This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• That's normally how it goes. I've seen ER copays range from $50-$150.
  • I remember when mine were $25. They're $100 now, after deductible. Every plan I have a choice of this year has a deductible. Also FSA is capped at $2500 this year instead of $3500, apparently, which blows.
  • Well my parents were scaring me saying that I probably had a deductible I had to pay.
  • Oh, I also just made the last payment on my credit card debt. ^_^

I put $100 of the money I was budgeting for the credit card into my car payment and the rest is going into savings.
  • Oh, I also just made the last payment on my credit card debt. ^_^

I put $100 of the money I was budgeting for the credit card into my car payment and the rest is going into savings.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2012
    Bought Amazon stock a long time ago, sold it at a peak before a long decline.

Bought Amazon recently at a low point in a long decline...

... and appear to have caught it at the absolute bottom!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Nice! We managed to do the same thing with my company's stock. It's a good feeling.

Also... *drumroll*

TA DA!
  • edited November 2012
    "Only Sean Long's friends can see the map for this activity."

Priny screen it bru.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That is terrible. Anyway, here is the important bit.

5k! WOO! That's a year's goal there.
  • Nice! So what allowed you to reach the goal?
  • Taking 5 days off. I think I may have never really let my legs heal or do whatever they need to do to make running a longer distance easier.
  • One of my students plays in an orchestra in her home country. She needed some place to play since she doesn't want to disturb her neighbors with her practicing. Went down to ask the music department if we could work something out. Since students in the intensive English school aren't technically university students, I was expecting some finagling. What we did not expect was for her to be ushered into at least two orchestras.
  • edited November 2012
    Ordered a Nexus 4.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited November 2012
    Ordered a Nexus 4.
    Patiently clicking 'Purchase' didn't work, but spamming the button sure did.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I actually ordered during intermission at the theater on my phone over a 1X internet connection of all things. Worked the first time without trouble.
  • edited November 2012
    Ordered a Nexus 4.
    I pulled mine off after about 3 hours of trying, but the first batch of attempts were in the middle of a class where the professor went *off* on this one guy dicking around on his laptop. Pokerfaced like a pro.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited November 2012
    A friend of mine gave me a 46" LED TV for nothing. The picture is a little messed up when you turn it on, but after maybe 20 minutes or so it fixes itself. I'm breaking it in by watching Crank 2.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Ordered a Nexus 4.
    I pulled mine off after about 3 hours of trying, but the first batch of attempts were in the middle of a class where the professor went *off* on this one guy dicking around on his laptop. Pokerfaced like a pro.
    Unfortunately for me, it seems that that new batch of Nexus 4's was U.S. only.
  • Well this is pretty cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20547195
    That last quote in the article, though...
    Paul Bate, of the European Educators Christian Association, agreed schools should teach a broad and balanced curriculum: "Science and religion need each other in this debate. Albert Einstein, one of the greatest scientists of all time said, 'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.'"
    It's funny (and kind of sad) that this is being considered a "debate."
  • Its a step in the right direction though. The Church of England got ruined when they said no to female bishops and relented. There is also the usual problem of making sure that everyone is kept happy. The real tricky one will be getting it so that self funding schools have to teach this as well.
  • "Einstein was not an atheist, therefore evolution should be taught alongside creationism in public schools."

Nice fallacious appeal to authority, bro.
  • Especially Einstein himself was a self-admitted agnostic who didn't believe in a personal god. Admittedly, he wasn't an atheist and wasn't a fan of "pure" (for lack of a better term) atheists, but he certainly wasn't religious.
  • I've always heard Einstein referred to as a deist.
  • Einstein's views on religion were probably too complicated to sum up in a single word like "atheist," "agnostic," or "deist." About all that could be said about him in a single statement was that he wasn't particularly religious.
  • I also feel the need to point out that quote is likely referring to a philosophical outlook on life rather than against the separation of church & state or really any practical situation.
  • I also feel the need to point out that quote is likely referring to a philosophical outlook on life rather than against the separation of church & state or really any practical situation.
    Quite true. Or as noted atheist J. Michael Straczynski once wrote: "Faith and reason are like a pair of shoes. You'll walk much further wearing both than with only one or the other."
  • The problem is that with the faith shoe on, you're all too likely to end up walking in the wrong direction.
  • The problem is that with the faith shoe on, you're all too likely to end up walking in the wrong direction.
    Not if you also have the reason shoe on, which keeps you walking properly. Walking with one shoe on is somewhat awkward, if you haven't noticed... You also have to make sure you have the proper shoes on the proper feet as well.
  • edited December 2012
    The problem is that with the faith shoe on, you're all too likely to end up walking in the wrong direction.
    Not if you also have the reason shoe on, which keeps you walking properly. Walking with one shoe on is somewhat awkward, if you haven't noticed...
    Well, the greater problem is that no matter how good your shoes, it doesn't matter if you have your eyes closed.

Setting the analogy aside, though, I really don't see any real value to be had in faith, unless you're being sneaky with the definition.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on