    If you liked PennRadio, PennPoint, PennSays, or the book, or . . . me, you might want to follow @PennSunday. It's my new Podcast.
    I'm stealing your Boo yah! :) Thanks for sharing this.
  • Learning more about proteins today. Pretty sure I know what I want to do with my life. It entails significantly less money and significantly more work, but I'll enjoy myself more in the end.
  • edited February 2012
    The pokemon center in Tokyo is great. Were it not $50 I would have gotten this awesome Cubone shirt.
    Post edited by Ruffas on