This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I like to order Chipotle like I am going to be hit by a bus the moment I finish that burrito. Over break, I'm probably going to order a bowl with "Extra Everything."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Now I want our version of Chipotle for food. I hate you guys.

Cheese and sour cream ALWAYS never.
  • I have never had a burrito before. What am I missing.
  • edited December 2012
    A colon catastrophe. Totally worth it.
    Post edited by canine224 on
    Life.
  • I get that impression. I know of no place over here that would do one which doesn't taste of balls.
    Time to burn your birth certificate because you, sir, have never lived.
  • Its not a complicated food. Just find a recipe and make yourself some delicious burritos.
  • I really want that "authentic" taste. If I have monies for PAX Prime its on the list of foods I want to get.
  • That "authentic taste" is a mix of filling and spices that are readily available at your local grocey store. Seriously, just make a burrito.
  • edited December 2012
    He has a point, though. If you've never had a burrito before, how are you supposed to know if you did it right?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That's what recipies are for!
    A burrito, one suspects.
  • AmpAmp
    edited December 2012
    Trust me it will go wrong.
    I have never had a burrito before. What am I missing.
    A burrito, one suspects.
    The case is closed.

Post edited by Amp on
  • For some reason it really frustrates me that you have so many lame excuses to talk yourself out of making burritos.
  • edited December 2012
    Get ready; I'm dropping mad knowledge here.

Guac:
    Two avocados, ripe. Scoop out the flesh from each and place it in a bowl. I'd usually recommend a mortar and pestle, but you're in the UK; you want a bowl and a potato masher. Half a lime, juice it into the bowl. Slice a garlic clove ultra-thin, ala Goodfellas. Toss that into the bowl. Mash while adding sea salt (NOT Kosher salt) gradually and tasting, until adequately salted and at your desired consistency.

Carnitas:
    This is the tricky bit. Follow this recipe. Render about a quarter-cup of lardons into the slow cooker beforehand. The addition of bacon to Mexican cuisine is a large part of how you get the "authentic flavor."

Rice: Add some cilantro and juice half a lime into it while warming it in a pan with a touch of butter.

Beans: Rick Bayless, always and forever.

Salsa: Roast two jalapenos, two tomatillos, a large tomato, and a clove of garlic. Chuck them into a blender and break it down. Incorporate one small diced white onion.

Now, get the biggest tortilla you can find. RATIOS ARE ESSENTIAL. In the middle of the tortilla, add a cup of rice, a half-cup of carnitas, a half-cup of beans. Add sour cream, guac, lettuce, salsa, cheese, sauteed bell peppers and onions (carmelize them), and roasted sweet corn as you like.

Then, roll that shit up and live the dream.
  • AmpAmp
    edited December 2012
    For some reason it really frustrates me that you have so many lame excuses to talk yourself out of making burritos.
    Eh its a combined mixture of being a poor student, lack of time to get hold of the stuff and then making it. Also for something like this I would totally end up making something that is good for me but when given to someone who has actually tasted a proper burrito it would be arse. That said I shall give it a crack not that WUB has given me some killer recipes and report back, assuming I don't die.

Post edited by Amp on
  • The nice thing about a burrito is that the most expensive part is the meat, and you're turning 4lbs shitty pork shoulder into a delicacy. Then, just use the rest of it on tacos over several days.
  • AmpAmp
    edited December 2012
    It depends meat is getting really expensive at the moment. The local market has some stuff that is more reasonable but over all its getting pricy. It would be easier at home where I could get some rabbits and be fine for the week but they frown on it when its the petting zoo.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • WindUpBird, you make some rather tasty sounding burritos. Replace the meat with tofu and I may have to make that one myself. I tend to just be a "see what I have available" type of person when it comes to burritos.
  • edited December 2012
    It depends meat is getting really expensive at the moment. The local market has some stuff that is more reasonable but over all its getting pricy. It would be easier at home where I could get some rabbits and be fine for the week but they frown on it when its the petting zoo.
    A Rabbit Burrito would be nuts. Is pork shoulder really that expensive in the UK right now? It's always pretty cheap here because it takes 10hrs to get it tender enough to be delicious.
    WindUpBird, you make some rather tasty sounding burritos. Replace the meat with tofu and I may have to make that one myself. I tend to just be a "see what I have available" type of person when it comes to burritos.
    Thanks! I usually just go to Chipotle because burrito prep is pretty lengthy and comparatively pricey for a student. That said, I recommend it if you can't get access to authentic 'ritos.

Now, as far as authentic tacos go: Make the carnitas, get small tortillas, mince some cilantro and dice an onion. Add a small amount of carnitas and a quarter that amount of onions and cilantro. Squeeze a bit of fresh lime over each taco. That carnitas will be enough to make tacos for you and your girl for a week.
  • That's what recipies are for!
    suuuuuure, and when I arrived at the christmas party on thursday with the traditional british dish bread sauce the hostes looked at me and said with distaste "what is that?".
  • Never had a burrito and I don't want one.
  • Not my booh yah, but a vicarious booh yah for the guy in this video...
    Speaking as someone who doesn't like food, I think you should try it. It's good but still doesn't taste too much.
  • A bit late with this but on Friday, not only did I get tickets to see Neil Young but it was also announced that the 2014 Tour De France will start in Leeds. Makes it much easier to tick off seen the Tour Live from my list when it is in my home city.
  • edited December 2012
    Never had a burrito and I don't want one.
    Speaking as someone who doesn't like food, I think you should try it. It's good but still doesn't taste too much.
    I don't like food either, but I don't like trying at all. Depends on what's actually inside it, too. I don't like beans.

Post edited by Axel on
    I don't like food either, but I don't like trying at all. Depends on what's actually inside it, too. I don't like beans.
    The beans aren't the heart of the burrito. Cheese meat and rice in a tortilla is quite good.
  • Not a rice person.
  • No beans, no rice...what do you eat?